• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

My dog won't stop barking. Help!!

Betty

All-Access Member
Registered
My shih tzu ( 19 months old, male, not neutered) definitely has a hyper arousal problem. Constant barking at everything. We can't watch tv without him barking constantly at everything, not just animals which are in every commercial so I can't avoid. He's had 2 trainers and Training doesn't work and neither do his calming supplements. When he has taken a remedy like arsenicum, it just makes it worse though I haven't tried it in a while. He has a licky mat, snuffle mat, essential oils,etc. I am hoping someone has a suggestion or I may need to rehome him.
Thanks, Betty

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I am hoping someone has a suggestion or I may need to rehome him.
Yes!

A different remedy, a different CBD prep, increased activity, more nosework/snuffle mat, diversions like a PupStation (when it is available), Flow Free flower essence, a session with an animal communicator, as much outdoor time as possible, etc.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi again Betty.

Here are Irith Bloom's thoughts about Louie's behavior issue:

1. Use white noise to reduce the salience of outside sounds.
2. Consider a calming cap or position the dog out of sight of the TV (e.g. in a dog bed with no direct view) for TV viewing.
3. Do conditioned relaxation work with the dog.

With that said, I wonder what training was done. Some methods can make barking worse. “Two trainers” does not necessarily mean two well-qualified trainers, alas.

More about Irith:

Betty

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi again Betty.

Here are Irith Bloom's thoughts about Louie's behavior issue:

1. Use white noise to reduce the salience of outside sounds.
2. Consider a calming cap or position the dog out of sight of the TV (e.g. in a dog bed with no direct view) for TV viewing.
3. Do conditioned relaxation work with the dog.

With that said, I wonder what training was done. Some methods can make barking worse. “Two trainers” does not necessarily mean two well-qualified trainers, alas.

More about Irith:

Thanks for your thoughts Dr. Jeff. The barking has been non stop all day long some days and Louis will not pay attention to me when I ask him to. He does get outdoor time and that doesn't seem to help anymore. He has a hard time settling down when he gets in the barking mode. He has also started nipping at some guests pants when they leave. Not sure what that means.

We use "dog spa music" to help offset any noises. He gets long walks outdoors with plenty of sniffing. Too many treats cause digestive issues so I need to be careful with snuffle mats.

I checked out Irith website and the cost is not doable for me. Sarah says pets may be an option. What are your thoughts about her?
Do you still recommend Ellevet for cbd? If so, I will order some right away. I will also try the flower essence you suggested. It would be wonderful if there is a remedy that could help. I am sure Louis is not happy when he is yapping uncontrollably. I will set up an appointment with you so we can discuss this.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Do you still recommend Ellevet for cbd?
Yes I love Ellevet's quality and their mission.

However, it's still important to evaluate after using it and trying another brand if one kind of CBD (or any supplement) is not working.

For example, here's another great company (which also has a discount code for members):

Have you used a CBD for him before?

One other suggestion is an animal communicator who may also have some insights for you.

Betty

All-Access Member
Registered
Louis was using suzy's cbd, but I didn't find it that helpful. I will try another brand that you suggested.

I'll look into the animal communicator and we can discuss later this week.

I also am trying elemental solutions chill out which is a herbal treatment for dogs. You sprinkle the herbs on the food or make a tea from it.

I appreciate all of your suggestions.
Betty

However, it's still important to evaluate after using it and trying another brand if one kind of CBD (or any supplement) is not working.

For example, here's another great company (which also has a discount code for members):

One other suggestion is an animal communicator who may also have some insights for you.

Last edited:

Irith

All-Access Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Have you had a thorough vet check to rule out pain or other medical issues?

If you need another animal communicator name, let me know. I have someone I can suggest, but since you already have two names from Dr. Jeff, you probably won't need anyone else.

Betty

All-Access Member
Registered

Have you had a thorough vet check to rule out pain or other medical issues?

If you need another animal communicator name, let me know. I have someone I can suggest, but since you already have two names from Dr. Jeff, you probably won't need anyone else.
Yes, he had a physical checkup a few months ago. So nothing there. Louis has been barking alot since early this year after he started to mature. He starts right after breakfast and goes from there. It's very difficult to live with.
He's in his comfy pen right now as that is the only way he can reboot his nervous system and wind down enough so he doesn't bark for a little while. Please do send another name so I can see who would be the best fit for us.
Thank you, Betty

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks so much for your forum post Irith! ? ? ?
If you need another animal communicator name, let me know. I have someone I can suggest
I would also love the name of the person with whom you work.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom