• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

My kitty has a bump on her lip

NicoleA

All-Access Member
Registered
My two year old cat, Joy, has a bump on her lip. I noticed it for the first time today but I think it has been there for at least a few days, if not more, because I thought she was sticking her tongue out a lot - and today realized it is in fact a pink bump. I couldn't get a vet appt. until tomorrow but will bring her the the emergency vet tonight if she is acting strangely ... so far she seems to be herself but might be sleeping a bit more than usual. I will attach the photo.

IMG_8877.jpg

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
I'd venture to say that this is not an emergency. And there isn't much the vet could do that would be a positive thing. My experience with these is limited, but cats seem to get them now and then. Possibly a little herpetic outbreak? Cat folks, help! Me, I'd look for a remedy...

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Your very wise Nicole to decide about going to the ER based on Joy's BEAM.

I agree with Ginny that if her BEAM is close to normal, that this can wait until your vet visit tomorrow.

What is she eating? Have you recently changed what she eats, what kind of water she gets, or the type of bowls you use?

Please let us know what your vet finds tomorrow.

@Dr. Jean and @Dr. Christina , do you have any words of wisdom or other questions for Nicole?

NicoleA

All-Access Member
Registered
Your very wise Nicole to decide about going to the ER based on Joy's BEAM.

I agree with Ginny that if her BEAM is close to normal, that this can wait until your vet visit tomorrow.

What is she eating? Have you recently changed what she eats, what kind of water she gets, or the type of bowls you use?

Please let us know what your vet finds tomorrow.

@Dr. Jean and @Dr. Christina , do you have any words of wisdom or other questions for Nicole?
Thank you @GinnyW and @Dr. Jeff !

I have not changed her food or bowls and the water is the filtered water that I also drink (although I never see either of my cats drinking water) . I did start putting Magnesium in her brother, Jespa's food and she may have had a little the other day. She also had the Rabies shot on May 5th (which I am now regretting) - I wonder if it could be a reaction? She threw up that night and she rarely throws up. She seems like her normal self this morning and is playing - the vet only had an appt. at the end of the day, so I am bringing her today at 5 pm. I hope it is nothing serious. Aye. Thank you, again.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, hopefully this is nothing serious.

Perhaps ask your vet today if they think this might be a sign of an autoimmune imbalance called eosinophilic (eosinophils are a type of immune cell) granuloma.

I’ll be interested in what your vet exam shows.

NicoleA

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi @Dr. Jeff ,

Dr. Seo gave us an antibiotic/antifungal ointment (Entederm, I think is the name) to be put on the spot 2x/day for 10 days. He said if it gets bigger I have to come back in.

NicoleA

All-Access Member
Registered
Yes, hopefully this is nothing serious.

Perhaps ask your vet today if they think this might be a sign of an autoimmune imbalance called eosinophilic (eosinophils are a type of immune cell) granuloma.

I’ll be interested in what your vet exam shows.
Hi @Dr. Jeff I have been giving Joy the antibiotic/antibacterial cream for 10 days - today is the 10th. It is smaller (I'll post a photo) and she seems totally normal - eating, playing, etc. - but I'm worried that it's not gone. I don't want to do a biopsy but I am not sure what the next steps are - I am going to call the Vet we've been going to tomorrow. Since it is getting better do you have any thoughts on natural ways for me to keep treating it? Thanks!

bhM%OIrrQJ2Jp9Rdb5oH6Q.jpg

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Since it is "getting better", my choice would be to leave it alone for a while. I strongly lean towards leaving "bumps" and growths to do what they're gonna do for a while, unless their location or structure makes removal the best course. Growths are often the body's way of encapsulating and disposing of a bit of "disease energy", for want of a more precise term. I find the use of "anti-" substances to be from useless to suppressive, in any case. Just me, presenting an alternative viewpoint....

NicoleA

All-Access Member
Registered
Since it is "getting better", my choice would be to leave it alone for a while. I strongly lean towards leaving "bumps" and growths to do what they're gonna do for a while, unless their location or structure makes removal the best course. Growths are often the body's way of encapsulating and disposing of a bit of "disease energy", for want of a more precise term. I find the use of "anti-" substances to be from useless to suppressive, in any case. Just me, presenting an alternative viewpoint....
Thanks, @GinnyW ! That's what I am thinking re leaving it alone for a while. I have been concerned about the antibiotic - I wasn't sure what to do. I am giving her probiotic in her food. Do you suggest anything else? Thanks, again.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Nicole, in addition to the fresh and raw food that we just discussed, you may want to pick up calendula gel at your local health food store which you can start using today (massage it in 2x today then 3x a day).

The other remedy I mentioned is in a blue tube from Boiron, and is called Thuja occidentalis

NicoleA

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi again, Dr. Jeff,

I started using the Calendula gel on Joy, in lieu of the antibiotic, as we discussed and I also bought the Thuja occidentalis, but I am not sure how to give that since it's a pill?

I do think the bump is a little smaller but I am wondering how long I should wait and what my next step might be if it does not go away? I do want to avoid pathology as we discussed. Thanks!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Nicole.

You dissolve the pellet of Thuja in 8oz. of water, succuss the cup 10x, dip a Q-tip in the water and touch it to her gums (not the lip where the growth is). Save the cup.

If you see no big change tomorrow, succuss and dose, from the original cup, again. Same thing for up to 5 days in a row.

If you have any concerns about progression or pathology then you should bring her back to your vet for an exam and evaluation.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Um, do I sense that a bit of help on how to succuss might be useful? Dissolve the pellet, then gently rap the cup ten times on the palm of your hand, or on a big book, or a folded-up towel on the countertop. I usually use a jar or bottle with a lid so as not to make a mess. Alternatively, you may use a spoon, and spoon up the liquid and let it fall off the spoon like a little waterfall - do this ten times, too. Then, as Dr.Jeff says, dose from that bottle or cup, and save it. Next time, repeat the succussion or stirring and then dose.

NicoleA

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Nicole.

You dissolve the pellet of Thuja in 8oz. of water, succuss the cup 10x, dip a Q-tip in the water and touch it to her gums (not the lip where the growth is). Save the cup.

If you see no big change tomorrow, succuss and dose, from the original cup, again. Same thing for up to 5 days in a row.

If you have any concerns about progression or pathology then you should bring her back to your vet for an exam and evaluation.
Ok, thank you - I will do! I meant that I don't want to go the route of pathology - the idea of a biopsy scares me, but in the case that this doesn't go away is that my only next option? Or would you not do that? Thanks, again!

NicoleA

All-Access Member
Registered
Um, do I sense that a bit of help on how to succuss might be useful? Dissolve the pellet, then gently rap the cup ten times on the palm of your hand, or on a big book, or a folded-up towel on the countertop. I usually use a jar or bottle with a lid so as not to make a mess. Alternatively, you may use a spoon, and spoon up the liquid and let it fall off the spoon like a little waterfall - do this ten times, too. Then, as Dr.Jeff says, dose from that bottle or cup, and save it. Next time, repeat the succussion or stirring and then dose.
Thank you! @GinnyW :)

NicoleA

All-Access Member
Registered
Following up on Joy - the bump is smaller but it is still there. @Dr. Jeff do you suggest I do another 5 days of the Thuja? Or just let it be for a while? She seems fine/good in every other way - eating, pooping, playing..
Thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Nicole-

Did you notice any other changes during the Thuja dosing?

When was her last dose (it's often best to give the body time to respond to a series of doses).

NicoleA

All-Access Member
Registered
I didn't notice any changes in her, no. The last dose was early last week..

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Is the growth bigger/smaller/the same as on Sat?

Any other changes?

NicoleA

All-Access Member
Registered
It is smaller than it was when I first spotted it, but seems to be staying the same size now. I am still applying the calendula. There are no other changes in her that I have observed.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom