• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Cancer tumor 13 year old Cocker Spaniel

JennieC

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello
we Are back with Romeo now having a 5 inch tumor in his abdomen. Vet believes it is coming from the liver or spleen. I am feeding him raw veggies, celery juice in his meal,a capful of primal goats milk, blueberry slurry, some cooked sardines and now raw turkey with organ and bones that we just got today. I am also giving him a full culterelle probiotic, a mushroom mix recommended by Dr Jeff and Onco Support by RX vitamins also recommended. I had to back him way way down on the amount of both of those supplements as he was acting very anxious and panting, then literally sleeping all day. I also give him a drop of natures answer milk thistle and a drop of vegan safe b12 by global healing center 2 x a day which really makes a difference for him.
He has a few spots on his ear, right above his eye, and under his other ear that are crusted over and smell which the vet said were 'sebaceous cysts" and prescribed a antibiotic that I did not give to him. I am wondering what I could possibly do to get rid of these as they are not pleasant.
Romeo is doing ok right now, he just seems to get anxious after I give him supplements and will also still compulsively do circles in one spot which he has done since the rabies vaccine along with the the whole body tics or jerking.
He does get very blood shot eyes after he has the turkey, but not really so much after the canned sardines if I give him only those with his food.
so I guess my questions are
- anything I can do to help with these "cysts"
- I have some raw whole sardines, would it be ok to ground these up (head and all) and feed it to him?
- should I continue to give him small amounts of the Onco support and mushroom mix and work our way up?
-and one more question I would like to ask is sometimes he will position himself with his butt in the air, and laying down in the front. seems very strange I'm wondering if it means he has pain from the tumor and the bloating in his belly.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Welcome back Jennie!

I'm so sorry to hear about Romeo's abdominal tumor.?

Don't worry as much about the smelly skin cysts.

The smell is most certainly related to the scabbing.

Pour peroxide on the scabbed area and gently wipe it away when it stops bubbling. That should eliminate the scab and the odor.

Once the scab is gone, you can use green tea to gently clean and dry the area.☕

Did the cysts come up before or after the abdominal tumor symptoms?

Yes to ground raw sardines. :thumbsup:

Yes to working up on the supplements, but I would be more interested in learning more about the details of Romeo's individual response to them.

Yes again!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

That is often the position dogs and cats take when they are having abdominal cramps or other discomfort.

How frequently does this occur?

How's his BEAM when this happens?

Homeopathically, this position is a great clue to his individuality,
especially if it is modified by (aka has a modality) of time, food, drinking, etc.

JennieC

All-Access Member
Registered
The cysts showed up actually very quickly over the last month or two while the bloating was happening. They are large,, probably at least an inch or a little bigger, and its almost like its just chunks of hair with an attached area, and they are hard. Very strange and the vet did not really look at them too much. When I put peroxide on it, it doesn't bubble or anything.
The first few days Romeo seemed to be doing better with the supplements. He was actually looking us in the eyes, and walking better, didn't seem as "weak.".
Then I tried to give it to him twice a day, and by the next morning, he was very very anxious, shakey and panting a lot.
The next day I cut it back and only did once a day and he wasn't as shaky or anxious, but still has panting. Yesterday he threw up some a couple hours after he ate (I put his supplements in his food) and then again today had some burping and I could tell he felt nauseous because he was licking a lot which he has done in the past. Ive noticed his eyes do not turn beet red like they have in the past after eating. He also isn't sitting with his rear in the air as much.
His behavior is basically the same. Still sits alone, does not want to play anything, he will come up to us to get pet which is good and he also is nudging his way around the other dog which he hasn't done before.
I believe the other dog is causing him stress and I'm wondering if the body jerks or "tics" is adrenaline surges? (He does still have those sometimes but not as frequently) Maybe I should be feeding him less, but more often? If he does not have the b12 and milk thistle though he will not really eat and has no energy. But, when he does have it, which I give to him twice a day, he will eat great but unfortunately wants to eat Non Stop. He is constantly hungry then. He still does the "circling" and seems confused and depressed a lot.
We have a very hard time getting him to sleep at night. He will wander the hallway and kitchen and sleep for a while in the hall. We do have to put down pads because he will go on the floor but we have been getting up in the night to let him out. We have tried the Bachs pet stress drops and they do not do anything for him.
I hope that explains the BEAM.:)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Jennie-

Have you tried CBDs, something like Hemp Rx, before he goes to bed or if he wakes up overnight?

JennieC

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi again
The vet gave us glucosamine CBD biscuits from her store last summer and we tried them. They did not seem to do anything at all. Is hemp rx something online? Is there a cbd that works really well?
thank you

JennieC

All-Access Member
Registered
Dr Christina
Romeo last saw the vet that we worked with a couple weeks ago, Dr Ana Falk who is a homeopathic vet and she took his X-rays, gave us his diagnosis, and said we could either take him for biopsy or "hospice " care. She gave us remedies of arnica plus calendula for "pain" and phosphate. Along with that a couple prescription medications for pain and anxiety. Then sent us on our way.
I am looking now for another in Iowa, but am not finding many with "homeopathic" in their profiles.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Jennie-

Yes, you can buy Hemp Rx online at homevet.com or Dr. Silver's WellPet dispensary.

Regarding the recommendation of hospice care for Romeo, I wonder if his quality of life and BEAM is any different than usual?

Speaking of quality of life, you may want to add at least 3 snuffle mat sessions and sniff walks to his daily regime.

Regarding a vet homeopath, you can consult with one of us anywhere in the world by phone/Skype/Zoom while continuing to work with any local open-minded vet.

Here's the AVH listing of Us/Canada vet homeopaths:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

JennieC

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello
Romeo just fell down a flight of stairs, because someone left the door open. arghhh. He is shaking, panting and a nervous wreck. He is taking Conium for the health issues. Am I able to give him Arnica? I have a mix of calendula and arnica from the prior vet that I can give 1 ml for pain, or I have 30 c pellets from Boiron and a 6c pellet from Boiron.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes! Add just 1 of the Boiron 30c pellets to 1 cup of water.

Succuss 10x and dose as often as needed based on any sign of distress.

JennieC

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you Dr Jeff for the response on the arnica.
An update on Romeo
I have been working With Dr Judy for Romeo
at first we were trying Conium.
It seemed it was too potent for him and his pacing, circling body jerks and leg weakness and imbalance was getting worse. H e was also panting like crazy. At that time I also took him to only one drop of milk thistle and 2 drops of b12 with each meal which seemed to help.
next we tried Causticum which was just on Tuesday. We tried one pellet in 8 ounces of water and gave 3 drops. It helped a ton with him urinating on the floor randomly and at night. However the body jerks and twitches and leg weakness/imbalance seemed to increase. I have been having to give him only small amounts of Onco RX and mushroom mix. as to not put him into such a frenzy (is what it seems like). He seems to rev up around 1130-midnight and pants a lot, seems to have hard time breathing, until usually around 4 to5 am. Last night was not a good night we were up until 2 and then I konked out.
We are evaluating his quality of life as it just doesn't seem to be going so great, but then other days he is great and actually will run into the house and jump for a treat.
Just confused and overwhelmed. Im assuming his liver is struggling around these times in the night where he is revved up and SOB.
He is still having celery juice with each meal and the kale and blueberries, along with fresh veggies, meat and coconut oil.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Jennie!

I'm sorry to hear that Romeo's quality of life is questionable. ?

Aside from his nightly (every night?) agitation, what else is going on with his BEAM?

You might also want to ask @dr_ judy herman about using 2mg melatonin ~1 hour before bed.

JennieC

All-Access Member
Registered
hi
He is agitated a lot through the day. He still does some of the pacing and circling , which is the worst at night. He does not care to leave the house and go on walks at all. We make him go just for short walks down the road and back. He also does not like to be in the dark I've noticed. He will only stay in the hallway and kitchen at night and will not go into rooms. His energy is ok if he has his supplements, if he doesn't then he does not do much and won't eat well. He will do the pacing and wandering through the house and his appetite is very good, although he could eat constantly. He does not like to be on anybody's lap anymore and doesn't care to be in one spot for a prolonged amount of time unless he is sleeping, in which he does not really sleep much more than a couple hours at a time.
Dr Judy just suggested arsenicum 6c however a specific dose was not listed in the email so I'm waiting back for specifics on that. He is very sensitive and has had the remedies put in 8 ounces of water and given anywhere from 1 to 3 drops, one time. I also asked about melatonin. I do have 0.5mg melatonin from pure encapsulations so hoping if it is a go I can use that.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Jennie-

I hope the Ars helps Romeo...

How's his mobility and BEAM?

He has some important and potentially useful symptoms. Things like the restlessness, pacing, agoraphobia (does he go out in the yard?), fear of the dark, etc. Hopefully these can help you find some useful homeopathic medicines for him.

If he is still over-reacting to the 1-3 drops, talk to @dr_ judy herman about using the Q-Tip method.

JennieC

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi again,
His mobility is limited. His legs are weak and he takes very small steps. His back legs are giving out sometimes and hard for him to get up from laying.,
His Beam
his behavior is stand offish, doesn't care to be held onto or sit in your lap.
energy is low, although he does a lot of walking through the house
appetite is ok, and he could eat constantly.
his mood, doesn't charge much. he has a very flat affect. he is a very nice sweet dog and only gets irritated when we try to cut off fur from under his feet.
we tried another drop of arsenica on Friday because the circling and things were becoming more frequent . Not much of a change afterwards except maybe sleeping a little more during the day. We also gave a pinch of melatonin and that seemed to make him more agitated.
I am only able to give him a pinch of the Onco RX and the mushroom mix.
Would it hurt to give him a couple extra drops of the b12 through the day and see if it increases his energy?
He gets more energy with 2 drops of milk thistle at mealtime but I had to cut it back because he was panting a ton and seemed like too much for him.
Perhaps I should try that again as well.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Jennie, sorry to hear of Romeo's challenges. ?

Is this low energy and standoffish behavior new, or has he always been this way?

Do you use any joint supplements?

Amilextin from Vetriscience and Nutriflex from Rx Vitamins are joint supplements that seem to act together and work well.

No problem with the B12.

JennieC

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi again,
No he was not like this until the vaccination and surgery last year.
will look into the supplements above.
Thank you :)

JennieC

All-Access Member
Registered
Is it ok to give Romeo a drop of lemon balm? He has had a diluted dose of belladonna 30c and a diluted dose (one drop in 8 Oz water for both) of arsenicum. He has been circling all day non stop and has not slept.. he is panting and legs giving out falling over. Dr Judy has me give him these things to slow him down and it isn’t working. Is there any reason to not give him a small amount of lemon balm or anything else I can do. Thank yoi

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom