• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Kittens

denize

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi,
I have two little kittens and a mom. Right now mom is getting canned food and I would like to transition her to raw but their vet recommended not doing that until the kittens are older b/c of the risk of salmonella etc (kittens are about 4-5 weeks). I was thinking I could give the, one of the cooked options I know are out there (nomnomnom, etc). Any recommendations? I probably won’t be cooking so I’m looking for a ready option.
Thanks,
Denize

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Denize!

Feeding raw is fine for the mom now and for the kittens from weaning on.:cat2::catfood::cat:

denize

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi hi
But what about if there is salmonella or something else? Wouldn’t cooked be a nice Segway into raw when they are a little older?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great question Denize!

The specific bacteria does not much matter for them, but would for us.

Balanced kittens, pups and people can all eat a species-appropriate diet, like raw meat, their entire life.

Transitioning via lightly cooked is fine as well.

denize

All-Access Member
Registered
How do I make sure the kittens gets all the nutrients they need? What should I add? Organ meats?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Your kitties will get what they need though a variety of raw gland and organ meats, raw bones.

If you'd like to add a raw food "complete and balanced " supplement, Alnutrin is a good one to use.

However, variety is still key.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Since cats do not build fires and cook their meat, the anatomy and physiology of their digestives system does much better with raw meaty bones than cooked. the reason we suggest a variety of meats and organ meats is to provide the different amino acids, minerals and vitamins that are in each item.

I am always amazed at how young cats are able to gnaw up and ingest chicken necks and wings.

Even though it was with puppies, you may want to read Dr. Sara's posts on raising her Bernese Mountain puppies.

You may want to get Answer's fermented goat's milk or a local raw goat's milk for the kittens, as well. It is a nice supplement.

Think about feeding yourself and human babies. Most people simply feed a variety of fresh ingredients. If you only ate chicken, and no vegetables then you may need to think about balance. Most people eat a variety. the main problem, as finally you are reading about in many magazines and on line - is processed foods. So kudos to you for not wanting to feed processed foods to your kittens.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
:thumbsup:

denize

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi again,
One of the kittens has a crusty tail. She also seems to have a little bit of yellow smelly diarrhea. I thought the crusts on the tail might be related so I tried to wash her tail but it didn’t come off. The crusts are very hard and at the tip and at the middle. I’m attaching photos (including a cute one of baby Chloe so it is not all her crusty tail). What could it be? And what should I do? They are (now) flea free and have had their first dose of Nemex one week ago. They are about 5 weeks and are not showing interest in food and milk other than nursing with their mom. They are both drinking water though.

Also, when the mom and kittens are ready they need a loving, compassionate home.

And finally, does anyone know brooklyn based vets who offer rescue rates for spay/neuter other than the ASPCA? I can take them through their system but wanted to see if there are other options.

4026350D-55B5-489D-A5CA-DD62166B24AB.jpeg

F35A8D42-79EF-4A4A-A332-36353C922981.jpeg

0838D48A-0D20-441A-B907-F58F06718315.jpeg

BA79D65D-B915-4CCA-B09D-615F99174012.jpeg

76A9014E-AC5C-46EA-90B3-4BCC58519E5D.jpeg

7741D201-1D0C-4444-82C8-BCAB562C0F32.jpeg

0A75023F-AC0D-4A2D-AF45-C9C16B69565E.jpeg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Denize-

She's adorable!

Her tail is probably secondary to irritation from the diarrhea.

Keep it clean and dry (organic corn starch is great to use).

A bit of jojoba oil massaged into any especially dry or crusty spots.

denize

All-Access Member
Registered
How do I keep it clean? With what? And in terms of the cornstarch - won’t she or her mom just lick it off?
Here is a photo from today of the tail. Also one of the kittens for cuteness.

BCC3CB3F-240C-4B32-A60A-1B54EDDBAC97.jpeg

548CA3AD-DFF7-4FE8-9252-9DC7E523FBB5.jpeg

F3DA5B7E-4E65-477E-B83E-8D435A5728CE.jpeg

denize

All-Access Member
Registered
I should also mention that I don’t think it is poop related. Notice the tip is a hard hairless one. What could it be? Does she need to go to the vet?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You can gently clean any scabs using green tea, then moisturize with jojoba oil or sweet almond oil.

Yes, anything applied topically to the tail will probably be groomed off, but don't worry about their doing so. It will still be effective (and is safe).

A vet exam can often be useful to help get a "diagnosis" and rule out skin parasites and other potential causes.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom