• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

PPDH Diagnosis care

CarianneB

Community Member
Registered
1. Neeko
2. 1.5 years
3. Male
4. Neutered
5. Not sure
6. 15 lbs
7. December 2022, diagnosis of Peritoneopericardial Diaphragmatic Hernia. I actually brought him in due to not being able to bare weight on his front right leg. Which is better now.
8. Running, going down the stairs and being touched.
9. I do not have them, but blood work was done. Xrays and a CT scan.
10. Surgery, when signs of decline happen.
11. Eating. He postures, then lies down on his side. Right side. Always the right side.
12. Kibble, and wet. Trying to get him on raw. Extremley difficult, as he does not eat well. Never has, really.
13. Paper work just says vaccination. He is not on any meds.
14. Very happy boy. Just wants to play. Loves being outdoors. Our backyard is a catio. He cannot get out.
15. Happy and wants to eat, but cannot eat that much. Has energy until he doesn't. Seems happy, until he powers down, then is cranky.

I am looking for some care tips for him until we can get out of town for the surgery.
@Dr. Jeff
I don't know who else to tag with this.

Neeko_Aug2021.jpg

HA! Support

Administrator
All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Carianne.

I'm sorry that you and Neeko are going through this, but glad you posted about it here in the Forum. I am going to add @Dr. Christina and @Dr. Jean Hofve to the tags along with @Dr. Jeff

Hugs for you both! (If you want them)

Kim - Holistic Actions! Support

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for making your first post Cariann.

I'm super sorry to hear about Neeko's hernia and need for surgery.

Aside from his finicky appetite (which may improve after surgery), Neeko's BEAM sound's great!

Has he ever had respiratory issues? Any vomiting?

About when do you expect to schedule his surgery?

In the meantime, his love of being outside shows us that this is where he should be as much as possible. This "Love Therapy" along with your frequent loving massages and beaming love to him will help him do well until the diaphragmatic hernia is fixed.

It will also help him recover faster from surgery.

Perhaps try to reduce his access to dry food as much as possible. Try fresh (not raw) foods like chicken, beef, fish, etc. Any fresh food he eats, and especially if you find something he loves, will help.

It would also be great to try playing the hunt for treats game with tiny bits of freeze-dried chicken/turkey hearts.

Drs. Jean, Christina and @Dr. Sara may have other suggestions.

CarianneB

Community Member
Registered
Thanks for making your first post Cariann.

I'm super sorry to hear about Neeko's hernia and need for surgery.

Aside from his finicky appetite (which may improve after surgery), Neeko's BEAM sound's great!

Has he ever had respiratory issues? Any vomiting?

About when do you expect to schedule his surgery?

In the meantime, his love of being outside shows us that this is where he should be as much as possible. This "Love Therapy" along with your frequent loving massages and beaming love to him will help him do well until the diaphragmatic hernia is fixed.

It will also help him recover faster from surgery.

Perhaps try to reduce his access to dry food as much as possible. Try fresh (not raw) foods like chicken, beef, fish, etc. Any fresh food he eats, and especially if you find something he loves, will help.

It would also be great to try playing the hunt for treats game with tiny bits of freeze-dried chicken/turkey hearts.

Drs. Jean, Christina and @Dr. Sara may have other suggestions.
Hello @Dr. Jeff !
Thank you for the reply. When I change is food, or even give him a tsp of a different food, he gets diarrhea and an upset stomach. I will keep trying though. He sometimes eats lettuce. Weird, but he does.
I cannot say he has had any respiratory issues, but he cannot sit up for too long. He lays on his right side the majority of the time.
I do cut up the freeze dried hearts and give them to him. Sometimes he eats them, sometimes not.
The surgery will be the middle of February. Fingers crossed he, and I will be ready and he recovers quickly and safely.
I am very grateful for your reply, again, thank you.

No vomiting.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Since you have a little time, I would strongly suggest beginning to work with a veterinary homeopath (can consult virtually), or if one is near you, one trained in Chinese veterinary medicine (acupuncture Plus). this will address recovery from surgery and even the picky appetite and digestive upsets.

I would also read the 5 lesson Holistic Pet Health 101 course at the HA! website.

When I change is food, or even give him a tsp of a different food, he gets diarrhea and an upset stomach. I will keep trying though. He sometimes eats lettuce. Weird, but he does.

Keep offering all different foods, even like lettuce. tomato sauce, spices, tuna, sardines, broccoli, bread, ... nothing is off limits. Work on the microbiome of the gut - probiotics, digestive enzymes, fermented broths (several companies), raw goats milk, maybe even a fecal transplant. All this will build vitality and aid recovery from surgery. many cats like Dream Treats from Wysong. Anything he does love can be added as topping to every meal.

Dr. Christina

CarianneB

Community Member
Registered
Hello again.
Neeko had surgery on the 14th. He is on the road to recovery. I am giving him Arnica 30c at the moment, but I feel I should be giving him more to assist his recovery.
I have tried to get a homeopathic Dr. to get some advise, but to no avail, at this point. They are extremely hard to find in Canada that will do on line appointments.
He is eating, drinking, had 1 semi solid bowel movement and urinating. He is frustrated he is in a kennel and can't run around with his buddies. He is very cold and I am putting warm blankets on him and he is on a pet heating pad.
I have a little knowledge regarding tissue salts or cell salts, but not a pro by any means.
I am babbling now. Apologizes, and TIA.
@Dr. Christina @Dr. Jeff

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Carianne!

I'm so glad to hear that Neeko is already recovering from his big surgery!!

In post-op situations it's often that the Arnica is not being given frequently enough, or is not being given in water and often is not a high enough potency.

Other acute remedies are often only needed based on 4 P symptomsINFOGRAPHICS 4 p's.jpeg

If you are not already dosing in water perhaps add 1 pellet to 1 up of bottled/filtered water and succuss and dose up to 4x a day (or whenever he seems uncomfortable). And if you're able to order a higher potency (200c, 1M, 10M, etc.), that also can help.

He should be feeling much better by the end of the weekend.

CarianneB

Community Member
Registered
Oh excellent!! Yes, I do put the Arnica in water. It is 30c. I only been doing it 3x/day.
Is it possible to put a few tablets together for 1 dose until I can get the 200c?
We have been doing Reiki and speaking to each other the last few weeks.
I am so grateful for what this group does. Thank you for being here.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
I'll sneak in to say that using more than one tablet will not enhance the potency. One is fine:) And succussing 10 times each time you dose.... Tell the dear boy I send my love..

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
YW Carianne!

As Ginny says, 1 pellet is enough. Using more does not increase the potency.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
IMO, you're fine; not to worry. Let him sleep. Arnica is a very benign, gentle remedy in any case, and this is not really a terribly high dose. Keep track of your observations, and do not dose again with anything, I'd say, for a while. I'm not the homeopath, but I personally would not worry. Usually a remedy that can act, will. If there's nothing for it to act on - apt symptoms - then it won't do much of anything.

Maybe play with him, or get him out in the fresh air a bit...Remember this is only an energetic influence - nothing to "wear off". In rare cases, an antidote migh be used, but not here, I would think.

What say you, guys?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, no worries about overdosing due to the number of pellets Carianne.

How was Neeko when he woke up?

CarianneB

Community Member
Registered
Really?? He was so out of it after I gave it to him. His eyes weren't closing and his breathing was really slow.
After about 4 hours, he was up and wanted out of his kennel.
He isn't drinking much, but eating wet food and I put lots of water in it.
He seems good now.
@GinnyW and
@Dr. Jeff
Blessings ❤️ 🙌

CarianneB

Community Member
Registered
Hello all. It has been 3.5 weeks since Neekos surgery and he was doing great until last Saturday. He went from eating/drinking/going to the bathroom, to he has lower distension in his abdomen, not eating and drinking water like there is no tomorrow.
He did has energy, and now not much.
We visited our local vet here and she said there is great definition of his insides, until the end of his intestine. She sees nothing there. The words she mentioned was gas cap??
I asked if this is life threatening at this point, she said concerning, but at this point, that is all. That was Friday. Yesterday.
Now his lower abdomen, is distented, he stinks really bad. He had a bowel movement, normal size, but so dry, it almost fell apart. And the smell is not that great.
A little darker than normal.
I put him on fermented beef broth with S. Boulardii, 10 billion CFU. He only gets approx. 5 by the time it gets in his system.
The surgeon has not gotten back to me yet.
Should I be taking him into an ER and having this dealt with ASAP?
Extremely concerned Momma here.

@Dr. Christina @Dr. Jeff @Dr. Jean Hofve

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Hi Carianne, that sounds like a very worrying situation!

When I was in vet school I had a patient with the exact same condition. It turned out to be a birth defect but had never showed itself until she was 10 or 11 years old. She jumped down from the refrigerator and the impact caused her liver to slide right up into her chest, but it couldn't get back out and she could barely breathe. The surgery fixed her right up.

The surgical site for repairing that doesn't really have much to do with the lower abdomen. But since he has low energy, little/dry stool, and gas on x-ray, if I'm thinking of the worst things it could possibly be, there could be a problem with leakage or infection or entrapment, or all sorts of things. It's a little far out from surgery for any of that, and it could be unrelated too. BUT... It would be good to have x-ray/ultrasound to see what is going on in there. It does seem like his current symptoms pretty much fit all of the 4 P's.

Since there could be a leakage of bowel contents, I would not feed raw at this point, as bacteria could get directly into the abdomen if there's a gap.

Please let us know how Neeko does!

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Carianne, can you give us an update?

Also, most of the veterinary homeopaths in the US who do phone consulting do work with Canadians.

As a member, you can become a client of Dr. Jeff at New Client Questionaire. For possibly a sooner appointment than he can offer, you can go to www.theAVH.org and put in the phone filter - check out Herman, Sagrera, Kostecki, Cooney, or Tewari as they can often work you in.

And check out holisticactions.com/select for all the web sites of other modalities to see if anyone is near you.

Dr. Christina

CarianneB

Community Member
Registered
Hello!
I do apologize for not updating.
Neeko had a blockage in his stomach from fur.
He had another surgery after he passed out on me.
They removed the hairball and said his anatomy is not the normal of a feline.
He has recovered, we had to shave him, but all in all, he seems a little different in personality, but better.
Food is still a challenge. He refuses to eat anything but the kibble the vet gave him.
I am trying canned everyday, and whatever else he seems interested in, but nothing yet.
I will be contacting @Dr. Jeff for assistance.
I know he still needs help for his nutrition and vitality.
I am so grateful for all of you. ❤️

20230406_160202.jpg
@Dr. Christina @Dr. Jeff

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I'm so glad to hear that Neeko has recovered OK! 👏

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom