• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Cat sneezing, eye watering and nose bleed

EdwinA

VIP Member
Registered
My cat Smudge started doing moist-sounding sneezes last night. Today they have got more frequent and his right eye seems to be sore - he's mostly keeping it shut.

I gave him some vitamin C and later on a curcumin capsule. The curcumin must have disagreed with him because he vomited it up. This made his nose bleed a little bit.

Is this herpes conjunctivitis? Does the combination of sneezing and eye soreness point to this?

As the symptoms are quite non-specific, I wonder if there is a go-to homeopathic remedy? And any big do's and don't's?

Thanks so much, anyone, for your help...

IMG_4374.JPG

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Vitamin C was a good choice.
Lysine 250 mg twice a day - there are some in chewable tabs, others are liquid or capsules.
If you have Aconitum, give a dose or two of that as it is good for early infections, nose and eye problems. 30c may be most readily available to you, so put a pellet in 1/2 C water in a jar and shake it hard 20 times, then put a drop in the mouth. Repeat every hour for 3 doses and see what changes.

Do you have a holistic veterinarian on your holistic health care team yet?

Dr. Christina

EdwinA

VIP Member
Registered
Hi Dr Christina.

Thanks so much for your response. I've been so worried and it's so comforting to have great guidance.

Is it likely to be herpes, hence the lysine? I've got some powder and I can put it in a capsule.

He's been sleeping, and getting some bloody discharge from his nose. Is that common?

I've given two Aconite 200C about forty minutes apart - I only had 200C. Is that okay? I was going to give another one soon. I put a pellet under his lip.

I also gave him a bit of colloidal silver.

I've got just about every other herb etc. in the house. Anything else I should give him or just stick with that? I was going to give him some reishi...

Thank you so much for your help!

Here in the UK, you have to get a referral from a conventional vet to see a homeopathic vet, so I don't have a go-to holistic vet.

Edwin

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Edwin, I would suggest you hold off on the Aconite for a bit. That was a pretty substantial amount... Let's see what he can do with it. Keep us posted on his condition.

EdwinA

VIP Member
Registered
Thanks so much for your advice, Ginny! I really appreciate it.

Very soon after the Aconite, I thought he seemed better - he went and had a good amount of food, he was holding his eye shut much less, the sneezing was better and the discharge from his nose was a lot less.

This morning, all those symptoms seem to have gone and he is acting himself again! (Touch wood!)

Thank you so much, Dr Christina and Ginny, for your amazing help!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I'm so glad Smudge is better Edwin! He is an awfully handsome fella!

Yes, feline herpes can cause symptoms like this.

How was his BEAM while he was symptomatic?

Lysine alone can help some cats with the virus, but I find that the synergistic blend in Liquid Immuno often works even better:

Active Ingredients (per 2 mL): L-Lysine (pharmaceutical grade) 500 mg, Larch Arbinogalactan (larix occidentalis extract) 100 mg, Reishi Mushroom (ganoderma lucidum) 50 mg, Lutein (bioactive carotenoid) 3 mg.

Another (and more natural) useful supplement for respiratory support is master herbalist Phil Reich's tonic:

I don't know if they ship their wonderful products to the UK, but if they do so and you want to order anything, the discount code is resp10.

EdwinA

VIP Member
Registered
Hi Dr Jeff.

He only had symptoms for about a day and at first they were mild. The sneezing got more and eventually he had the bloody discharge and the eye-watering. When the symptoms were worse he was mostly sleeping so it's hard to gauge the BEAM very well but he was definitely withdrawn and didn't want to play in the evening like he usually does. Pretty much straight after the Aconite he got up and wanted food and even a little bit of catnip-butterfly-catching. Then this morning he was back to himself with no symptoms (he might have had one or two little sneezes early on).

Should I still give him stuff or just leave his body to sort it out now? Is it cured?

Thanks so much!

Edwin

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Edwin, I think he's on the way to a full resolution. Let him cook. Keep us apprised, though. One can always nudge, if necessary. But there's little to be gained from pushing downhill:)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, I agree with Ginny that now's a great time to practice watchful waiting.

Time to "get out of the way" and let his body do its job. No extra supps should be needed now.

Good work helping Smudge through his respiratory flare!! Has he ever had symptoms like this before?

EdwinA

VIP Member
Registered
Thanks for your help and concern, Dr Jeff.

No, Smudge hasn't had these symptoms before to my knowledge. He is prone to the odd sneeze, but not with other symptoms of infection.

He has sneezed a couple of times today, but not like the other day, when it was really bothering him.

The Aconite did seem to work wonders! How often does a respiratory infection seemingly go after a day?

EdwinA

VIP Member
Registered
Thanks so much, Ginny. I followed your and Dr Jeff's advice and Smudge seems to be over the infection super-quickly! xx

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for pointing this big difference between the conventional care of respiratory infections vs. homeopathic care.

Conventionally, we don't commonly see resolution of a URTI this quickly. However homeopathically we do see this often depending on the vitality of the pet.

Smudge is one vital guy who is luck to have you as his dad! :)

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
I wrote an article about Feline Conjunctivitis, which involves nutrition, vaccination, etc., and info on the dose of lysine. In the article I recommend a couple of homotox (low potency combos) so it's more "accessible" to lay readers, but of course constitutional homeopathy is always best. Feline Conjunctivitis | Little Big Cat

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for posting Jean!

Thanks as well for distinguishing between homeopathic medicine as used per Dr. Hahnemann (classical or constitutional homeopathy) vs. using homeopathically-prepared medicines in homotox combinations.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom