• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Cat experiencing Diabetes

AndiS

All-Access Member
Registered
Our sweet 9 year old orange tabby has been experiencing diabetes. We want to support him and his healing and seek guidance on how. We have avoided the insulin mostly and tried an herbal supplement caller Sugar Gold for 3 weeks with no success. He seems lower energy than usual so he has received insulin the last few days. I have brought him upstairs at bedtime since I’ve been concerned about him and he pees in the bathtub (new this week) sleeps on the tile floor for a few hours and leaves and then howls sporadically at night. The howls have ceased the last two nights. He now sleeps during the day out of the way whereas he used to sleep in walkways to be seen and pet (or so I thought). Also, he recently asks to go out like dog would to urinate and then will usually come back close to the door. He has been drinking a good deal of water. He had dental surgery this past October and I can’t help but think he is still processing anesthesia or something heavy.
Looking for what to feed him and what supplements, and any other advice to support Sonny.

2213F80D-7772-47EC-91C1-33BC29A9D6DE.jpeg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for writing about Sunshine and making your first forum post, Andi. ?

How much insulin does he get, how often do you give it, and what kind of insulin?

You can try using the Sugar Gold supplement to keep him on a low dose of insulin.

In addition to lower energy, how's his overall BEAM (Behavior, Energy, Appetite, Mood) been since the insulin in the past few days?

What were your very first symptom clues that he was sick?

Do you know how high his blood glucose was prior to the insulin?

Do you test his sugars at home?

What did he eat before diabetes, and what is he eating now?

Sorry for all the questions. They help provide some context for deciding what to do.

Learning what is possible for healing for his diabetes is Step 1 of the HMDM protocol. It depends on the context of the totality of his current and past symptoms.

The Holistic Medical Decision Making is described here:

AndiS

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank You for all of the clarifying questions! We have a call later but am replying here as it will help with organizing thoughts and maybe help someone else down the line.

How much insulin does he get, how often do you give it, and what kind of insulin?
—He has had very little Insulin over sine end the diagnosis. It’s ProZinc. He has received 1-2 units per time a total of 6-10 times.

You can try using the Sugar Gold supplement to keep him on a low dose of insulin.
—Thank you, we will keep it up for now.

In addition to lower energy, how's his overall BEAM (Behavior, Energy, Appetite, Mood) been since the insulin in the past few days?
—He seemed less depressed. We have not given him insulin since then and he seems calm, subtly interactive and desire to go outdoors, wants to eat but less howling. I should note he had Body and Emotion Code energy work and was probably processing that as well.

What were your very first symptom clues that he was sick?
—Urinating outside the litter box. Also, noticing his weight changed.
11/17- 15.2
11/18 -16.5
7/19 - 15.2
8/19 - 14.2
9/19 - 12.6
11/19 - 11.4
2/20 - 10.4
7/27 - 11.2

Do you know how high his blood glucose was prior to the insulin?
-7 day average - 529
- 14 day average - 492

Do you test his sugars at home?
Yes.

What did he eat before diabetes, and what is he eating now?
-Purina Naturals with Wet food occasionally
- Vet recommended Royal Canin Glycobalnce (did not use long)
- Now a grainfree dry food is left out for him. Wet food to include plain salmon or tuna in given a 2-3 times a day. He doesn’t seem to like chicken but will eat the bone broth.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi again, Andi. I'm glad that we got to discuss Sunshine today.

Thanks for your replies.

Try to focus on fresh and canned foods. No dry.

Wonderful work that you're monitoring his glucose at home!?

I'd advise at least 1 or 2 units of insulin/day based on his blood sugars.

Also, focus on his happiness by promoting purring.

The more environmental enrichment, like running after toys or playing the hunt for treats game, the better.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom