• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Adequan making dog nauseated

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I posted about my dog JJ a while ago about his experience with adequan. He did complete the series of shots. But now, I am posting about my dog 14 y/o Shar Pei mix , GABBY, who has the Protein Losing Enteropathy. She has been doing wonderfully, no vomiting or diarrhea for well over a month. No indications of any upset stomach regurgitation. Her recent blood results are attached. Her albumin still low but other things improved greatly in 2 months, including her total protein and her folate and cobalamin are also normal now. So I started her on adequan yesterday and today she is nauseated, eating grass and licking her lips. I did read that pain at injection site was the main side effect but upset stomach was the second most reported side effect. HERE IS MY QUESTION: Should I leave well enough alone. I DO NOT WANT TO MESS WITH HER GREAT PROGRESS WITH HER PROTEIN LOSING ENTEROPATHY. Her level of inflammation on the VDI lab test went normal too. I do not want her to regress with adequan injections. She will walk an hour a day or more and runs around but she occasionallly limps on her front legs. Maybe risk versus benefit is not worth it if it compromises her gut healing progress. Any opinions or thoughts? I want her appetite to remain stable without interruption. I feel it is critical to her major condition.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wow, Lil!

Fantastic to hear that Gabby is doing so much better both clinically and biochemically (except for her renal values).

I agree with you about not messing with success. Have you asked a vet at Synergy Vet Care?

Also, considering how great her results look, including her urinalysis, perhaps repeat a renal profile in the next few weeks.

Has she been drinking more recently?

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
There is always the option of oral supplements; Trixsyn and JointFlex do the same thing as Adequan, and seem well-tolerated.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Yeah... was giving her the Trixsyn for a couple months along with my JJ with the spondylosis.She did do fine with it... There must be something with the Adequan... Am getting more concerned. She ate her first meal and did go for a walk but no interest in dinner or bone broth. I can tell her stomach is upset. I could kick myself...she was doing great with her issues after a lot of hard work for a couple months with her PLE. I hope she will get increasingly better. She is always interested in food and a happy girl but not today...burps, licking. Just hope I don't wake up to a pukey mess anywhere. Will call vet tomorrow and report and tell him no more. I shouldn't mess with her gut at all with anything new till she has more stability behind her. So mad at myself!!!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Oh, don't be mad at yourself Lil.

You're doing an awe-some job of monitoring your pup's health and adjusting their treatments and lifestyle based on BEAM and other symptoms (like nausea).

Fasting is often the best bet whenever there's any GI symptom. This is the fastest and effective way to support her healing.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Dr. Jeff, you answered the question I had this evening...wondering if I should offer her a little something before bed. Just hope she doesn't get the bilious vomiting in the morning. It hurts my heart to see what my decision did to her. I had her to the point of improved blood work, no vomiting or regurg or diarrhea for over a month. Her BEAM is always so good. Thanks for your input. It answered what I needed to know!

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Dr. Jeff... ha ha... my holistic vet admittedly does not like to work. I emailed her about JJ's nodule with some questions and about Gabby's situation and no response. I thought I also read that if a dog has renal or liver problems Adequan might not be advisable. Gabby had some questionable kidney values. I did show the conventional vet the lab results and asked if it was safe to give Gabby the Adequan and he did not seem to have a problem with it. I have been questioning the renal values like the SDMA that went up 3 points since Feb and am told not to worry about anything... (that is what every single vet told me when I was screaming for months when Gabby's Albumin was trending down down down last year with every blood test and nobody thought it was a problem until it dipped to below 2, not even the holistic vet listened to me!) Anyway so a few weeks ago I brought in a urine sample to do the UPCR test and they could not run it because of some wbc count that was outside the range. I don't completely understand why they couldn't run it, just something about the wbc. Maybe I will take Gabby to the conventional vet to do the bloodwork. The holistic vet spent about 20 min trying to get blood from Gabby's neck and nothing came out. The conventional vet never had a problem in all the years.. Gabby has not increased her drinking in the past few months. She goes to the water bowl but does not seem to drink more than what she should.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom