• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Hyperesthesia

adria

Registered
My 13 yr old rescue cat was abused as a kitten. She has always had anxiety and ptsd/ type symptoms: increased startle response, etc. she is afraid of most people and hides if anyone rings the doorbell. We had many years of UTI/cystitis/ issues that finally resolved with a diet change to fresh food. She gets a revolving protein with the addition of heart and/or liver. In the last few weeks she has developed increasingly severe hyperesthesia symptoms: tail chasing, back skin rippling, licking -  sometimes with vocalizing and zooming around the house. I’ve noticed the symptoms just before feeding times in the am and pm. After reading lots of stuff on hyperesthesia and finding not much on natural treatments, I recently saw some research indicating that hyperesthesia is a seizure disorder. Is this true and is there a holistic approach to treat this? (CBD and rescue remedy are both listed in different sites as possible treatments.)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Adria.

Is hyperesthesia a seizure disorder?

You can read more about it here:

Yes, if that is the definitive diagnosis so it really depends (sorry)!

Hyperesthesia Syndrome

It depends on the context, for example, a hyeresthetic kitty with fleas probably does not have this brain problem.

Yes, this symptom can absolutely be helped holistically and homeopathically.

Exactly what's the context and how is this impacting her day to day quality of life?

For example, how often do the attacks occur and how long do they last?

adria

Registered
Keeping a record over the last week, Felina had a “hyperesthesia” episode (tail flicking, back skin rippling, licking and zooming) every morning during preparation of her breakfast, Tuesday through Saturday. No episodes later in the day. They last approximately 2 minutes and end when I put her food down.

With her Saturday (last night)  pm meal I added Rescue Remedy. No episode this morning, Sunday.

She had a really unusual episode on Friday night. Although I was not present when this occurred, I found  throw up on my bed and the area was soaking wet. This occurred sometime between 5 and 8 pm.  She appeared fine that night subsequent to this episode.

Other than these incidents, she appears ok. Her BEAM is good. So far, the quality of her life, such as it is, has not been impacted.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Great that you are keeping a record, Adria.
Have you continued the Rescue Remedy? It may be merely anxiety.
Did you try immediately giving a tad of food while you are preparing her meal?

We need to see if the bed episode is repeated to discover what that is. Was there any odor of urine in the wet area?

Keep us posted.

adria

Registered
Felina continues to display hyperesthesia-like episodes while I prepare her food. I have tried to give her a small treat while I’m preparing her food and it does stop the episode temporarily but will go right back Into it as soon as she finishes the treat. Most of time they last about 15 seconds. I have tried the rescue remedies and CBD oil over extended periods of time without success. Felina has a history of what I describe as stress-related episodes (cystitis, throwing up) after any type of change in the environment, ie workmen. All these started after her cat and dog companions passed away over the last 3 years. The hyperesthesia episodes are triggered by food prep but could they also be another manifestation of stress? This is a video of a recent episode.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
hyperesthesia-like episodes while I prepare her food.

Hi Adria-

Would you upload the actual video so we can watch it in this thread?

Also, did anything change in the household in November before this started?

Which, if any, homeopathic medicines have you already used for her?

How's she doing with your new kitty?

adria

Registered
Hi Dr Jeff,

There have been no changes in the household in the last year other than the introduction of the new kitty, Nate, about 3 weeks ago. Felina’s hyperesthesia episodes preceded Nate’s arrival by at least 6 months.

As I’ve mentioned, Felina has a long history of stress-related episodes before and after I rescued her about 13 years ago. Since losing all her furry companions in the last 2 years; she has had two, 3-4 day bouts of cystitis treated with aconite. It appears that the hyperesthesia episodes have replaced cystitis as her ‘stress-related preference.’ Since they occur daily during food prep mainly in the AM, they are far more prevalent than her cystitis bouts. The only remedy I’ve tried is ignatia without any success.

She is really doing just fine with Nate. Just like two-year-old children then play in proximity, but without much actual contact except occasionally running around the house together.

Here’s the video:

Adria

Sent from my iPhone
On Mar 24, 2019, at 2:43 PM, Holistic Actions! Forum <forum@holisticactions.com> wrote:
adria,

Dr. Jeff mentioned you a:
Hyperesthesia
adria said:
hyperesthesia-like episodes while I prepare her food.
Hi Adria-

Would you upload the actual video so we can watch it in this thread?

Also, did anything change in the household in November before this started?

Which, if any, homeopathic medicines have you already used for her?

How's she doing with your new kitty?
Please do not reply to this message. You must visit the forum to reply.
This message was sent to you because you opted to received emails when quoted at Holistic Actions! Forum.
If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you may disable emails on being quoted or disable all emails.​

adria

Registered
Chttps://share.icloud.com/photos/0RIPWKvsQjpzKAkiZkrvLCgiw#Newtown,_CT

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
If you differentiate between the remedies associated with symptoms before eating + hypersensitivity, Nux and Puls both come out strongly...

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom