• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Homeopathically Treating a Cat with Osteomyelitis

JodyLT

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Hi - We are fostering a beautiful, sweet kitty that was hanging around our factory as part of a small feral colony. She is spayed, tagged as such and doesn't behave as if she's feral at all - very calm, sweet, tolerant of our 3 crazy dogs and affectionate. She's estimated to be about 2yo, is a small kitty at 6.5lbs and was diagnosed with osteomyelitis when brought to a vet after a fight. Her rear feet were both severely swollen and painful, one of her toes was broken and another was out of place and very swollen.
She was given a physical exam, her feet were radiographed on 1/9/21; bloods were done - normal; testing for feline leukemia negative. Same visit she was given an anlgesic, a rabies vax, 1 yr, a fel/frcp vax, 1 yr, a convenia injection, meloxicam, a dewormer buprenorphin. A big pile of yuck.
When we got her, I was given orbax drops (1x/day), 20ml and clindamycin drops, 20ml (2x/day) to give her. Her feet were a mess; toes crunched and swollen. I did administer these antibiotics to her and also started her on Arnica first for a few days, then Hypericum 200c 1 dose, and watched. She started improving for a few days then stopped. Then I read about Gunpowder and its efficacy for wounds. I decided to try that, and started her on 200c of Gunpowder and watched. She improved more. Subsequent follow up visits to the vet resulted in a good report that she was improving.
About a week ago, her back paws were radiographed again and I was told she'd made a 60% recovery but infection was still in there. I was advised to continue the two antibiotics for another 3 weeks.
I don't want to do that, so I'd like to see if you have any recommendations for how to proceed, taking into account what's already in her system (the 2 antibiotics and what she was given when she was originally taken to the vet.
Here's what I was able to observe about Suki (what we named her):
Domestic Shorthair Female
Spayed
Approx 2yo
6.5 lbs
Presented with very bad infection of both back feet, crushed toes, lots of swelling and pain (limping on both back feet, more so on the right side). Now she is placing weight on both back paws and walking normally.
Prior to taking her in, she'd been living outdoors by our factory for less than a year; not sure where she was before then.
Personality=
affectionate,
easily purrs,
calm but scared of the dogs, less scared of us,
likes to hide in her cat cave or stay on the bed in our spare bedroom all day and sleep there at night.
She lounges for hours;
no zoomies and
not a lot of play, although she has demonstrated she will play with string or one of those little furry mice.
Good appetite.
Talkative not whiny but talks.
Stiffens when held from a bit of fear but
seems to like attention, although doesn't seek it out.
Doesn't demonstrate a lot of curiousity
likes to paw inside her water bowl taking water out; I often find water pooled around the bowl on the mat
is very fastidious about covering up her business in the litter box; spends a lot of time covering covering covering

I haven't yet done a type/symptoms case taking for Suki and have more been focused on getting her infection under control with what made the most sense based on her injuries homeopathically.

Would love some feedback re her case as I'd like to back off the antibiotics now; they seems to have taken us just so far.

Here's a pic of the pretty girl, a pic of one of her back paws 4 days after the first vet visit and a full body pic of Suki.

Thank you!

Jody

Suki 1:13-3.jpg

Suki back rt paw 1:13:21.jpg

Suki 1:19:21.jpg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wow, she's beautiful Jody!

There sure was lots of stuff done to her at her vet visit.

Is the foot sensitive at all? In the pic it looks like she's putting full weight on the foot.

Based on your preliminary workup it sounds like she may need a deeper-acting remedy to heal overall so that she starts to play and act more like a young active kitty.

Are you using a probiotic for her?

JodyLT

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Hi Dr. Jeff - Thank you! Yes, I have her on a probiotic. Should I do a proper case taking and let you know what I come up with as choice 1, 2, 3 and then talk about trying a 200c dose to stimulate the final path to healing?
And she is no longer limping; she is walking normally on it. Does not seem to be sensitive, either of her back paws.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, please do a full workup and post the rubrics you use below.

Remember, a 30c dose (or repeated doses) may act better initially than a 200c.

JodyLT

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Ok will do; probably this weekend. Thank you! FYI, sent you a couple of emails pertaining to Sophie and our consult tomorrow at 4. :)

JodyLT

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Jody,
Any updates on this kitten?
Dr. Christina
Yes! This is Suki! Treated her with the above, finishing with Hypericum and she healed beautifully. After about 2 weeks with us, we'd fallen in love and adopted her and Suki just moved with us to Austin and is living the life. :) Dr. Larry Bernstein met Suki when I took her and Sophie to him and it was super cool to hear that I treated her exactly as he would've done. She is wonderful, thanks for following up,@Dr. Christina!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom