• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email [email protected].

Anal Gland Infection & Still Has Spotted Bleeding While On Antibiotic

BarbaraB

Community Member
Registered
Joined
Oct 11, 2021
Messages
7
Hello @Dr. Jeff, @Dr. Christina,

I have a 4 year old Terrie Poo by the name of Minty. She is spayed and approximately 24 lbs and has only been vaccinated when she was at the shelter. Her BEAM is great and has not changed since she developed the anal gland infection only to the left gland. Her diet is Honest Kitchen Grain Free Beef Dehydrated and she has two meals per day with 1.5 scoops each time in her bowl and added water. She has not been on any other medication since she came to me and has not had any other issues around the house. She's a really sweet girl.

She is currently taking a 10 day round of Kesium 125 mg and additionally given Carprofen 25 mg twice a day for seven days. She will have her last 2 doses of Kesium tomorrow and I'm concerned as she is still having spots of blood coming from her butt area. It's not continuous but seems to happen here and there during the day and not when she is having a bowel movement.

This issue started about 3.5 weeks ago when I noticed she was constantly lickiing the area and I took her to the groomer to have her anals expressed. I could not tell if there was blood mixed with her anal fluid as it was dark. I then noticed afterwards more little drops of blood when she would have a bowel movement. She then began not having her usual bowel movement in the morning and I was worried at that point she was becoming constipated or it was hurting. I finally had her seen by a vet and she was diagnosed with a left gland infection and they wanted to do a anal gland infusion under sedation and I said no but wanted to try the oral antibiotic first. They informed me oral was not the best route for infection.

She started the Kesium and Carprofen and began having her morning movement and I believe the inflammation was reduced but she is still licking and scooting sometimes even with a donut on her head. I started the carprofen again yesterday at one time a day but I'm concerned about what to do next and do not want to truly have her on antibiotics. She is eating pumpkin as well right now and I've added Kefir for a probiotic element. She has no problem with her walks and energy. Her stool is firm but not rock hard. It appears normal.

I would prefer to try any other remedy natural/holistic to clear the infection. I'm a big proponent of anything natural and I would appreciate your advice and recommedations for her. I am also thinking of switching her diet as well since my boy Odie was on a raw diet for many years before he passed and never had anal issues. Please let me know what you think the next step should be for Minty. Thanky you and I look forward to your advice.
 
I do think a raw food diet is much better for overall health, especially if you vary it a lot (builds a more resilient microbiome) and include your healthy seasonal foods. Remember there is no perfect diet for each individual dog, just as no right one for an individual human. Fresh, local, seasonal - when possible. You may find a combination of meats/veges/grains that is perfect for her stools. You are already doing great with lots of exercise and probiotics (maybe try different ones - check out webinars by Julie Ann Lee of Adored Beast. There are also flower/vibrational essences for building the immune system, since we are not trying to eliminate bacteria, rather encourage the body to heal itself.

Sounds like a good time to assemble a holistic veterinary team - read this article.

Even with the diet change, some dogs may have symptoms until their body is in great equilibrium, so the anal problem may persist or return.

Hot pack the anus several times a day. Put rescue remedy, calendula or comfrey, essential oils. Also, watch your thoughts and words as you do it. Listen to Anitra Frazier's webinars (though on cats, the same is true for dogs - keep up a constant positive patter).

Please keep us posted, be sure to take the 101 class, or re-read lesson one.

Dr. Christina
 
Back
Top Bottom