• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Broken Dew Claws

novasimpson

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello!  Toshia (female shihtzu) partially broke her dew claw on her front right paw.  I think the groomer has not clipped her dew claws the last 2 groomings (and I didn't notice :( So the dew claws are longer then they "should" be.  We were playing with a toy, she jumped and when she landed she cried out and then limped for a little bit.  I picked her up and she calmed down quickly.  When I put here down, she was fine but every so often she starts limping again, favoring her paw.  The nail looks like it is only partially torn.  There is no blood but I see a small red area.  She guards her paw when I try to look at the claw.

I am not sure what to do, she seems okay but is it better to let it fall off naturally or should I try to clip it?  I'm afraid it might get caught and rip off painfully??  I'm not sure if she will even let me try to clip it....so then I think I may have to go to the vet to have it done. Does anyone have any input? or have had experience with this?

Thank you!

Nova

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Dear Nova,
These torn dewclaws can be quite painful. When there is a injury to a nerve rich area like a digit, Hypericum in low potency (6C, 12 X, or 6X) is often helpful. You can give a dose a few times a day for a few days until you can get to the vet to have the loose nail gently removed. The problem is that a loose piece is more likely to catch on rugs or blankets, and cause your girl more pain. If you can hold her paw, including the affected area, in a solution of warm Epsom salts (diluted as for soaking feet) that will help decrease any swelling and discomfort as well. After soaking, dip the foot in plain warm water, as you don't want her to drink the Epsom salt solution. It can air dry, as it will probably be too tender for you to handle.
Dr. Sara

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wow, thanks so much for your post Dr. Sara!!

Nova - Please let me know next week how TT is doing.

Dr. Jeff

DonnaR

All-Access Member
Registered
CAT NAILS PULLED OUT - what remedy / treatment would you recommend for my cat that "pulled out several nails completely"? There is a little blood but mostly dried on her hair.

I started her on ARNICA 10m before and after dental. She was hiding at first, but after a few days BEAM is great except for her being skitish of me giving her Qtip of Arnica, and a little tentative when walking. I'm sure she is in some pain.

It was done at vet for her dental cleaning and blood test. She totally freaked out at the vet not letting them touch her. They left her alone, when she settled down, they were able to work with her.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Donna-

Homeopathic treatments are typically based on symptoms which may develop when the homeostasis (balance) has been disrupted.

Since different individuals react to the same stressor, like an injury that tears a nail, differently, there is no one answer.

However, Arnica is frequently indicated whenever there is a bruised sensation which often manifests in kitties as restlessness or hiding.

Typically a repetition of Arnica 10M helps relieve these symptoms if you see them.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom