• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Separation anxiety for almost three years

JulieAr

Community Member
Registered
Sorry for the very long post! We have an almost 3 year old goldendoodle. he is a great dog with no apparent anxieties except for one big one-separation anxiety. He is not even hyper attached to us. He is not destructive and he doesn't pee or poop, but he howls and barks a lot. We have been working on this for almost his whole life now. We have used Julie Naismith's SA protocol, we have hired 3 different trainers, we have tried every calming supplement that is out there, and we even resorted to meds for awhile. When we first started we got him to the point where he was relaxed enough to sleep, but when he woke he was always in a panic. Then we let him bark a bit after he woke up because it seemed like they were mostly protest barks. Then it progressed to howling. Now, we seem to be back to the beginning. He won't relax enough to sleep, and he can barely be left alone for 15 minutes. He is off the meds because we could never tell if they were helping or not. Dr. Jeff suggests to just let him bark and howl, but I know that he won't stop and if we really want to have any kind of life is it really okay for him to be barking and howling for 2-3 hours? Part of me wants to go back to the start and try the very very slow desensitization again, but my husband is against this. He says we already went back to the beginning several times and it hasn't helped. The other last suggestion from his "regular" vet was to try him on a dose of trazadone before leaving. I am at my wits end, and I have been really struggling emotionally with this for a long time.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Julie, you certainly have had a big challenge and it can be very frustrating. I searched and saw you also have been dealing with ear problems and tearing up toys (ending in a surgery), so that is a lot in 3 years.

Some animals and people have no problems, some have several that respond quickly, and these days most have problems that seem to take a long time and need many different treatments to resolve. I agree with you not just to let him howl. This is a more deeply seated energy imbalance that needs to be resolved with homeopathy or Chinese medicine.

Earlier I suggested this: Maybe read this article and find someone surprising locally to you, or begin again to work with regular appointments with Dr. Jeff or other virtual veterinary homeopaths.

Especially because there are multiple issues, it is important to focus on balancing the vital force so all the problems resolve permanently. That is best done with homeopathy or very good Chinese medicine. sometimes training is enough. Clearly for Kobi there is an underlying energy imbalance that is causing the training to not work.

While for some dogs the calming essences are enough, they are very gentle and if there is a major imbalance, they may not be strong enough. You are not alone in this challenge. The world is in a constant state of unrest. It’s no wonder anxiety and stress are increasing at alarming rates.

As Dr. Jeff has discussed with you in appointments and on the forum, your thoughts make a big difference. Many of our speakers have discussed that as well. Have you I would suggest you and your husband listened and read the anxiety toolkit?
There are at least 8 webinars you can listen to with different approaches you can use at home. In addition, there are webinars done this year that have not been added: All of March 2023 apply to your state of mind and techniques you can use; April 10 & 17 (17th was Irith Bloom (www.thesophisticateddog.com) who is a great trainer); August 2023 was reactive pets and you may want to do consults with Dr. Ed after listening to the Aug 14 interview about his work (www.WholeEnergyBodyBalance).

This may seem like way too much work. Listening to these webinars may give you hope, have you see that others are facing the same challenges, and help get you and your husband on the same page. And if you need to try a drug temporarily to give you relief, do it.

The critical step to resolve this issue permanently is to start as soon as possible with a homeopathic or chinese medicine vet.

hang in there
Dr. Christina

Last edited:

JulieAr

Community Member
Registered
I would be happy to work with Dr. Jeff if I thought that truly he could help with this issue. From what I've read (and I've read a lot!!!!) about separation anxiety this will not be "cured" with homeopathy. I don't have the energy (and money) to go through another long process and not get any results. We have spent so much on trainers, natural remedies, subscribing to Julie Naismith's program, and on dog sitters that I hesitate to do another program that in my gut I know won't bring results. Dr. Jeff is the only one I would trust to help us and he suggested to just let him bark and howl and ignore it.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
I do understand your frustration with time and money concerns. This is similar to parents with children on the spectrum or just with behavior problems. It can be very challenging.

"he suggested to just let him bark and howl and ignore it." He may not have fully read or realized the severity of the barking. Maybe send him a private message (envelope on the icon bar on Left top) asking if he thinks he could resolve the anxiety & ears with homeopathy, letting him know that letting him howl is not an option.

It is important to trust your gut. I did give you a lot of other options, so maybe you could check out each of them and see if your gut guides you to one of them. Dr. Ed's talk gave examples of severe behavior problems he resolved with the WEBB program.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Julie!

I just reviewed Koji's homeopathy records from 2021. I was super surprised to see that we only worked together on his "SA" for a few months with one dose of Puls 200c.

In the intervening years, have you used other homeopathic remedies?

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
this is a great example of the need to keep track of symptoms and treatments. Sometimes one dose will completely cure an animal and all symptoms will resolve, but that is rare. usually regular appointments are needed to continually evaluate the totality of symptoms to determine what next treatment is needed.

For everyone, be sure to always have a follow up appointment scheduled for chiro, TCVM, homeopathy, osteopathy, etc. It is most important to do a final one once you think your animal is cured. Set up a plan then for what needs to happen next - "If this happens - wait a few days, then call", for example.

We have to keep pushing the vital force to stay balanced.

Dr. Christina

JulieAr

Community Member
Registered
Hey Julie!

I just reviewed Koji's homeopathy records from 2021. I was super surprised to see that we only worked together on his "SA" for a few months with one dose of Puls 200c.

In the intervening years, have you used other homeopathic remedies?
It was very difficult to get in touch with you after that appointment. I hadn't joined the holistic actions at that point. Do you really think homeopathy can cure SA?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great question Julie!

Here's what I know (IMHO):

SA, like other emotional/behavioral and physical symptoms, is from an obstacle to smooth flow of energy and information in the body.

Once that flow is smooth again, then the SA (and most other symptoms) will resolve.

That's what homeopathy does (helps smooth the flow and restore balance).

However natural restoration of function follows the (sometimes) slow timeline of nature.

Patience and perseverance to this path is an important part of successful resolution.

JulieAr

Community Member
Registered
Can you tell me how this works now that it is through the holistic actions? You make an appt and then what is the follow up like? How do I let you know an update and do I have to pay for the updates after the original long appt?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Sure, thanks for asking Julie.

The main difference is that we can use the forum for the best communication 7 days a week and you can schedule 1/2 price 15 minute Holistic Medical Decision Making guidance calls in between the usual 30 minute full virtual updates.

Oh, and of course that you have live access to multiple vets during the Monday Empower Hour! webinars, and unlimited access to your member resource area videos, audio, articles, etc.

JulieAr

Community Member
Registered
So if I pay for the initial consultation then you would follow up on the forum after I updated you?

HA! Support

Administrator
VIP Member
Registered
Hi Julie.
The best (initial) course of action is to take advantage of the half-price, 15-minute monthly HMDM (Holistic Medical Decision Making Calls). As a Community member, these are $30 rather than the regular cost of $60 and they are a synergistic complement to the balance of the HA! resources, including the Forum.

There's always the option to schedule a more in-depth and longer appointment with Dr. Jeff, but I suggest that you take advantage of the $30 call first, as our members often find that those are sufficient. If you and Dr. Jeff decide you need more, I can assist you with that. You can reach me at support@holisticactions.com

You can also reach out to me there if you need assistance navigating our resources about anxiety, and a myriad of other topics.

Best!

Kim

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes! Thanks Kim.

I agree that these are a useful addition to the 30 minute homeopathic individualization calls.

JulieAr

Community Member
Registered
I still have questions:

1. Would my dog (Koji) need a full hour if I decide to go with Dr. Jeff privately to help address the recurrent ear problems and his separation anxiety? I did pay for and speak with Dr. Jeff about his SA (separation anxiety) a long time ago.
2. After that initial appointment be it a half hour or a full hour and I get a remedy to begin working on these things do I update Jeff through the holistic forum group which would be no additional cost? And at that time would I get advice about what to do next?
3. If nothing has helped Koji with the initial remedy then what happens? I need to be able to plan for the amount of money I would be spending. I don't have an unlimited amount of resources.
Thanks much,
Julie

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom