• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Bladder infection and diet

KathyS

All-Access Member
Registered
I just found out that my dog Peanut has a pretty nasty bladder infection that could have gotten to his kidneys. His blood work was normal with some increased SDMA and creatine. His UA was normal. So I got some antibiotics and got him a urine culture to make sure it was the appropriate antibiotic. My concern is this: The dog has a propensity for bladder infections if he's not on the right diet. For years he was on the UA Royal Canine prescription diet for his bladder infections. The cardiologist changed him from a UA Royal Canine prescription diet to a Hills prescription for cardiac conditions due to the high sodium in the UA diet. The diet he has now is the best for his heart. And without that, I'm not sure he would even be here right now. Currently, I'm feeding him chicken hearts for breakfast. And advacado, carrot and some cooked cauliflower in the evening with either chicken or fish. I've also been giving him more chicken bones. Not sure what activated the bladder infection. With the UA diet he never got the bladder infections. Does anyone have any homeopathy or diet ideas to hep my dog with this? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Kathy. I'm sorry to hear about Peanut's diagnosis, but am glad to hear about his almost normal blood and urine tests.

A great way to start sorting out the underlying problem is by looking at his current symptoms.

For example, what was his BEAM (behavior, energy, appetite, mood) like when this first started?

Did he have any urinary or other physical or emotional changes?

These symptom clues will help lead you to an acute homeopathic medicine chosen based on current symptom clues.

However, the full context of Peanut's symptoms includes his whole history since this episode is more than just a one-off acute urinary challenge.

If you are working with a holistic vet or vet homeopath they will look at his heart, kidney and other symptoms all together.

Specific diet and homeopathic medicine recommendations will depend on this critical context.

There are a few general supportive measures that you can start right away.

These are holistic actions like maximizing his outdoor activity and happiness and play.

In addition to his outdoor sniff walks, also start using the snuffle mat inside for at least 45 minutes/day.

You could load it with little pieces of freeze-dried hearts (chicken, beef, turkey, duck), Ziwi Peak air-dried food, or any treat that he really likes.

These easy actions can help activate healing mechanisms in his body by increasing cellular energy.

There's also a Designs for Health supplement called Mitochondrial NRG that could be useful.

Even though this supplement contains some Coenzyme Q-10, you could still add extra to support his heart.

For Co Q-10, use a soluble and well-absorbed form such as the DFH Q-Evail:

In addition, nows a great time to support his microbiome by starting to rotate probiotics like MoringaPet Balance, Rx Biotic, Proviable, etc.

Regarding his diet, you might want to focus on his vitality by mixing in ~25% of fresh foods with the diet you're using.

The fresh chicken hearts and other organs and glands would be good to introduce into his diet.

If he can't tolerate more fresh food then the Pet's Friend Rena-GO is a wonderful mix of heart, kidney and liver that is palatable and usually well tolerated:

IMHO, everything you do going forward would ideally focus on building and preserving his vitality and cellular energy.

I'll look forward to hearing how Peanut is doing over the coming months and years.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom