• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Just recently blind 8 year old stubborn dog

RaulM

Registered
After two weeks of training Lucy has learned where everything is in the living room. She knows where water is located. She walks by herself just with verbal cues. The other day she had walked by herself from living room to back bedroom. She is doing well despite her blindness. Thanks for all your advice and help. Hope everyone had a happy thanksgiving.?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Fantastic Raul! Thanks for the great update. Go Lucy!! :snowman: :dog2:

EllyJ

Registered
I dunno if you're still reading this thread, but I wanted to throw out there that vision issues are mostly mental. Look up Dr. Bates M.D. I've healed my astigmatism and am working on the Myopia (have reduced a couple of diopters). Basically, relax, get lots of sunlight (food for the eyes), MOVE (the eyes are staring.... they're not moving enough) . I would imagine the same principles apply to animals as they do humans. Good luck!

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Yes, many vision issues can be improved, with good habits and excellent nutrition. In humans, bad childhood habits and poor recognition of existing issues account for a lot of lifetime malformation and compromise. I think we'd need to observe carefully to determine compromised vision in our animals, however, since they don't need to read the blackboard from the back of the classroom:) Short of disease or gross malformation, it's pretty tricky to judge visual acuity in our animals. The most successful treatment must, I feel, involve superadequate nutrition and possibly an "exercise" program of using distant vision outside, and/or exercises which change focal length from near to far and back. This could be an interesting pursuit... I also think there can be a mental component: does the animal WANT to see? Can you challenge their vision? Are they fearful or hiding from some factor? I can easily imagine an animal refusing to confront some aspect of their environment, treatment, companions, etc. Let's toss this around...

EllyJ

Registered
Yes, many vision issues can be improved, with good habits and excellent nutrition. In humans, bad childhood habits and poor recognition of existing issues account for a lot of lifetime malformation and compromise. I think we'd need to observe carefully to determine compromised vision in our animals, however, since they don't need to read the blackboard from the back of the classroom:) Short of disease or gross malformation, it's pretty tricky to judge visual acuity in our animals. The most successful treatment must, I feel, involve superadequate nutrition and possibly an "exercise" program of using distant vision outside, and/or exercises which change focal length from near to far and back. This could be an interesting pursuit... I also think there can be a mental component: does the animal WANT to see? Can you challenge their vision? Are they fearful or hiding from some factor? I can easily imagine an animal refusing to confront some aspect of their environment, treatment, companions, etc. Let's toss this around...

Yeah, I agree. You understand. The only thing I'd pick at is the need for "superadequate nutrition". That's kinda hard, especially for your pet. Personally, I tried that route, and what helps more is the direct rewiring of how I see. I..e. Physically trying to see in a relaxed way.

I don't know the specific mental reasons behind glaucoma (I could pull out my books, but...), except for the generalized strain, but for myopia, for example, I know they encourage things like playing with balls to get the eyes moving and seeing far. I wonder if doing that with an animal would help.

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
We must disagree, then, on the value of nutrition. I could not believe more in the power of appropriate food to nourish and foster the optimum function of every part and organ. From there, we can go on and deal with influences of various kinds upon that function. And I do not find it difficult to implement, on many levels. For eyes, without even starting to think, there are omega fatty acids, astaxanthin, compounds in leafy and cruciferous veggies, fish oil, krill oil - and anything that fosters great blood circulation. As always, the most naturally appropriate diet - for man AND beast - will not only allow but encourage best tissue health.
I do find these associations from Hay quite apt, and it would be instructive to create some retraining games for both our species. I've been myopic since early childhood, with little change in correction, and astigmatism in one eye has developed in the last few years.

I'll bet we could come up with some dog vision tests; I'll give that some thought.

EllyJ

Registered
I'll bet we could come up with some dog vision tests; I'll give that some thought.
Lord knows dogs could use that. Good luck

As far as the nutrition part of your comment, I dunno, I'll just say that I was following a very clean Medical Medium diet for a couple of years, and that did nothing for my vision. I think supplements and food are fundamental, but it's hard to get perfect with it sometimes. Especially in this world. I think, in my experience, and from what I've seen in the holistic health field, that rewiring your brain, having good relationships, and having a healthy mindset have more impact on things like vision. People can get sidetracked with focusing too much on nutrition.

I actually just gave up on feeding my dog raw. I believe in it in theory, but it was too time-consuming in practice, and the cons outweighed the pros. I don't think it's practical for most people out there.

I hope you come up with some vision tests, though; I think that'd be great. That was part of the reason I wrote my initial post because I don't want these poor babies to suffer. Godspeed

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wow, a vision test would be awe-some Ginny.

Regarding eye and vision problems in dogs, this grant was just won by a Polish scientist using a new therapy to prevent and treat dogs with glaucoma and PRAA (dis-eases of the eye):

Dr. Marycz's (the name of the scientist) work is so groundbreaking (he's using energy transfer!) that he was invited to be a visiting professor at UC Davis (a vet school in CA)!

It would be great to bring these ideas to the US.

Unfortunately, he doesn't have funding to come, and can't afford it.

The HA! 501c3 Foundation is trying to help him raise the remaining money that he needs.

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas for raising the funds before February, please post below or email.

RaulM

Registered
Thank you for the info. Last Thursday Lucy began walking around like she had gotten partial vision back. The last few days she was jumping on and off the couch and following my wife around without hesitation. I think that her vision had resurfaced not totally but partially. She is exhibiting signs that she is able to see partially. We are amazed hopefully she can continue to have this partial vision. I am a pranic healer and also practice quantum healing and I have been running universal energy on her for the past two weeks and this a when she started to show signs of vision. I don’t know if this is the cause but i am just happy she is back to her self again. Thanks for all your comments and ideas. This site is awesome.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I am a pranic healer and also practice quantum healing and I have been running universal energy on her for the past two weeks and this a when she started to show signs of vision. I don’t know if this is the cause
Yes, I'd say it is! Great work!

Go Lucy and universal energetic healing!! :dog2: :dog2: ??⚡?⚡

RaulM

Registered
I believe last Thursday Lucy regained partial sight and is back to her normal self. If anyone knows of any eye supplements or herbs I can add to her food to strengthen her eyes I would appreciate the feedback.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

RaulM

Registered
Thanks for the eye supplement info. My eight year old pup is doing great she has 80 percent of her sight back. She is having some allergy issues any ideas on alternatives for clear drainage and sneezing issues. Thanks for all your help in our babies journey. Happy holidays to all. We got a Xmas miracle with our little girl.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome and happy holidays Raul!

RaulM

Registered
What is a good natural supplement for bad breath my pup of 9 years old has bad breath after cancer. Any help is appreciated. Happy new year too all on this wonderful site.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Happy New Year Raul!
good natural supplement for bad breath

bad breath after cancer.
Wow, that's a big question!

The bad breath, when looked at in context, may be a beneficial form of detox or related to the underling dis-eases. The complete answer depends on your pups full medical history.

In lieu of that, perhaps try some Wolf probiotic (Adored Beast) for the gut microbiome, Teef.com for the oral microbiome, and maybe an enzyme with chlorophyll like:

RaulM

Registered
Thanks for the info. Anyone know a good herbal antibiotic. My pup has a little nasal discharge from right nostril. ? t is clear mucus. I am currently giving ecunacea/ goldenseal mixture.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
It depends on if the dog is under or overweight (body condition), age, activity, environment, etc of the individual.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom