• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Gum Cyst-Canine

PatriciaMa

Community Member
Registered
1. Your pet's name Kenji
2. Approximate age - 11 yrs old
3. Sex Male 4. Neutering status Neutered
5. Breed Parson Russell Terrier
6. Approximate weight 18 lb
7. What's their BEAM (behavior, energy, appetite, mood) - Mood is good, appetite good, energy level good, but starting to slow down, Behavior good, Can be reactive, but I have been working on this all his life.
8. Diet - Raw Diet - Viva
9. Vaccination history / exposure to toxins, other medication Minimally vaccinated. Has had maybe 1 rabies after his initial puppy vax, and stopped DHPP after 3 years old. No medication
10. Primary problem, when it began and if there was anything else happening around that time - Gum cyst that is likely benign. This only became know to me in the last 4 months.
11. Is the condition better or worse from exercise, heat, cold, time of day, certain foods, emotional upset, being touched, excitement, etc? Not pertinent to this issue, but I can tell it has been bothering him lately and has been bleeding
12. Has any diagnostic work been done? Diagnosis if available (you can attach your diagnostic tests to the post if you have them.) None, Just dental cleaning person detected the cyst.
13. Current and previous treatment. - None
14. Other health concerns. - He does have some gum disease at this time

Background: Kenji has an underbite, and has had at least 3 teeth missing prior to this due to his reactive behaviors with fighting with one of my other dogs. One of his teeth was pulled out by a pit bull when he stuck his nose in a gap under our privacy fence. He is now an only dog, and last year I noticed that he lost another upper tooth.

I became aware of the cyst in my dog's mouth when I took him to my holistic vet to have his teeth cleaned by a canine dental hygienist (no anesthesia), about 3 months ago. She cleaned his teeth and told me about the cyst and said they are usually benign. She said it was likely that this caused him to lose this tooth, and that the adjacent tooth was loose and he would likely lose that tooth as well. I do have a diagram of his teeth and issues, but I will have to find that if necessary.

At a subsequent visit to the holistic vet, I asked him to look at the cyst to make sure it was okay and if it looked like it needed more attention, then I would take him to allopathic vet to have it biopsied or removed. He said it was benign. This was about 2 months ago.

A few weeks ago, I noticed that he was licking his lips a lot more, and leaving bloody saliva marks where he slept where his mouth touched the bed or couch. I looked at his cyst and nothing seemed to have changed until recently. Over the weekend I noticed that the cyst appeared to be filled with blood (I'm attaching a picture). This morning (Monday, Mar 4) I saw that the cyst appeared to be gone as it must have burst ? I can't tell if there is a remnant of the cyst or not.

My question/concern: What should I be doing for him at this juncture?. He doesn't seem to be in pain. Should I take him to a vet?... Should his canine be surgically removed?

I do give him HEAL CBD, right now, once daily. He is a bit sensitive to this so I don't give him a full dropperful. I also give him TEEF dental solution in his water (for a few years now.). I have to admit I've not done the best job of dental hygene in the past, but trying to do better. I have Detahex Oral Rinse that but haven't used consistently.

Many thanks

Pat

20240303_092215.jpg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Patricia!

Welcome to HA! and thanks for posting your first question on the forum. :snowman: ?
What should I be doing for him at this juncture?.
Great question! Perhaps consider:

1. Starting to work with a vet homeopath (which will help insure the best result from #2)
2. A full dental prophylaxis performed by a vet who has a dental x-ray unit to allow a thorough evaluation
3. Home dental care so Kenji never needs another anesthetic dental (best to get it done now, rather than when he is older)

He doesn't seem to be in pain. Should I take him to a vet?
It sounds like the gum growth fixed itself, but perhaps consider a vet dentistry sometime this spring
... Should his canine be surgically removed?
That will be determined at his dentistry and dental x-rays

In the meantime, there are lots of suggestions on the forum and member resource area regarding home dental care. Even just wiping his teeth down once a day using a damp washcloth will help. As will raw, eatable bones, big chunks of meat, etc.

@GinnyW do you have any advice about meaty (or other) bones to use?

PatriciaMa

Community Member
Registered
Hi Dr Jeff.

Thanks for your quick response. I do have a followup in May for more anesthesia-free cleaning. I will have to go to another vet for xrays, as I'm pretty sure they don't have this capability there .

My holistic vet does provide homeopathic remedies, but I'm unsure of his expertise in this. I will make an appt right away at any rate.

Kenji has never been much for eating raw meaty bones, except when he was younger. Maybe his teeth have been giving him problems for longer than I have realized.

The Dentahex I've been using was suggested by the dental person that cleaned his teeth. Do you have a problem with Chlorhexidine that is the main ingredient in this product?

@GinnyW If you have suggestions for products besides bones that he will not eat, that would be great. Need to mention that he does not like to eat freezed dried raw bully sticks either.

I'll search the forum for other suggestions for dental cleaning

thanks again.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Well, yeah.,.,.I'd try soft but complex structures, such as duck or chicken "frames" - the ribs and keel bones left in a big piece. Poultry necks, bashed up a bit with a large knife or cleaver. Very tough hunks of meat that are too large to swallow - won't hurt if he does, though:) Perhaps a lamb neck or rib section, again attacked with a cleaver to make it more approachable.

I'm not a fan of bully sticks - they may contain nasty preservatives - or can just be chewed and broken into big chunks that can - but should not - be swallowed. And certainly NO rawhides:)

Right now, we are using Teef! and ProLab's powder. I get nowhere brushing him either. We have a dental scheduled in a couple of weeks, and we'll get a good look. He's a BIG boy, though, and eats bones readily.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Do you have a problem with Chlorhexidine that is the main ingredient in this product?
Nope, it's a relatively safe germ killer.

However IMHO, oral bacteria are only a small part of the issue.

The susceptibility to mouth (or any) infection is primarily determined by inner balance. Not germs:

How about a hypochlorous acid product like:

PatriciaMa

Community Member
Registered
Well, yeah.,.,.I'd try soft but complex structures, such as duck or chicken "frames" - the ribs and keel bones left in a big piece. Poultry necks, bashed up a bit with a large knife or cleaver. Very tough hunks of meat that are too large to swallow - won't hurt if he does, though:) Perhaps a lamb neck or rib section, again attacked with a cleaver to make it more approachable.

I'm not a fan of bully sticks - they may contain nasty preservatives - or can just be chewed and broken into big chunks that can - but should not - be swallowed. And certainly NO rawhides:)

Right now, we are using Teef! and ProLab's powder. I get nowhere brushing him either. We have a dental scheduled in a couple of weeks, and we'll get a good look. He's a BIG boy, though, and eats bones readily.
thanks for the suggestions... I've never given him rawhide. The freezed dried bully sticks have been easy for him to chew in the past but I understand your concern about possible preservatives.

He has another dental scheduled for May. He's going to lose that one tooth no matter what I do t this point.

thank you

PatriciaMa

Community Member
Registered
Nope, it's a relatively safe germ killer.

However IMHO, oral bacteria are only a small part of the issue.

The susceptibility to mouth (or any) infection is primarily determined by inner balance. Not germs:

How about a hypochlorous acid product like:

thank you. I absolutely do have concerns about inner balance. It's been a tough road since he was young. Thank you for your suggestions.!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Patricia.

Feel free to reach out through the forum or during an HMDM whenever the road seems tough for Kenji (or you).

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom