• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Dog eating poop/ vitamin deficient

F

Frances

Hi, I hope to find some answers as my 8 month old male maltese, occasionally is eating the poop, of or other Maltese. I had seen it for my own eyes. :( :( As you all know my puppy has a liver shunt, and we are still waiting to hear back from insurance if they will cover his procedure. In the mean time, he is receiving home cooked meals and Vitality Blend for his vitamins and a couple of other things. How else can I help him so that he no longer eats poop? This makes me very sad, and more so confirms he is vitamin deficient and I am not sure how to rectify it. Thank you..

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Frances!

Coprophagia (the medical term for stool eating) is actually not usually from a vitamin deficiency.

It is a common individual preference and frequently seen behavior in all dogs (liver shunt or not).

Here's a nice summary article about this "normal" behavior:

If the poop eating is prominent, it can be an awe-some clue to needed homeopathic medicines.

The bottom line is to gently discourage the behavior and not to worry too much about it.

F

Frances

Thank you. I have made an appointment with our holistic vet and see what homeopathic medicines she will suggest with regards to this. I appreciate your input and advice. Reading the article helped ease my mind, and we make sure there is no evidence of dog doo anywhere in the yard. Thank you again.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome.

Picking up the poop in the yard is fantastic!

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Also, Frances, the poop eating can be a great clue to improvement in health. As the health improves with homeopathy or other holistic treatments, the stool eating will stop.

It is completely normal for healthy dogs to eat vegetarian poop like from goats, horses, squirrels, etc.

Not all holistic veterinarians who say they are homeopathic have the training to find that one homeopathic medicine that matches all your pup's symptoms. Some just use homeopathic medicines for this problem or that problem.

What is the name of the vet you plan to visit?

Dr. Christina

F

Frances

Hello Dr Christina,
The doctor we will be seeing is in line with our veterinarian that we see, her name is Dr Megan Wiltzius, ( Doctors | Mountain View Animal Hospital & Holistic Pet Care). This veterinarian office is the only one close by us that has holistic doctors. Also what do you suggest for my 6 year old Maltese who has a dry and sometimes crusty nose?

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
do you live in Reno?
There is an excellent veterinary homeopath (he treats people, too) in Tahoe (CA side, I think).

Mt view vet definitely seems holistic from their site, and other vets in addition to Dr. Megan are trained in Chinese medicine and chiropractic, so it could be very good.

Dr. Christina

F

Frances

Thank you very much Dr Christina. Yes, i live in reno. Thats comforting to know about my current vet, and I will look into the holistic vet in Lake Tahoe.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom