• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Purulent Mastitis in Unspayed Female Dog

K

kelley

Flynn, our un-spayed, 5-year old Chesapeake Bay, has two infected nipples on her left side, the two highest on her chest. A purulent smelling crust is forming on the outside of the nipples which are a bit enlarged and swollen, but not hard. The largest of the two nipples is slightly inflamed, reddish.

On Dec 20 she had a severe, painful injury to her CCL. She was immediately put on Arnica and has been recovering; however, since the injury, I have noticed that a clear, watery discharge from her nose on a few occasions. Also, both ears have a bland discharge.

No history of mammary growths. She has had phantom pregnancies, at least twice. Her last estrus bleeding stopped on December 7. Prior to that she went into heat every six months; however, she skipped the heat that should have occurred in October.
Two weeks ago there was a bit of brownish spotting on the bed, and today she was acting slightly amorous to our other dog.

Although her overall BEAM seems excellent, there are intermittent times at night that she has trouble sleeping and seems uncomfortable, changes position. Noticeable since her CCL injury.
Likes to be covered at night.

Hates to be inside during the day. Prior to her injury, a very athletic dog. Her personality is very loving to her family, easily saddened or dispirited. Cautious and easily frightened.

Been thinking about Hepar Sulph or Pulsatilla.

Reply All

Forward

© 2018 Oath Inc. All Rights Reserved

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Kelley-

Sorry I missed this 3 days ago (I typically only check the folders and need to move this discussion into the medical folder) but was glad to hear yesterday during the office Empower Hour! that she's doing better.

Have you been hot compressing?

Dr. Jeff

K

kelley

Sorry, I have been negligent not to update this post.

Here's what happened:

For the mastitis, I did some compressing but also used calendula ointment topically which worked very well. Immediate reduction in redness and swelling. However, it wasn't totally getting rid of the problem.

In early February, Flynn started having a lot of morning nausea--eating grass, refusing food, better if I could get some food down her. Raw meat disgusted her. On Feb 16, she vomited  large amount of yellow fluid. I had been considering Pulsatilla for some weeks and on that day I started her on 1LM. The following week she was agitated and her teats became swollen, also started nesting. At that point it was obvious (even to me) that she was having a false pregnancy. Repeated the remedy on the 19th, 20th, 25th, 27th. A possible indication that the remedy was having an effect is that we were on a walk and there was a distant noise similar to a gun report that she completely ignored. Normally she is very sensitive, easily frightened by noises or situations, and her ignoring such a thing was remarkable.

Not sure when the phantom puppies delivered--probably at the end of February. She did better in March, symptoms slowly decreasing. I increased the potency and gave it only twice during the month.

By April, she only had her morning nausea twice, but much milder than in the past, and was willing to be coaxed into eating. Her teats were less swollen and the nipples appeared healthy. She was very energetic, swimming everyday which makes her exceedingly happy. Received the remedy only twice, at the beginning and end of the month.

I have no clear sense if the remedy contributed to her progress or the phantom pregnancy just ran its course. I do feel, however, that Pulsatilla is a good constitutional match for her so I shall stay with it.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Excellent!

Yes, it is is indeed sometimes not clear whether the body was already healing, or whether it was started or accelerated by the remedy.

Remedy responses are often not cut and dry in chronic conditions. Unlike acute.

Bottom line is that she's better!

Good work.

Dr. Jeff

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom