• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Dog with Shivering/ Shaking

jlandry78

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello, I just recently posted an re-introduction post and update on my dog Faith in the introduction topic area.

I shared in that post the GI distress episodes she’s had recently. We went for a re-check of the tumor at her conventional vet last Thursday, 9/27. On Friday, she had diarrhea after having normal stools for several days (this is the 3rdepisode in the past few weeks).

Since continued to eat well and has had a good appetite (we did shift from her normal diet of raw food to smaller meals of bland food – turkey, rice, and sweet potatoes), however, within the past few days her energy has been very low and she’s been much more subdued then normal. It seems that she may be in significantly more pain and I’ve increased the frequency and dose of CBD that I’m giving her and have increased the frequency of gabapentin (was previously giving 1x/day, within past 2 days – giving 3x/day). Every few hours, usually when she wakes up from sleeping, she will shiver. It’s not constant, but repeated. I have been interpreting this as pain. After feeding her and giving pain meds (either CBD or Gaba) and doing massage with essential oils, she will rest comfortably. But then often wake up several hours later with the shivering. Previously she only did this when she was anxious or fearful (mainly before going in the car). Could this shivering / shaking indicate anything other than pain? Could it be a nutritional deficiency? She’s had episodes of diarrhea multiple times within the past few weeks, so she’s not been on a normal diet, calories have been restricted, and I’ve been giving limited supplements to allow time for her GI tract to heal. Currently what I’m giving her as far as supplements are – Honest Kitchen Perfect Form (for GI support), Marshmallow, Probiotic, and Kelp, and digestive enzymes. Previously I was also giving Vit E, C, D, B, mushrooms, fish oil, neurotrophin (from Standard Process) and Liver Defense tincture (from Animal Apothecary) I was also adding ghee and/ or coconut oil to her food and she was getting goat’s milk as we were following a ketogenic diet. In the past few weeks I’ve been including very little fat in her diet.

We have RO water. I do add broth and occasionally small bit of sea salt to her water to bring some minerals in. But I’m wondering if she is mineral deficient, but also realize the shivering could be pain or even a result of the neuro-degenerative process happening in her body. I’m currently working on addressing pain by optimizing her CBD regimen. I’d love to know if the shivering could potentially point to anything other than pain and any thoughts on nutritional deficiencies that might be going on.

Are there any other supplements that you would recommend that I’m not currently giving? I’ve been wondering about the benefits of adding Zinc, Selenium, and Magnesium.

Also do dogs eventually reach the point where they don’t tolerate a raw diet or the addition of multiple supplements?

Thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey, Jill, it's great to see you back here!

I'm so glad that Faith still has a good quality of life, but am sad that she might be having pain.:(

Yes, her shivering/shaking could absolutely be a manifestation of a sensation other than pain such as anxiety.

Regardless of the sensation or emotion that is causing her shivering, homeopathy, and her innate healing ability, can help.

No the shivering is unlikely to be a calcium, glucose or other deficiency.

And her continuing to eat is an awe-some sign that her BEAM is "OK" ? .

Fantastic supplementation regimen!

You may want to consider adding Onco Support and Nutritional Support from Rx Vitamins:

Yes, absolutely some pets do not have sufficient cellular energy to be able to break down raw food.

They therefore get symptoms of diarrheas, vomiting, etc.

Lightly cooking the diet and using Dia-Assist as needed works well:

Good luck, and please share some pics of Faith.

You can even use her as your picture on every forum post you do.
forum picture.png

jlandry78

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you Dr. Jeff for this advice. Attaching a picture here, but will also see if I can add it to my profile. Thank you for suggestion!

Faith Close Up with Crossed Paws.JPG

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Jill.

You did it!:snowman: Great work with uploading your profile picture!!

Faith looks so happy and comfortable here...:D

jlandry78

All-Access Member
Registered
Yes, I love that picture. I miss that smiling face. Unfortunately she has seemed more down (emotionally) within the past week. Dr. Jeff, I saw on my other post you mention about sharing about calcium levels and if the tumor is affecting her at all. Last time calcium was checked (this was in August when it was first diagnosed) levels were normal. Levels haven't been re-checked since, but as I write this I"m thinking it would be good to that. Can you remind me of what the significance of the calcium levels are with this type of tumor? The tumor is growing by the vet's assessment. It has been pretty fast growing over all. Recently her eating has slowed, not wanting the range of foods she ate before, and she's not as energetic or interactive as she was a week ago. I'm having a hard time assessing if this is due to pain or something else. She is back to having normal stools now, but they are a bit mis-shape -I'm guessing from the tumor pressing into the rectum a bit.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hiya Jill.

Oh dear, I'm so sorry to hear that Faith's BEAM has dropped. ?

The correct homeopathic medicine could change that pretty quickly (sometimes seconds!!) to help her feel happy again.:dog2:

I am no oncologist but my understanding is that Ca level is a powerful prognostic indicator.

Is she getting CBDs to help her BEAM and pickiness??

jlandry78

All-Access Member
Registered
Yes I am too. I"m still exploring potential causes of that (beyond just what may be progression of disease). She is getting CBD and it does seem to be helping. Would there be an acute homeopathic remedy that could be helpful in this case (meaning something I could buy over the counter) or would it be more of the approach of working with homeopathic practitioner?

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom