• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Kitty not eating

JulyS

All-Access Member
Registered
My cat Benji who is 16.5 and has CKD, but has been stable for years started eating a little less three days ago, but then completely stopped eating yesterday. He is definitely weak and not himself. He is seeking solitude and leaves his spot if I sit with him too long or offer food (though he does sniff at it a bit first). He eats a raw diet, but I've offered wet food, meat baby food as well. He has accepted two small treats in the past 24 hours. He has also been vomiting liquid here and there.
The day before he slowed his eating I gave him a little magnesium for the first time and also put some ozonated olive oil on his tooth and gums. After two days when he wasn't finishing his food I stopped those new additions but there hasn't been improvements and then the decline yesterday. His last blood work shows he might be on the cusp of thyroid disease, but he didn't have urine to test thoroughly. It also shows his CKD has progressed a little from stage 2 to in between 2 and 3. That was in March. He is not on any medications at this time, but I will likely be thrown a bunch at my appointment today. The forum wasn't letting me in until an hour ago hence not getting on here sooner. I am worried about his lack of eating. He is a big boy who is very motivated by treats so even more worrisome (though a cat not eating is obviously always worrisome). I likely have some appetite stimulant from his sister, but he HATES to be pilled and I am not great at it (at least with him).

Attached are his last three labs

I know I need to get him a homeopathic vet and that's the goal this week (life has been distracting and business), but in the meantime obviously getting him eating by any means is important, but are there are drugs that will be recommended/pushed that would be best to avoid? I hate going to the vet because in my experience even at the only natural vet in the area they push conventional medicine. This worries me and so I end up doing nothing which is also not great for my littles.

Any words of support are much appreciated.

Thank you

Attachments

• BENJI-SANDERS-2023-03-18-0256.pdf
    299.1 KB · Views: 1
  • BENJI-SANDERS-2022-01-12-0450.pdf
    305.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Benji Sanders.PDF
    61.9 KB · Views: 1

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi July!

I'm sorry to hear that Benji has stopped eating. :confused:

How's his BEAM other than not eating and isolating? Can you stimulate him to play or purr?

Did he visit the vet today?

He would benefit from some fluids under the skin and a B12 injection.

Have you tried offering some goat (or cow) milk or cream or freeze-dried hearts?

Is there anything he ordinarily loves to do or eat?

JulyS

All-Access Member
Registered
@Dr. Jeff

His BEAM was not great. No appetite of anything, even freeze dried hearts, his favorite snacks or even canned food, no purring, no playing, no cuddling, also a bit grumpy. He did visit the vet today. They diagnosed him with Pancreatitis and convinced me he needed everything. I find it hard to go against this particular vet so avoid her when I can, but she was who had an opening. He did get fluids (I requested a bag so I could give him some over a few days). They suggested B complex and B12 which I agreed to but now don't see on my bill so unsure if he really got them. He got injections of Cerenia, Zofran, and Buprenorphine and sent home with pill for of Cerenia. I have Bup syringes that I didn't use after his oral surgery last year (I used arnica). I also have some mirtazapine transdermal gel from Lusa right before she passed that they suggested I use once some of the pain has subsided. As of this writing he still doesn't have an appetite, but I did give him about 6 or so ml of chicken baby food via a syringe that he hasn't thrown up. I don't know which medicine to avoid. His condition was really bad. He seems a little better, but the more I think of it maybe he's just high. Still not eating, moody, but I did get him to purr a couple times, so that's good. His fluids mass slumped to his foot so it's hard to tell if he is still wobbly or just struggling walking with the mass. This vet said pancreatitis is so painful its worse than I can imagine and so my "natural stuff" may not be effective. DO you think arnica or something else would be able to be strong enough to get him eating again? Do you have an guidance on things to avoid and things to incorporate?

Thank you

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
You were so right that you do need to work with a homeopathic veterinarian. go to theAVH.org and see who can help you the soonest - possibly Herman, Cooney, Sagrera, Barrett, Doyle.

Arnica is not likely to help appetite.
Homeopathy will help with pancreatitis, appetite, etc.

If fluids sink to foot do not give any more until absorbed, and then a smaller amount.

Your thoughts and intentions can make a huge difference, so keep positive and visualize playing and active and eating. Listen to the webinars (or you tubes) of Bernie Siegel and Anitra Frazier (2 webinars) about positive responses of love and good thoughts.

Dr. christina

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
And Lauren HW posted in another thread - Maybe will inspire you:
Thank you so much for sharing! You have inspired me too!
I’m an Energy Healer & Animal Communicator. I’m always interim learning more and things that are new to me.
I have known the power of Intention and Energy Healing for many years and am still amazed when I witness or experience it!
I swt a very strong intention that Romeo’s Kidney function would be restored to Normal, which I was told is impossible, and we kept holding that intention & we did so A LOT!

I posted the Miraculous news, and all we did, that Romeo’s Blood and Urine came back all Normal & fully functioning this Month!!!!!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
DO you think arnica or something else would be able to be strong enough to get him eating again?
I agree with Dr. Christina that Arnica will help him at a deep energetic level. However one or 2 water doses (succussed prior to dosing) have occasionally helped in this situation.
Do you have an guidance on things to avoid and things to incorporate?
Energetic actions like individualized homeopathy, Bengston Method, medical Qigong etc. will help support his body while it heals.

Syringing in 1-2cc of celery juice has shown to be helpful for some kitties with pancreatitis.

JulyS

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you, @Dr. Christina and @Dr. Jeff

I meant to question if arnica was going to be strong enough for the pain, which the vet he said is what was making him not want to eat. I am not great with the energetic modalities (even though I have immense faith in their abilities), but I have been visualizing him doing the happy things he enjoyed before and my made up reiki (what I imagine reiki is since I've never learned) when I have time.

I agree with Dr. Christina that Arnica will help him at a deep energetic level. However one or 2 water doses (succussed prior to dosing) have occasionally helped in this situation.
I'm not sure what you mean by water doses prior to dosing. Is water dosing the arnica dissolved in water? And if so then what is the dosing after? I have been wetting a cotton ball with the arnica dissolved in water and squeezing a little in his mouth while trying to rub on his gums. I've done this every couple hours, but he does still seem uncomfortable. And with the Bup he just seemed out of it. Is there a happy medium?

Energetic actions like individualized homeopathy, Bengston Method, medical Qigong etc. will help support his body while it heals.

Syringing in 1-2cc of celery juice has shown to be helpful for some kitties with pancreatitis.
Since I drink it every morning this will be easy. Thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Is water dosing the arnica dissolved in water?
Yes!
And if so then what is the dosing after?
How you are doing it is great!!
with the Bup he just seemed out of it. Is there a happy medium?
Yes. The Bup has some big side effects like sedation. Perhaps try a higher potency of Arnica (like 10M) to see if that helps but as Dr. Christina mentioned, individualized treatment with a vet homeopath would be a great thing.

Have you tried any Happy Dances with him? These will often help stimulate appetite right after each dance party!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom