• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Charlie & His Worms

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
I was able to take a few worms to the vet today. She said they look like tape worms. I took a stool sample in yesterday which was negative for parasites eggs. Charlie doesn't have fleas. The vet said he had them at some point. Are there other ways to get tape worms?

Her recommendation was to give him a praziquantel injection. I couldn't find a lot of info on this medication, enough though to say I'm not sure I want to use it.

Will the Verm-X products get rid of the worms? They're available now from Amazon. Charlie has lost four pounds.

Thanks!

Kristen

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hiya Kristen-

Great question!

Supplements like Verm-X can indeed help improve Charlie's intestinal immunity, his microbiome and terrain and get rid of worms.

Are these the ingredients of the product you have?

Brown Rice, Dried Poultry, Beet Pulp, Poultry Fat, Verm-X (Cinnamon, Garlic, Thyme, Peppermint, Fennel, Cleavers, Nettles, Slippery Elm, Quassia, Cayenne), Potato, Potato Starch, Brewers Yeast, Chicken Stock, Dried Seaweed, Salmon Oil, Vitamins & Minerals, Prebiotic FOS, MOS, Green Tea. Analysis: Protein 22%, Oil12%, Ash 6%, Fibre 3%

If so, they look fine overall and yes, I would use them before chemicals as long as Charlie's BEAM is normal.

If any part of his BEAM is decreased, then because of his weight loss, I would strongly consider the praziquantel. It's relatively safe, and could help him regain the weight faster than Verm-X.

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you @Dr. Jeff -- this helps with my HMDM. Charlie's BEAM is not normal and has changed in a negative direction since I adopted him. However, I think what I observe now is his true BEAM. During the first month here, he seemed better than how he appears now. I believe looking 'better' was part of his adjustment to all of the changes he went through from surrender to adoption over a two month period.

Regarding Verm-X, the ingredients you've listed are for the Verm-X dog treats. Here are the ingredients for the Verm-X liquid that I would use:

Cinnamon, Garlic, Common Thyme, Peppermint, Fennel, Cleavers, Nettle, Slippery Elm, Quassia, Elecampane.

Thanks again!

Kristen

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
These also are fine to use (at the recommended doses).

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Dogs and cats get tapeworms from fleas, which are the intermediate host.
The head of the tapeworm embeds in the intestinal wall and a chain of segments with eggs inside them is connected to the head. This is why you may see the larvae (look like little grains of rice) but no eggs will show in the stool - they are all inside the segment.

Tapes can cause weight loss, slowly, but in general do not need to be quickly eliminated like whips or hooks.

I would use Para-outta-site flower essence for 2 months along with and after the vermX treatment.

One client used just this flower essence. After 4 weeks one dog passed 4 cups of tapes (60# dog) and 2 weeks later the second dog passed a cup or so. I think it really cleans out residual worms by shifting the energy pattern of the dog.

Of course, the right homeopathic medicine will also shift the energy pattern to eliminate worms as well as resolve other symptoms.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
Also, mice and other rodents are intermediate hosts for tapeworms:

Thanks @Dr. Jeff -- I looked at this resource when reading the other thread about hookworms. It's a little confusing because the info on tapeworms says dogs don't lose weight. Charlie has lost weight although it could be for other reasons. How I would love for things to be black and white!

Charlie got his injection for the worms on Tuesday. I wasn't able to go into the vet's office with him. They gave him the shot in the lobby so I could stand outside and watch and he could see me. He also gained a 20 ounces.

Thanks again!

Kristen

novasimpson

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello! I hope it is okay to add tater tot worm experience here....

So yesterday I saw tater tot smelling something and when I looked closer it was a desiccated mouse.

She is a big scavenger... Especially pizza crust ;-) but first time for worms

Today I found tapeworms in her poop. So gross ?. I'm not sure if the two are connected.

And with tater tots belly history - I'm not sure if it would be best just to deworm her? Thank you!

PXL_20211112_112117232.MP.jpg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

novasimpson

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello! I have not seen fleas on Tater Tot at all. She hasn't been very itchy either. Once in a while she has a quick itch on her butt or paw but rarely.

I feed her cooked pork (could it be from that...if undercooked?)

She scavenges and may have eaten animal poop? We live in the city and there have been more mouse and rat sightings outside...? How does it spread throught mice...TT may have crossed paths with a mouse but wouldn't eat one.

We haven't treated with anything yet besides her homeopathic remedy.

I am trying not to be too grossed out! The segments move and stretch ? And a little worried bc have kids around.

How long can a tapeworm live without shedding it's segments? It seems that it wants to shed segments in attempt to spread, yeah? So I would think this infection is newer versus her having a while and just now shedding segments? That is what my thought process....please correct me if wrong!

And seeing segments doesn't mean it is being passed..just shedding itself...is that right?

Thank you ??

Last edited:

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
I've fed raw pork for over 20 years, with no tapes evident. We get rats here, and the dogs occasionally catch one, but they don't eat them and do give them up readily. In any case, they are fat, healthy field rats in limited numbers, so perhaps not so likely to have parasites themselves.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Nova-

I think you'll find your answers (and more) in Dr. Wiese's Worms and Germs blog article that I posted Fri am.

novasimpson

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello!

I got the VermX liquid! And I tried to add a small amount to Taters food. She took one lick then walked away and laid down. She refused to eat any more. It is a very strong smelling liquid for sure. So now I have an opened bottle of VermX liquid in the U.S. with ~2ml missing if anyone wants it :)

I also have the Para-OuttaSite essential oil which I am starting today.

A post above from Dr Jeff says that praziquantel is relatively safe. So I am thinking if giving her a dose. Any thought or experience with prasiquantel?

Thank you ?

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello!

I got the VermX liquid! And I tried to add a small amount to Taters food. She took one lick then walked away and laid down. She refused to eat any more. It is a very strong smelling liquid for sure. So now I have an opened bottle of VermX liquid in the U.S. with ~2ml missing if anyone wants it :)

I also have the Para-OuttaSite essential oil which I am starting today.

A post above from Dr Jeff says that praziquantel is relatively safe. So I am thinking if giving her a dose. Any thought or experience with prasiquantel?

Thank you ?

@novasimpson -- Hi! Where did you find the VermX liquid?

Thanks!

Kristen

novasimpson

All-Access Member
Registered
Hey! I bought it online Bigamart.com and it ships internationally -definitely marked up and shipping is pricey but it did come quickly!

If you want you can private msg me your address and I will ship this bottle I have- no charge :). I'd rather have someone use it then it be wasted. I opened it a couple weeks ago and used 2ml....not sure if you are okay with that.

Let me know :) @kristen_acri

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom