• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Banjo Cruciate Ligament

JennieC

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello
Thank you for the opportunity of being able to be here in the group again this month! It is so appreciated.
Banjo my almost 7 year old Corgi/Red Heeler mix just had Cruciate repair surgery on left leg. It has been about a month and a half and seems to be getting better slowly. However, right before his surgery he njured the right leg as well and vet said she thought it was the same thing , Cruciate ligament injury. She is recommending surgery for that which I am choosing to attempt to opt out of and help Banjo heal with management and rest etc. I am in a Fb group that has many healing stories for their animals and they are using supplements and a couple different therapies, one being a leg brace. (Which are very very expensive)
We are working with Dr Herman and she has Banjo taking ruta grav 10m a full dropper 2 times a day. I have had to cut back in this because while it gives him a ton of energy, he was becoming extremely constipated, would vomit in the early mornings and occasionally he did in the afternoons as well. The constipation was very bad, dark tiny pellets is all he could get out upon alot
Of straining .
His BEAM is not the normal . His behavior is the same, although he has become fearfuk
Of things he wasn’t afraid of before . His energy is low as he is very lame and just lays around a lot which was not who he was before, his appetite is good , and his mood is the same as usual , he is usually happy but as always barks at every person that comes to the door or every person or animal he sees while out. He has been aggressive.
Banjo is on raw turkey and beef in the mornings, the then has some fruits and vegetables through the afternoon and then raw bone in the evening along with the rest of the meat that he is allowed as he does a overweight so on a diet. I mix his meat with finely chopped celery as it seemed to help the constipation a tiny bit but not for
Long. I give him a pinch of barley grass juice powder and also salmon oil and a small amount of primal raw goats milk.
my questions are
Have you seen improvements with leg braces to help the dogs heal from this? Examples from the group were Posh and OrthoPet. They are very expensive and I do not know if it would be worth getting , but have seen hopeful stories.
also, I do not have him on a glucosamine msm joint support supplement if there are any recommendations? And finally , I have tested many days to see if it was the ruta grav that was causing the issues he was having and indeed it was. Is this normal for a remedy to cause this?
I have him in 2 drops now which helps, however the severe constipation and vomiting did not seem to have a benefit for him, but helped him in other ways.
thanks so much for your time.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Jennie, and for anyone working with a veterinary homeopath, when there are any changes in symptoms (the new constipation and vomiting), you must contact the prescribing homeopath. It could indicate a new and related medicine is needed, or a break from the current one, or a different potency or frequency or administration method.

Dr. Herman can get you on the right track.

Anytime any treatments cause concerning symptoms, especially BEAM ones, stop that treatment until you have a consult.

And, yes, I have seen many cruciate problems recover with homeopathic treatment.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Jennie-

Thanks for joining us again this month Jennie. I'm sorry to hear that Banjo is having knee/cruciate problems.

I love the synchronicity of your message! I was speaking with Dr. Herman about when you were writing about her...

I concur 100% with Dr. Christina. Here are some other thoughts:

Have you seen improvements with leg braces to help the dogs heal from this? Examples from the group were Posh and OrthoPet. They are very expensive and I do not know if it would be worth getting , but have seen hopeful stories.
also, I do not have him on a glucosamine msm joint support supplement if there are any recommendations? And finally , I have tested many days to see if it was the ruta grav that was causing the issues he was having and indeed it was. Is this normal for a remedy to cause this?
I have him in 2 drops now which helps, however the severe constipation and vomiting did not seem to have a benefit for him, but helped him in other ways.

1. Yes, braces can be very effective if they are fitted well if Banjo will tolerate and use one. Yes, the better ones are expensive and you may want to work with someone like Dr. Torraca (a doctor of PT for dogs at Wizard of Paws) or Gail Henderson ( a local person who does PT for dogs) if you decide to have him fit for one.

Dr. Toraca has shared a few wonderful webinars with us in the past few years, and has discussed knee rehab., braces, etc. You can find these by searching in your member area. If you have any problems finding them just email support@holistic actions and @aruna or MacKenzie will help you.

2. How much MSM are you giving? I ask because some of the glucosamine products contain high levels which can be problematic for finding and monitoring homeopathic medicines.

Maybe discuss finding a new remedy for Banjo and weaning the MSM.

Good luck!

JennieC

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello again and thank you for the replies.
Yes Dr Herman is aware of the issue with the ruta grav. I told her I was giving him a smaller amount now which was still helping with the walking some and the constipation and vomiting weren’t happening like it was before. I am to talk to her tomorrow. I didn’t know if there was any thing else I could do for pain to help him out in the meantime.
I do Not have him on glucosamine and MSM yet but was looking for options ,, and just saw dr Herman had sent me a joint support option and would like to have a few options as well if possible?
Our vet here that Banjo sees is also a chiropractic vet and does PT but, for some reason she did not want to do any PT with him. We do have him doing some laser treatments when we can.
I will look at the info on the braces and what was listed above.. thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Jennie.

Feel free to ask anything else about Banjo.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
A brace can certainly aid with pain and make normal movement possible, and this should make him happier and more proactive - in other words, the body will want to heal more. A liquid hyaluronic acid like Trixsyn or JointFlex would be an excellent supplement for the ligament. When you have time, a check of his thyroid levels may be in order; there is an association between brittle ligaments and low thyroid - and both seem to be linked to rabies vaccine damage, too. Homeopathic care for his total presentation would be great!

JennieC

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you Ginny.
Ok I will check on those two supplements. Thank you for that. He has had thyroid levels checked.. they were on the lower end,, but not out of range and Dr Herman said that was fine. I do hope a brace will make him happier. It’s so sad to see him appear unhappy and bored. I’ve had a few people say that a brace for his short corgi legs are not a good idea,, So of
Course , that makes me doubt my decision.
thanks so much.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
How about checking with a dog PT expert about their experience with braces in Corgis?

Try emailing Dr. Deb and see what she says (tell her that you work with HA!):

JennieC

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you for sending the info on Deb. I contacted her and she gave good suggestions. We are looking into an Assisi loop and she also recommended some supplements. She said usually she does not brace but if so, recommended one to look into.

Banjo is straining some when he goes to the bathroom. There is really no other changes with him , BEAM is good. I’m wondering if there is a food I could add in to help that out ,, he does get cooked carrots, zucchini and a variety of veggies and then gets celery and wild blueberries, small amounts of goats milk and wild salmon oil. Also on raw turkey still mixed with some primal raw beef.
Are dogs able to have a little magnesium? Thank you.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Collagen powder will loosen stools, and/but its primary function would be to enhance the healing of the cartilage. A twofer! and a mild adjunct that helps every tissue in the body.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom