• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Constipated Cat

LaurenHW

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Romeo
8 Yr old neutered Male

Romeo was thrown off schedule on Thanksgiving...windy outside, guests and we forgot to feed dinner in all the mayhem, so he ate dinner late. He hates company and stayed out of sight most of the evening except to come ask for dinner when we were eating. Incidentally, I was up last night vomiting. Romeo tends to worry when I get sick.

He did not Poop yesterday and has not yet today. He has never gone a day without eliminating so this is highly unusual!

He's been rejecting most of his raw food(that he loves) the past 2 days. 2 days ago, when he refused all 4 foods I offered, he inhaled the reconstituted White Fish I offered. He did eat some cooked canned Rabbit Pate with Flaxseed and 1/2 oz, raw Venison today.I heard him drink water late last night and hand fed him 12 ml RO water this morning.

He looks like he has spiked fur along his entire spine. He's sleeping now. Went outside earlier until the wind kicked up and dashed inside the House. Poor Guy is so off balance. Been giving him 2 drops of Hope Farms Flow Free and a 2-4 drops Nordic Naturals Fish Oil, Animal Probiotics/Enzymes. We introduced Standard Process Immune Vitamins this week. Wondering if his system is just adjusting and or got thrown off?

He has been much more active the past week or 2 with Hunting and demanding to be outside. He ate long wild grass and 2 times he called to us from the Litter box and we had to manually pull out poop that was stuck in him. poor guy. He didn't cry and let us help him. Must be sore. Wondering if there is a problem due to this?

Would a pinch of Slippery Elm and or Kudzu help? He historically has responded well to these. Anything else I can do to help him? I have a huge Homeopathic Kit, but he is at the 3 week mark of taking Arsenicum 30c as per Dr. Cooney. He seems more energetic until the past few days and happier. He is in a good mood. Our house is quiet and just Romeo and I are home resting today.

Many Thanks @Dr. Jeff @Dr. Christina and sorry to bother on a Holiday weekend. We're so Grateful for this amazing community. Many Blessings and Thanks. Lauren

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Lauren-
Would a pinch of Slippery Elm and or Kudzu help?
Sure!
Anything else I can do to help him?
Yes! There's lots that you can do to help support his body while it re-balances after the Thanksgiving stress.

First though to add context, I wonder if Romeo has had any blood testing or been to your vet in the past few weeks or months?

In order to be maximally proactive, a vet exam and any indicated tests is a good idea.

Regardless of any vet visit though, one great way to support the energy flow and intercellular communication that lets his body heal optimally, is by using this flower essence:

The strategy that will help his energy flow and healing is to promote as much cellular joy as possible.

Try to get him purring as often as possible, lots of playing, loving intention massages, etc. all work well. The Happiness Protocol describes this strategy a bit:

I hope you have a wonderful weekend Lauren!

LaurenHW

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Hi Lauren! Here is everything I know about kitty constipation and ways to treat it; Constipated Cats | Little Big Cat
Many Thanks Dr Jean, very helpful article. I gave Slippery Elm and Coconut Oil before I read it, and he's pooping again. Appetite has increased too. I found a Mobile Holistic Vet to come do an exam, blood work and Acupuncture next week. After reading the Article went onto the article about stress and he is showing signs of stress...boo hoo. We have increased play and snuggle time, massage and energy work and freeze dried organ treats Change of Season into Winter seems to be really hard on Romeo.

LaurenHW

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Hi Lauren, just checking in, how's Romeo doing?
@Dr. Jean Hofve I deeply appreciate you checking in on Romeo. Our Vet has been silent! We are getting a new Mobile Holistic Vet who's coming tomorrow!
Romeo has been constipated on and off, sleeping more and the weather is colder and rainy.His BEAM is pretty good, but he is much more clingy and kneading on me daily(unusual) and suckling his blanket. His Appetite finally came back big time 2 days ago...YAY! Good sign. Still Spikey looking. Having smaller stools than usual. Added Kudzu and Slippery Elm and Pumpkin which seems to be helping. Could the Pumpkin be constipating him? 1/4 tsp per day and he is 10-11 pounds. Thanks.

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
That's not enough pumpkin to make a difference, really. See if you can sneak in as much extra fluid as possible--water, broth, etc.--in his food. (Too watery, though, and they won't eat it!) Then by the time it wends its way to the other end, it might retain a bit more moisture and be easier to deal with.

This really is one of the tougher problems we face with kitties. It's very common, though folks don't really want to talk about it!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes to extra water and pumpkin!

You might also want to consider using chia seed water to add to his food.

The formula I just used that worked well is 2 tbsp. ground (a coffee grinder does a great job) chia/cup of water soaked overnight. Both the water and chia will help.

LaurenHW

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
UPDATE ON ROMEO:
He’s been pooping every other day for a few months.
I hired Homeopathic Vet Todd Cooney who is so Kind and Brilliant! HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

Dr Todd gave Romeo Arsenicum and he went from pooping every 3 days to every 2. He was still spikey looking.

This week Romeo stopped eating, but was hungry…refusing all 4 foods he normally loves! 😭

I had an Anxiety attack in the middle of the night with worry of whats wrong and what can i do? So, I took some deep Breaths and tapped into my Intuition…asked Guides to help me. I got Nux Vomica. I waited till morning to talk with Dr Cooney.

So 2nd visit with Dr Todd this week…guess what he recommended? Nux Vomica!!!

I promptly gave Romeo the first dose of 1 Pellet 30c in filtered Water and he ate 1/2 bowl of raw food immediately! His Appetite has returned to normal after 2 doses!

Best news is that he Pooped 2 Days in a Row for the first time in 3 months or so!!! And he peed 3 times the 2nd Day! He usually only pees once a day.

We want his body, particularly his Kidneys, to detox! Its working!

His BEAM is way up! He is more energetic, playful, happy! He’s running and climbing up Trees!!! YAY!

Just wanted to ahare some great news and for everyone to know how powerful & effective the right Homeopathic Remedy can be!!! This is how Homeopathy works! I am so grateful!

FDA has been trying hard for years, and continue to try, and Ban Homeopathy in the US! Please go to Center for Homeopathy website and sign up to get Peritions to sign to keep Homeopathy legal!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yay!! 😻 :snowman:

Yes, Dr. Cooney is great!

LaurenHW

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Yes to extra water and pumpkin!

You might also want to consider using chia seed water to add to his food.

The formula I just used that worked well is 2 tbsp. ground (a coffee grinder does a great job) chia/cup of water soaked overnight. Both the water and chia will help.
@dr Jeff why Chia and not Flax? I love both. Chia does have less flavor. Does Chia pull water from Intestines? I imagine if I soak it like you said it won’t!?? Thx Just want to fully understand. And Romeo tens towards dehydration, but has been better lately on all Raw food and no airdried!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great question Lauren!

The answer is that Gina Bria (who is founder of the Hydration Foundation) advises the chia + water method for making the super hydrating structured water using chia. Not flax.

A version of this (but with lemon water and other ingredients) is being called the "internal shower" by the mainstream media and internet.

All you need is the water from the soaked chia.

LaurenHW

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Great question Lauren!

The answer is that Gina Bria (who is founder of the Hydration Foundation) advises the chia + water method for making the super hydrating structured water using chia. Not flax.

A version of this (but with lemon water and other ingredients) is being called the "internal shower" by the mainstream media and internet.

@drjeff cool! I add them to my smoothies! I’ll give it a try if needed. thx

LaurenHW

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Great question Lauren!

@drjeff cool! I add them to my smoothies! I’ll give it a try if needed. thx

LaurenHW

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Ok I have a confession! I blew it…I didn’t keep close enough track of how many days i gave Romeo Nix Vomica and gave it 5 instead of 3!
He was great after first 2-3 days and then felt & looked terrible day 5! Bad Mommy! ugh

So he got nauseous and stopped eating! I gave 1 dose Arsenicum 1m amd he’s feeling better today.

I just wanted to share that there is too much of a good thing…so more or longer isn’t better woth Homeopathy!

@drchristina @Dr. Christina @Dr. Jeff
Please share any knowledge about dosing and antidoting. Can I give Nux Vomica again if Romeo gets worse?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Can I give Nux Vomica again if Romeo gets worse?
I'd say yes (and to succuss before each redose) and that you may want to ask Dr. Todd.

LaurenHW

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Great Dr Jeff, thank you! Romeo is feeling & looking better after the Arsenicum 1M.

LaurenHW

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Update! This has been a long road and I’m so grateful foe all the support!
Romeo went from pooping daily to only 2x a week after a pesticide exposure!
After hiring Homeopathic Vet Todd Cooney, Romeo started improving and after 4 Homeopaths Remdies, I am so please to report Romeo has been pooping daily again except 1 day a week the past 2 weeks!!!! I’m doing Cartwheels and Romeo is Hunting and running up Trees!
I feel thebonly 2 days in 2 weeks he didn’t poop was it Snowed here which is rare except this Historical year, and he HATES being stuck in the House especially for days and weeks on end!
In looking through My Notes in Dr Christinas Pet Journal, I noticed we had given the 4th Homeopathic Remedy, Sulphur, 2 other times & had forgotten!!! So the Journal is so helpful in many ways! Also Dr Cooney had me only give one dose of 30c Sulphur the third time, with other remedies in between, and that did the trick of eliminating the Constipation!!! Wow!

Lessons I learned:
Get a good Homeopathic Vet(Worth weight in Gold)
Have Hope
Be Patient
Follow directions
Journal and track symptoms, BEAM, diet and Supplements/Remedies!
Lots of Love, Kindness and
Compassion with Pet made a difference

I hope this helps encourage all of you! There are solutions and its often multi-pronged approach…Holistic means Body, Mind & Spirit and treating the Whole not just the parts and symptoms!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom