• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Holistic Anti-inflammatory for My Cat

DavidJ

All-Access Member
Registered
My cat suffers from both sinus issues and irritable bowl disorder. Is there a safe and effective holistic supplement that can be used for anti-inflammatory? We are interested in something that would not stress the liver. Curcumin or pycnogenol is an example that works in humans, but would it be safe and effective in cats? Also, what dose? She is currently on Dexamethosone 0.125 mg twice a day.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
David, you bring up a very good topic for everyone to hear. There are basically two holistic approaches to healing, and sometimes we use both at the same time.

One is supportive and one is curative. You are asking questions about supportive methods. Conventionally, drugs are labelled as having an action - like steroids are anti-inflammatory - along with side effects - liver damage, increased thirst and urination, etc.
Holistically we look at the total action on the whole body when selecting treatments. The goal is improving quality of life more than merely on action, like anti-inflammation.

Supportive:
As discussed in many EHs (most recently Dr. Marlene Siegel on 7/19), gut health is key to overall wellbeing. When the gut is healthy, there is much less inflammation.

For instance, one study done in Japan showed that most dogs with IBD (and this would be similar in cats) given mitomax (a probiotic) could decrease their steroid dose by 90%. Feeding a fresh food diet and using probiotics (may need to try different products) may help your kitty. These dogs had less inflammation on Mitomax, even though it is not listed as a specific benefit.

A search of the HA site for golden paste will give you member's experiences with curcumin. Some info here - https://www.fenugreekworld.com/how-to-use-turmeric-for-cats/
And trusted Dr. Silver's supplement - You searched for curcumin - Rx Vitamins for Pets

From CharlesLoopsDVM.com - Grapeseed Extract (Pycnogenol) – a potent anti-oxidant. Useful as a part of any cancer protocol. Dosages are 1-2 mg. per lb. body weight per day. Doesn’t seem useful in higher dosages. Widely available. Some think Pycnogenol, a similar substance extracted from Pine Bark, is more potent. It is also more expensive.

Curative
Especially because your cat has several severe issues, I would recommend you begin now working with a veterinary homeopath (by phone or local) or a TCVM trained vet (local). Then your cat has a good chance of living a longer life with no Respiratory or
GIT symptoms and no need for drugs or on-going herbal treatments.

Dr. Christina

EdwinA

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi David.

I believe you should not give your cat the dexamethasone. Steroids are disruptive to overall healing and produce lots of problems down the line. Even a knowledgable conventional doc/vet, if you can find one, will tell you steroids make the condition they are used for worse in the long term.

What is the sinus issue? My cat has been getting lots of clear mucus in his nose recently so I have been giving him warming and damp-dispelling herbs. But if you cat has a bacterial infection - with yellow or green mucus - you want to use something cooling. And is the bowel issue mucus/diarrhoea or constipation? The approach depends on the energy of the condition. Whatever it is, there is a simple natural fix!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great question David!

Dr. Christina's reply sums up the holistic ASC approach. You can use it to help decide how to help your kitty.

Just ask what can be done and you'll get answers from ASC.

Dr. Christina summed up the S and C so I'm just going to mention the A as it may apply to your kitty.

In summary, A=Avoid, S=Support and C=Cure.

Two things to discuss are your kitty's diet and environment.

Things like what form of food you are feeding (dry, wet, cooked, raw) whether she is an indoor or outdoor kitty, is there a smoker in the house, etc.

Let's keep exploring your really important question...

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom