• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

High CK in blood work

lizkunz

All-Access Member
Registered
Ernie our 3.5 year old Miniature Schnauzer's blood work came back, and he has a high CK. It was high last year also. His vet says it's nothing to worry about but it must be a clue. I don 't have the actual blood work but last year it was 484 U/L H. (Penny had her blood work today.) So I will be making appointments shortly! Thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes Liz, I agree with Dr. Meenan that it's nothing to worry about but you're right. It might be an internal symptom indicating imbalance.

Or it might be normal for him.

Let's trend all of his test results and look at them in context of BEAM and other symptoms either on the forum or whenever I see you next.

lizkunz

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you! I had the good fortune of actually accompanying Ernie into his appointment. While he was there I had her give him a chiropractic adjustment. Many of my schnauzers over the years have gotten treatments. As you know his conventional vet is also a chiropractor. But Ernie reacted like nothing I've ever seen. She could barely contain him on the table. It was quite a sight. He does not exhibit any issues otherwise. He jumps up and down the our rock walls.

By the way at his last grooming I was asked what happened to the hair on his snoot. I really hadn't noticed. But all I could think of was he constantly is sticking his nose in the rock wall hunting for chipmunks! I guess it's taking it's toll.

Thank you again!

lizkunz

All-Access Member
Registered
Well, I just got back his sister's blood work and she also has a high CK level but not as high as Ernie. Interesting that they both have the same father. They also have the same diet and environment. She is almost 4 years old and this is the first time this level was high.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Creatinine phosphokinase (CK) comes from muscle cells.

Did they both have vigorous play sessions or longer walks in the heat the day of or just before the blood draws?

lizkunz

All-Access Member
Registered
Unfortunately, nothing too strenuous. Last blood test Penny's ALT was high. So I was fasting her before the draw and she had a 1:45 appointment. (It is lunchtime at the clinic so I was able to accompany her in.) So she went for a long period without eating. Sorry I'm rambling. By the way her ALT was normal this time.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom