• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Need some advice, please!

AnnaH

Community Member
Registered
Hello,

My indoor outdoor cat has fleas. Even though I have used flea destroyer, and other methods, as well as a wondercide on the property, I cannot control it because he is fighting me when it’s time to comb him. I used to manage being able to comb him because I would feed him a churu, but now he is utterly sick of them, and there is no other way for me to hold him long enough to do it. Unfortunately, I’m going to have to resort to using chemical medication. At least for one month. I purchased revolution plus but I am hesitant to use it. This is the one I have used before in the past. I feel bad, giving him chemicals because I don’t want him to feel sick, but I cannot have him bringing in fleas. ( Again.) I also have two indoor cats. What would you do if you were in my shoes? I feel like I do not have a choice and I have to give it to him today. I’m just a little torn about giving the revolution PLUS. Because it has more drugs in it. However, maybe it is a better option because he may have other parasites internally from being outside?? I think I’m also looking for some emotional support. And any guidance on flea medication. Thank you very much

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Anna, you may have given it yesterday. If not, just hold off till you read the member benefit book - Fleas Be Gone. Gives you lots of possible solutions.

Getting fleas is one of the Early Warning Signs of Internal Imbalance, so do focus on a great diet, giving energy treatments, massages, happiness protocol and all the other. vitality and balance creating approaches we cover

How many fleas are you seeing? How long ago did you use the flea destroyers? Do your other cats let you comb them? Could you keep this cat in a separate room? Keep the cat indoors for a few weeks?

Did you try the flea tag? - I like the tickless.com one. Listen to both of Anitra Frazier's webinars for how to talk to this cat to help with the combing. Maybe schedule a phone consult with her on how to wrap your cat in a towel to flea comb, and how to be in charge. You can flea comb any cat! 212-663-0122 - it is a landline with a recorder. NO cell, no email, no internet

As you can see from my questions, there is no simple answer, as every cat and every situation is unique. that is the joy and the challenge of the whole thinking approaches.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Perhaps a less complex medication would be safer? Even this one will not kill tapeworms, the most likely parasite for an indoor-outdoor cat (transmitted by fleas they consume when they groom).

Don't forget you have to continually treat the house and property, as fleas are shedding eggs into the environment constantly. (Although Flea Destroyers should last up to a year.) Here's an article I wrote a few years ago about it: Natural Flea Control for Dogs & Cats | Little Big Cat - Dr. Jean Hofve

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
And Anna, if you haven't already done so, you may want to consider making flea traps (with a blinking light to attract fleas) part of your indoor flea control program.

This trap that is available in Europe is a good example:

AnnaH

Community Member
Registered
Hello Dr. Christina,

Thank you for your prompt response. I haven't given it to him yet. I started reading your book again. I read it a while back.

I bought the tickles tag you recommended. Waiting for it to come in the mail.

I usually find 1-4 but mostly 2-3 fleas on him. I never know if I am getting every single one. I used the flea destroyer a year ago and again a couple months ago. Yes, the other cats let me comb them. I do it daily now. I live in an open studio and only have one closet so I cannot separate them. Also, Boochu (The cat we are talking about) would NEVER let me hold him in the house for a week. We once did it after a procedure he had and he didn't make it all 10 days, he let us have it on the 7th.

Is Anitra's webinar on your website?

I am going out of town in a few days for 5 days and will have a cat sitter drop in. Unfortunately, the only way I can allow Boochu to be let in when I am not here to comb him is to give him a medication for one month. I asked Dr. Judy Herman (the holistic vet Dr. Jeff recommended) which single ingredient flea medication I should should give him and she said either Eppifro Plus (Virbac) or Frontline. I also have supplements Dr. Judy recommended to help his body detox after his dose. I hate to give this to him and pray he will have minimal side effects. After I had combed him yesterday, he was lying on his tummy and I saw one crawling on him. I tried to get it but he was biting and scratching at me to stop.

Do you think the tickles tag will be enough without medication while I am away with no combing?

I also have 2 feral cats that live on my front porch and 2 on my back porch so when he comes and goes he picks up fleas and eggs I am sure. Also, this neighborhood has a lot of fleas in general. (lots of cats).

I feed him a mostly raw diet but he spends a lot of time outdoors and I know people feed him and he also eats from other feral cats food so its impossible to control his diet 100 percent.

He is a free spirit and prefers life outdoors and I am respecting this. I am also trying to do whats best for him but also for myself and my other 2 indoor kitties.

Thank you for your help! it means the world to me.

Anna
Anna, you may have given it yesterday. If not, just hold off till you read the member benefit book - Fleas Be Gone. Gives you lots of possible solutions.

Getting fleas is one of the Early Warning Signs of Internal Imbalance, so do focus on a great diet, giving energy treatments, massages, happiness protocol and all the other. vitality and balance creating approaches we cover

How many fleas are you seeing? How long ago did you use the flea destroyers? Do your other cats let you comb them? Could you keep this cat in a separate room? Keep the cat indoors for a few weeks?

Did you try the flea tag? - I like the tickless.com one. Listen to both of Anitra Frazier's webinars for how to talk to this cat to help with the combing. Maybe schedule a phone consult with her on how to wrap your cat in a towel to flea comb, and how to be in charge. You can flea comb any cat! 212-663-0122 - it is a landline with a recorder. NO cell, no email, no internet

As you can see from my questions, there is no simple answer, as every cat and every situation is unique. that is the joy and the challenge of the whole thinking approaches.

Dr. Christina

AnnaH

Community Member
Registered
Hello Dr. Christina,

Thank you for your prompt response. I haven't given it to him yet. I started reading your book again. I read it a while back.

I bought the tickles tag you recommended. Waiting for it to come in the mail.

I usually find 1-4 but mostly 2-3 fleas on him. I never know if I am getting every single one. I used the flea destroyer a year ago and again a couple months ago. Yes, the other cats let me comb them. I do it daily now. I live in an open studio and only have one closet so I cannot separate them. Also, Boochu (The cat we are talking about) would NEVER let me hold him in the house for a week. We once did it after a procedure he had and he didn't make it all 10 days, he let us have it on the 7th.

I am going out of town in a few days for 5 days and will have a cat sitter drop in. Unfortunately, the only way I can allow Boochu to be let in when I am not here to comb him is to give him a medication for one month. I asked Dr. Judy Herman (the holistic vet Dr. Jeff recommended) which single ingredient flea medication I should should give him and she said either Eppifro Plus (Virbac) or Frontline. I also have supplements Dr. Judy recommended to help his body detox after his dose. I hate to give this to him and pray he will have minimal side effects. After I had combed him yesterday, he was lying on his tummy and I saw one crawling on him. I tried to get it but he was biting and scratching at me to stop.

Do you think the tickles tag will be enough without medication while I am away with no combing?

I also have 2 feral cats that live on my front porch and 2 on my back porch so when he comes and goes he picks up fleas and eggs I am sure. Also, this neighborhood has a lot of fleas in general. (lots of cats).

I feed him a mostly raw diet but he spends a lot of time outdoors and I know people feed him and he also eats from other feral cats food so its impossible to control his diet 100 percent.

He is a free spirit and prefers life outdoors and I am respecting this. I am also trying to do whats best for him but also for myself and my other 2 indoor kitties.

Thank you for your help! it means the world to me.

Anna
I think I was supposed to tag you all on this. @Dr. Christina @Dr. Jeff @Dr. Jean Hofve

Dr. Christina

And Anna, if you haven't already done so, you may want to consider making flea traps (with a blinking light to attract fleas) part of your indoor flea control program.

AnnaH

Community Member
Registered

Dr. Jeff, I use the flea traps I bought from amazon that have the little light bulbs and sticky tape in them. I have not see any fleas there yet. Is this because they are not working, or just hiding in the floor boards? I also do a very good job cleaning. I do laundry almost immediately after he sits on anything.

Thank you!

@Dr. Christina @Dr. Jean Hofve @Dr. Jeff

AnnaH

Community Member
Registered
Hello Dr. Jean,

Thank you for your advice. Homeopathic vet Dr. Judy Herman that Dr. Jeff referred me to recommended either Eppifro plus (verbac) or frontline as a single ingredient one. I keep doing laundry on anytime he sits on immediately after and I vacuum frequently. I also use flea destroyer and wondercide outside and inside but should do that more frequently. I will read your article. Thank you!

Anna
Perhaps a less complex medication would be safer? Even this one will not kill tapeworms, the most likely parasite for an indoor-outdoor cat (transmitted by fleas they consume when they groom).

Don't forget you have to continually treat the house and property, as fleas are shedding eggs into the environment constantly. (Although Flea Destroyers should last up to a year.) Here's an article I wrote a few years ago about it: Natural Flea Control for Dogs & Cats | Little Big Cat - Dr. Jean Hofve

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes! Two of them.
I use the flea traps I bought from amazon that have the little light bulbs and sticky tape in them. I have not see any fleas there yet. Is this because they are not working, or just hiding in the floor boards?
Perhaps either the fleas are not attracted to the traps (or the location the traps are in) or perhaps you clean so well that there are few or no fleas in the house.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
1. Be sure to keep working with Dr. Herman and follow her guidance.
2. Download the Healthy Cat Journal to keep one on each cat.
3. It is fine to do the chemical this one time. Just start the journal before so you will know what changed while you were gone. I have no idea if that will work - keep your thoughts positive. Tell your cats how many nights you will be away and each night (or day) check in with them, look at their photos, send good thoughts and intentions to them.
4. Change your thoughts about the fleas from worry to curiosity. Comb the other cats twice a day. No need to wash everything so fast. Keep out the flea traps and be grateful there are no fleas there. maybe only comb him once a day since he does not like it.
5. Since this will be an on-going problem, order all the different holistic preventions and try one at a time.
6. Keep working to build health and vitality, though you may still see one or two fleas, given the circumstances. And keep doing the flea destroyer yearly.

Dr. christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom