• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Hello again

jlandry78

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello all,

I have rejoined after being gone for a time. Since it’s been several months since I last posted here, I thought I would re-introuduce myself and my dog.

In April I did this introduction post –

I’ve just recently joined Holistic Actions. I have a 12 y.o. female German Shepherd, Faith, that I adopted 2 years ago. Faith has had progressive weakness in her limbs starting about 1 ½ years ago. It began in her hind legs and within the last several months has also affected her trunk and front legs. She has been using a wheeled cart to walk for over a year. We’ve had x-rays done, which showed some calcification and bridging mainly in the lumbar spine, but some in the cervical spine as well. Spondylosis was also noted. But other than that have never gotten a diagnosis as to what may be causing the weakness. From my own research I know what the possibilities are and most point to degenerative myelopathy, although there are others. Her vet has recommended getting a blood or saliva test to confirm that diagnosis, but from what I have learned about the test is while it can used helpful in the diagnosis process, it is not always accurate or conclusive. I have several questions regarding this situation.

Since my original post, we did do the DM genetic testing through the University of Missouri, and the results were that Faith tested positive for both genes that can be affected in DM. In August, Faith was diagnosed with a right anal gland adenocarcinoma. At that time her bloodwork was normal and a chest radiograph to look for mets was negative. The tumor is large, however we decided not to pursue surgery due to her weakened physical state with the degenerative condition. I question sometime whether that was the right choice, but the vets did say that it would be a risky surgery for her. We have been using some conventional approaches – 1sttrying Piroxicam; then Truprofen for anti-inflammatory effects. She did not tolerate the Piroxicam (had GI distress within a few days). She seemed to do well on the Truprofen for several weeks, but then began having GI distress again, mainly indigestion and diarrhea. Whether the Truprofen is the cause of the GI upset this second time is not as clear. We took her off, began and bland diet and then once she had solid stools again, we transitioned her back to the raw, ketogenic diet we’ve been following. Within days, she had diarrhea again (this was last Friday, 9/27). This time she wasn’t back on the Truprofen yet. So I’m leaning towards it possibly being the raw food and the possibility that type of diet may no longer be appropriate for her. Since then, we’ve gone back to several small meals, multiple times per day, and bland diet of turkey and rice. She’s eating well and has a good appetite and is doing well on that so far. However, she is not back to normal stools yet.

We are also treating with more holistic approaches such as essential oils, reiki, acupressure, and CBD (both orally and topically on the tumor). Despite all of this, we learned at a vet visit last week that the tumor has grown. We are working with both a conventional and holistic/ integrative vet.

I will be looking at the hospice course that has recently been posted on the site. Where can I find that?

I’d love to see things turn around and the tumor to shrink, but ultimately I want to provide her the best quality of life for as long as possible. If there are any other audios / video recordings that you would recommend listening to, please let me know.

I have several questions that I’d love to get some guidance on. I realize this may not be the topic area to post them under, so will post in other areas.

Faith Close Up with Crossed Paws.JPG

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Welcome back Jill, it's great to see you here again!:)

I'm so glad that you posted about Faith in the other folder so we can follow her progress. ?

In your other thread please tell us what her calcium level is and whether the tumor seems to be causing her any problems.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom