• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Leaking urine

CourtneyB

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi was wanting some suggestions for urine leaking if any
Snoopy 15 year old corgi mix
history: grade 4 heart murmur, did echo and cardiologist put him on Vetmedin and Cardalis
urine leaking started before meds
big difference in activity since starting meds, he is doing really well.
I understand the heart condition can cause an overactive bladder and just wondering if there was anything I could do
Thank you
Courtney

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for writing about Snoopy and sorry to hear about his heart and incontinence!

Do you have a snuffle mat for him? Does he enjoy going out for a slow sniff walk?

The cause for the leaking urine (incontinence) is not the heart but rather an imbalance in the muscled in his urethra (the tube that runs from bladder, through his penis).

The most effective treatment IMHO is reducing the imbalance (vs. focusing on physiology).

As with your other pup, I wonder what he loves to do more than everything else?

Doing more of these things can help him heal as well as improve his quality of life.

@ChristineL would you share your snuffle mat experiences with Courtney?

CourtneyB

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks for writing about Snoopy and sorry to hear about his heart and incontinence!

Do you have a snuffle mat for him? Does he enjoy going out for a slow sniff walk?

The cause for the leaking urine (incontinence) is not the heart but rather an imbalance in the muscled in his urethra (the tube that runs from bladder, through his penis).

The most effective treatment IMHO is reducing the imbalance (vs. focusing on physiology).

As with your other pup, I wonder what he loves to do more than everything else?

Doing more of these things can help him heal as well as improve his quality of life.

@ChristineL would you share your snuffle mat experiences with Courtney?
Hi Thank you for the reply,
Would love info on snuffle mat. Yes snoopy loves going on slow sniff walks
Courtney

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Fantastic!

@ChristineL is a snuffle mat expert and may have some tips for you about buying and using one.

You can also find more info by searching the forum and resource area.

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello @CourtneyB - Sorry for the late post!

I like mats by Paw5 - those are the only ones I found that are made of non-toxic materials. They're super durable, easy to wash and dry as well. (https://www.amazon.com/PAW5-Snuffle...qid=1629353842&sprefix=paw5+sn,aps,465&sr=8-5). I also got snuffle balls (from Etsy) :)

As for treats, I like to use freeze-dried treats like these: treats — Smallbatch and Amazon.com : K9 Natural Grain-Free Freeze Dried Dog Treats, Beef Bites 1.76oz : Pet Supplies or Air-dried treats (break them into little pieces) Air-Dried Treats — Soul'y Raw Specialty Pet Food :)

My previous pup Koby would do snuffle mat sessions for up to three hours per day. My current pup Hope does snuffle mats and balls for 20-30 mins per day. To make snuffle sessions a bit challenging, I'd lay our snuffle mats (we have five) throughout the living room, sometimes one on a ramp, one on a core muscle exercise disc...etc. Check out this thread here, Snuffling

Hope this helps! Happy Snuffling!

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Hi Thank you for the reply,
Would love info on snuffle mat. Yes snoopy loves going on slow sniff walks
Courtney
I been wanting to ask this question and since the snuffle mat is mentioned here, thought I would ask..... My dog is done with finding the treats in about 3 minutes. She does love it but it is a short lived enjoyment. Her nose goes wild but then like flash paper, it is used up!! If I used more treats then that would be overkill, is this 3 min experience typical or am I doing something wrong. Thanks!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Lil. :)

Fantastic that your pup likes the snuffle mat!

Are you using tiny treats and are burying them deep in the mat?

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I place small, not tiny treats in it but I also notice I have to obscure them in the mat to hide them, Maybe the mat needs to be thicker to hide them I will try and buy some real tiny treats though. Thanks

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom