• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Combining NSAID with antacid

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Blossom's surgery is coming up. Assuming she checks out well this week to explain her exhalations and seeming tiredness after and on some walks (intermittent problem). I was wondering, they give a NSAID Rimadyl and maybe she would take that for a day or two but are antacids a good idea to pair with the NSAID to prevent erosion of the stomach? In other words is an antacid necessary. I don't recall them prescribing this with other dogs or is it a new thing. Thanks

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
In other words is an antacid necessary.
No, I don't think antacids are necessary during a few doses of Rimadyl.

And high potency Arnica in water (and succussed before each dose) frequently after surgery can minimize the need for other med.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Yep; speaking as the non-doctor, a couple of doses of Arnica 10M will obviate the need for any other pain med. In fact, you should get a dose into her right before the surgery, and then again right after. Carry a little vial of it with you, so you can slip (slop) it in her when you see her right after, while the people are looking in another direction.

Then, dose her maybe once that evening, and again the next day - IF it looks as though she's hurting, and not otherwise. That's it. Cheap and filling, and terribly effective.

A refresher course: dissolve a pill in a few ounces of water, succuss it ten times (beat it on your palm or something like) and get SOME in her: a spoonful, a few drops, a q-tip's worth, or just slop a little into her mouth. If you can't do those, wet a tissue with it and swab inside her ear. No drugs!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom