• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Check dog's teeth who doesn't want to be touched

AnnmarieF

VIP Member
Registered
hi,
how to do you go about checking a dog's teeth who doesn't want to be touched, I think she has an infected tooth.

Do you have to use anesthesia?

thank you

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
No Annmarie, you don't usually need to anesthetize these guys.

I bet @Dr. Christina and @Dr. Sara have some tips.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Once this tooth issue is resolved - what is happening now? - it would be good to use positive reinforcement to train your dog to LOVE having the mouth, eyes, ears, feet, etc, examined!
Dr. Christina

Dr. Sara

VIP Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Some dogs like to tug, and that can actually be a good way to look at their teeth, if they are focussed enough on tugging that they will allow you to use another toy (not your finger) to push the lips up to look in the mouth. Above all, be safe. If the mouth is uncomfortable, there may be no option aside from sedation. We don't want anyone to get bitten, or the dog to be made painful by harsh manipulations.

It is incredibly important to teach your pets to accept handling of all body parts - though that may be easier said than done. Find something that your pet loves, and pair that with touching near areas that they don't want handled. Note that I said 'near'!

Suppose your dog loves chicken, but hates having the mouth touched. Feed chicken while massaging the nearest part to the mouth that the dog likes having handled. Gradually move closer, ensuring that the dog stays relaxed and eating. A similar approach can be used for handling feet or ears. These sessions must be short - just a minute at the most.
Hope this helps.
Dr. Sara

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom