• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Emergency, life threatening UTI and pyometra in a dog

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I'm so glad that Sissi is home with you! ? Now she can heal...?

What she needs more than anything is your loving energy and healing intention.

Here's what I understand to be true for Sissi and every pet (or other living being). Every cell of the body needs energy to work. As cellular energy supplies are depleted, have a harder time doing their job. And like a car without gas, all life processes stop when energy runs out.

I think Sissi's BEAM (behavior, energy, appetite, mood) will improve now that she's home and you can nurture her to help her heal.

Focus first on offering her favorite foods. Eating, and enjoying fresh foods like chicken and red meats (lightly boiled so the cooked fat can be skimmed off) will increase her energy and help her heal. This works so well because happiness and unprocessed foods increase both energy and happiness and optimize her ability to heal.

The opposite are things that can burn energy and slow healing. Anything that works against the natural processes of the body uses energy.

Some medications, like anti-biotics, can decrease energy and appetite directly.

Perhaps on Sunday also try increasing her happiness and energy by loving her up, singing and smiling at her (unless smiling scares her), massaging her all over, playing her favorite music and games, offering her favorite treats, etc.

Positivity, happiness, interactivity and engaging with you can speed her recovery.

Please update us Sun. afternoon.

CelinaS

All-Access Member
Registered
I'm so glad that Sissi is home with you! ? Now she can heal...?

What she needs more than anything is your loving energy and healing intention.

Here's what I understand to be true for Sissi and every pet (or other living being). Every cell of the body needs energy to work. As cellular energy supplies are depleted, have a harder time doing their job. And like a car without gas, all life processes stop when energy runs out.

I think Sissi's BEAM (behavior, energy, appetite, mood) will improve now that she's home and you can nurture her to help her heal.

Focus first on offering her favorite foods. Eating, and enjoying fresh foods like chicken and red meats (lightly boiled so the cooked fat can be skimmed off) will increase her energy and help her heal. This works so well because happiness and unprocessed foods increase both energy and happiness and optimize her ability to heal.

The opposite are things that can burn energy and slow healing. Anything that works against the natural processes of the body uses energy.

Some medications, like anti-biotics, can decrease energy and appetite directly.

Perhaps on Sunday also try increasing her happiness and energy by loving her up, singing and smiling at her (unless smiling scares her), massaging her all over, playing her favorite music and games, offering her favorite treats, etc.

Positivity, happiness, interactivity and engaging with you can speed her recovery.

Please update us Sun. afternoon.
Hi Dr. Jeff, I am so happy as well to have her back home with me?
What I did is I steamed chicken, just to the point that I could easily rip the pieces off, and chicken is a favorite of hers but still she didn’t want to eat enough. But I will try boiling it.
So from what I understood antibiotics are working against her healing more than they are actually helping her to fight the blood draw infection right. I had a hard time giving her only one med yesterday evening, she even bit me, and today I ‘have’ to give her 4 different meds and it will also stress her out a lot.
I only want to do what is best for her and will help her heal, but if the meds are working against her healing I won’t give them to her. What do you think?
Thank you so much for your guidance ????

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Celina!

Is Sissi back to eating or being more vital today?

CelinaS

All-Access Member
Registered
You're welcome Celina!

Is Sissi back to eating or being more vital today?
She is only eating small quantities, but she ate 4x. Sissi rests a lot, but today she started to bark a bit again, when she heard ppl outside of our apartment. Also, when we go outside she gets excited, which is a good sign. She can only do short walks though. I gave her the meds this morning and I have to give the second dose in half an hour, but I’m uneasy about it.
One thing I wanted to ask you about, is if it’s a good thing that she’s drinking more water?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
For now, yes.

Her water drinking, appetite and overall internal balance should improve as you wean and stop the meds.

BTW-It sounds like Sissi is doing a fantastic job and her body is doing exactly what it needs to do!

Just keep doing what you're doing, follow your intuition and hopefully she'll be back to playing soon. ?
:dogrun:

CelinaS

All-Access Member
Registered
For now, yes.

Her water drinking, appetite and overall internal balance should improve as you wean and stop the meds.

BTW-It sounds like Sissi is doing a fantastic job and her body is doing exactly what it needs to do!

Just keep doing what you're doing, follow your intuition and hopefully she'll be back to playing soon. ?
:dogrun:
Okay, thank you ??
She is improving little by little ☺️
Thank you, I hope so too.
Also, I forgot to mention that they want to do another hemogram on Tuesday. Is it really necessary?

CelinaS

All-Access Member
Registered
This morning she ate more?. The Pau D’arco arrived, I can apply it how often I want to the wound?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Fantastic that she's getting better!

Regarding the liquid Pau D'Arco, you might want it use it up to 3-4x a day if possible (just drop it onto the red and open areas of the affected area).

Regarding repeating the CBC hemogram, that depends on why they want to recheck it, and how stressful it is for Sissi to get bloods drawn.

Regardless of your decision, definitely continue to feed small frequent amounts and to get her outside to help her get stronger and heal.

CelinaS

All-Access Member
Registered
Fantastic that she's getting better!

Regarding the liquid Pau D'Arco, you might want it use it up to 3-4x a day if possible (just drop it onto the red and open areas of the affected area).

Regarding repeating the CBC hemogram, that depends on why they want to recheck it, and how stressful it is for Sissi to get bloods drawn.

Regardless of your decision, definitely continue to feed small frequent amounts and to get her outside to help her get stronger and heal.
Okay, thank you!
They want to check the leukocytosis. However, she is doing better so that could also indicate that the infection is lowering right?
I will attach the results of her last lab test.086C23D7-F618-41AA-8B5B-A100B1C5D96F.jpeg3559309A-C79E-4D1B-95F2-840387C5834C.jpeg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, those white cell counts are super high (leukocytosis), however they have come down quite nicely in just a few days.

I think your vet wants to be sure that it keeps coming down so well.

Regarding when you recheck, it depends on how much you and your vet wants to know. It's good to follow the bloodwork as long as it's not too stressful for Sissi.

Perhaps later this week depending on her continued improvement.

CelinaS

All-Access Member
Registered
Yes, those white cell counts are super high (leukocytosis), however they have come down quite nicely in just a few days.

I think your vet wants to be sure that it keeps coming down so well.

Regarding when you recheck, it depends on how much you and your vet wants to know. It's good to follow the bloodwork as long as it's not too stressful for Sissi.

Perhaps later this week depending on her continued improvement.
She really hates going to the vet and used to get high anxiety, so it definitely will be stressful for her, not to mention that car rides make her anxious as well. However, because she is not full of energy, she won’t show as much anxiety but that doesn’t mean that she’s not stressed out.

I think it’s best to do as you said, later this week.

Yesterday she definitely didn’t eat as often but when she did, it was in bigger quantity. Still drinking a lot of water but no vomiting or diarrhea. She is walking better but her energy levels are on the lower side, which will hopefully improve as her appetite comes back??

CelinaS

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Dr. Jeff,

Sissi has had diarrhea for a few days, what could be happening?

Last Sunday I had to go to the vet to take out the stitches and the vet really believed it was important to do another blood test as Sissi’s condition had been very critical, I didn’t feel like she needed one but I let them do it. Sissi’s bloodwork was astounding to them, it wasn’t all back to normal but she had improved a lot. I will later insert the the paper here for you to see. The vet really believed Sissi wouldn’t make it on the day of the surgery and the days after but here she is, my little miracle?

I’m just worried about the diarrhea now?29052D0B-DDAC-4709-AC84-E2CBFAD0940D.jpeg50283EE8-3313-47B0-B0C9-73701E503D6B.jpeg

Last edited:

CelinaS

All-Access Member
Registered
Sissi´s feces were not runny but very soft this morning. Not sure if it has to do smth with the chicken I´m giving her.

CelinaS

All-Access Member
Registered
Sissi is not well today the diarrhea came back and now it seems like she’s pooping out fat. She has no appetite too, what can I do?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Celina-

Amazing change in Celina white count. It looks like her body is doing its' job super well!

Fasting a bit is good to help her detox.

Does she want to go on a walk? Does she like your petting/massaging her?

What is most motivating to her at this time?

CelinaS

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Dr Jeff,
Thank you for your reply.
I ended up giving a bit of cucumber juice to Sissi later on that day and it so happened that not long after that, her appetite came back and also her energy. She´s playing around with our other dog Lucy and she comes visit me at the door when I arrive, but she also rests a lot. I was able to order some treats from Ziwi and will try that out. Yes she loves going for walks so much and that is probably what motivates her the most.

Do you know why her feces were like that?

Thank you again?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great question Celina!

Yes, symptoms are a direct manifestation of changes in cellular function.

Describing the exact physiologic changes depend on the exact symptom description, e.g. soft-formed, pudding, watery, frequency, urgency, mucus, blood, etc.

It's always great to describe the details to help define the symptom. Especially if it is a persistent or prominent 4P symptom (problematic and peculiar are the other 2 categories of important symptoms).INFOGRAPHICS 4 p's.jpeg

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom