• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Colostrum

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi All - does anyone add colostrum to their pup's food? I'm looking for recommendation. :) Thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great question Christine, and I wonder as well.

What's your goal with adding a new supplement? Treating a specific symptom, health maintenance...?

Is she already getting outside to engage with her environment, sniffing the ground (a huge source of balancing bacteria), going new and fun places?

Is her diet optimized with as much fresh and "clean" raw meats, organs, glands, etc?

Is she already getting "structured" (gel) water to help her body work better?

I ask these questions because all of these things are even more important for her vitality and balance than any supplement could be.

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
I start kittens (or puppies) on colostrum asap. With orphans I mix it in the milk replacer, then with wet or raw food as they transition. I think of it mainly as immune support in adults. I know it does a lot more than that, but I just haven't used it a ton.

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Great question Christine, and I wonder as well.

What's your goal with adding a new supplement? Treating a specific symptom, health maintenance...?

Is she already getting outside to engage with her environment, sniffing the ground (a huge source of balancing bacteria), going new and fun places?

Is her diet optimized with as much fresh and "clean" raw meats, organs, glands, etc?

Is she already getting "structured" (gel) water to help her body work better?

I ask these questions because all of these things are even more important for her vitality and balance than any supplement could be.
Thanks, Dr. J - Hope's been having on and off soft stool. Yes to all you asked above :) She gets about one hour outdoor fresh air including sniff walk and stroller ride. She is in raw food diet. As for structured water (very interesting!) she gets bone broth every day...with all these in place already, do you think adding colostrum would be a good idea to help with her chronic GI issues?

Her BEAM is good :)

Last edited:

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
I start kittens (or puppies) on colostrum asap. With orphans I mix it in the milk replacer, then with wet or raw food as they transition. I think of it mainly as immune support in adults. I know it does a lot more than that, but I just haven't used it a ton.
Thank you, Dr. Jean - what kind of colostrum do you use?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Thank you, Dr. Jean - what kind of colostrum do you use?
The one Dr. Steve Blake uses... " Imutek Bovine Colostrum is an antibiotic hormone free grass fed source of powdered colostrum that is my NUMBER #1 choice of immune and GI support."

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wonderful to know that Dr. Jean. Thanks!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom