• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Feline vomiting and diarrhea

JoanD

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Doctors, I recently tried to switch my cat Sera from from Epakitan to Phos Bind. I didn't think the Epakitin was strong enough (due to pain around her kidneys she would experience after eating) and she didn't like the taste. A day or two into the switch Sera had 2 consecutive bouts of bloody stools so I immediately put her back on the Epakitan. Her appetite stayed just fine and I began feeding some lightly cooked chicken hearts along with her regular raw food. The chicken hearts are non-GM and not organic. This is something I've never given her. She has stopped having bloody stools but has diarrhea and very soft stools. She has also been drinking a lot more and throwing up after drinking. She is throwing up food and water. Often quite a bit. Her constitutional remedy is currently Nux Vomica until we can find a better one. This treats her pain and I thought it should work for vomiting. Does anyone have suggestions? Is it possible the switch to Phos Bind caused this? Has anyone ever had this kind of problem with it? Also, could the chicken hearts be doing this? Nothing else has been changed though our neighborhood has all been getting work done on their houses from painting to new roofs. This has been going on for a few weeks and it makes Sera hide all day. But she hasn't reacted with vomiting and diarrhea before now. I did give her pumpkin for two days. This may have helped a little but it isn't fixing the problem.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Joan. Yes, any food or supplement can trigger gastrointestinal (bowel and stomach upset).

You are right that the aluminum hydroxide containing Phos Bind is more effective, for most pets, than Epakitin.

Another chitosan-containing, and non-aluminum containing phos. binder is called Aventi.

It may soothe her, and be more effective, that Epakitin.

Yes, the hearts could be triggering the current diarrhea.

Perhaps try to feed small, frequent amounts of a pure (no other ingredients) meat-based baby food.

Or try a 5 day Answer's goat milk only diet for Sera.

Good luck!

JoanD

All-Access Member
Registered
Excellent and thank you for responding so quickly. I've been giving her goat milk yogurt which I already have on hand and you're right, this seems to be helping for now. I will look at getting the Aventi and really appreciate that information.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome, Joan.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom