• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Whippet Back Pain & Loose Stools

AshleyS

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi again,
So Boo (5 year old whippet) has shown a big improvement in her symptoms since we started at Holistic Actions in July. However the last few days I've noticed changes in her Beam....back pain has flared up (although no change in exercise) and stools are very loose. I gave her 2 doses of nux vomica 3 days ago but haven't noticed an obvious change in her stools since. Having paid more close attention to her symptoms since July it seems that the loose stools and back pain are probably linked. My question is do I try and alleviate the back pain to help her digestion or vice verse? She's on turmeric supplements for her back but wondering whether to go ahead and purchase the equivalent of the Assisi loop (UK) for that. I've also done a few sessions of reiki but she seems very sensitive to it and will often whine as I start (I ask permission but try to read her cues). Any other ideas for her stomach? I've tried tree bark powder but that seemed to make her digestion worse instead of better. She's still on her raw food and eating fine, just seems uncomfortable digesting, flatulence etc and probable reflux. She's very stiff with her back and not as mobile as she has been in recent weeks.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Ashley-

Great news that Boo is better overall in just 1 month!

I don't know of a research proven PEMF tool for dogs like Assisi that is available in the UK. Have you called them to see if they ship?

Also, @EdwinA may know of a UK source as he is a wealth of info and is also in UK.

@GinnyW loves her Earthpulse PEMF which is available worldwide. It is not specifically for animals, but can work well.

Great observation about her diarrhea and back pain being related! Yes, the Nux could address them both, but you may need to wait longer depending on the potency you used.

There are also some awe-some vet homeopaths focusing on the microbiome and raw food in the UK. You may want to start working with one (if you want a local vet).

Dr. Nick Thompson's office may be of assistance:

Many vet homeopaths will also work remotely and with the raw food diet. If that interests you, try @dr_ judy herman's office:

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Did no one say "chiropractic"? Yes, back subluxations have an effect on the gut. Turmeric may help with inflammation, but she needs to be put into good alignment before any anti-inflammatory can help.

AshleyS

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks
Hey Ashley-

Great news that Boo is better overall in just 1 month!

I don't know of a research proven PEMF tool for dogs like Assisi that is available in the UK. Have you called them to see if they ship?

Also, @EdwinA may know of a UK source as he is a wealth of info and is also in UK.

@GinnyW loves her Earthpulse PEMF which is available worldwide. It is not specifically for animals, but can work well.

Great observation about her diarrhea and back pain being related! Yes, the Nux could address them both, but you may need to wait longer depending on the potency you used.

There are also some awe-some vet homeopaths focusing on the microbiome and raw food in the UK. You may want to start working with one (if you want a local vet).

Dr. Nick Thompson's office may be of assistance:

Many vet homeopaths will also work remotely and with the raw food diet. If that interests you, try @dr_ judy herman's office:

Thanks Dr Jeff, Earthpulse looks like our best bet at the moment and seems to have good reviews for pets. Boo was actually sick last night and we found a plum stone and scraps of blanket she must have been chewing off so that must have been affecting her stomach quite a lot! She does seem more comfortable with her stomach now, the nux vom probably helped to clear things along too. We're still waiting till next month for our homeopathic vet appointment, the only one available unfortunately but I know she also advocates for raw food so should be able to help us diet wise.

AshleyS

All-Access Member
Registered
Did no one say "chiropractic"? Yes, back subluxations have an effect on the gut. Turmeric may help with inflammation, but she needs to be put into good alignment before any anti-inflammatory can help.
Thanks Ginny, that hasn't been mentioned before. Our regular vet has said she has calcification along the mid section of her spine so would chiropractic treatment be suitable for this? Her vertebrae stick up more in that section but I wasn't sure if there was much that would remedy the calcification?

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
I feel there's a good shot at loosening up any deposits with appropriate gentle manipulation. - I can speak to this personally, as I saw deposits in my lumbar spine gradually dissolve over years of weekly chiro - Perhaps someone else can speak to the value of acupuncture here as well; I would entertain that, too. Also, "sticking up" could be either a vertebra out of place or the spinal processes just being so prominent as to cause notice. A radiograph would show any true subluxations, and yes, they can be corrected. Dogs have really prominent processes on the last thoracic and first few lumbar vertebrae - good anchors for hind end muscles:)

I'd also recommend some massage techniques on her spine such as T-Touch or similar, or acupressure on spinal points and those governing digestion. A great reference book is Cheryl Schwartz' Four Paws Five Directions - all sorts of info on how to let the body be its best. In the meantime, do some simple "stretchy" moves: on her belly or side, put a hand on her upper spine and the other on her pelvis, and apply gentle traction for a few seconds. You can also gently extend her legs. Or hold her knees and apply traction to the spine by gently pulling them straight back. This all counts as Happiness Protocol, no? She should enjoy it....

AshleyS

All-Access Member
Registered
I feel there's a good shot at loosening up any deposits with appropriate gentle manipulation. - I can speak to this personally, as I saw deposits in my lumbar spine gradually dissolve over years of weekly chiro - Perhaps someone else can speak to the value of acupuncture here as well; I would entertain that, too. Also, "sticking up" could be either a vertebra out of place or the spinal processes just being so prominent as to cause notice. A radiograph would show any true subluxations, and yes, they can be corrected. Dogs have really prominent processes on the last thoracic and first few lumbar vertebrae - good anchors for hind end muscles:)

I'd also recommend some massage techniques on her spine such as T-Touch or similar, or acupressure on spinal points and those governing digestion. A great reference book is Cheryl Schwartz' Four Paws Five Directions - all sorts of info on how to let the body be its best. In the meantime, do some simple "stretchy" moves: on her belly or side, put a hand on her upper spine and the other on her pelvis, and apply gentle traction for a few seconds. You can also gently extend her legs. Or hold her knees and apply traction to the spine by gently pulling them straight back. This all counts as Happiness Protocol, no? She should enjoy it....
That's really interesting, thanks for that. The holistic vet we're waiting to see does acupuncture so that's definitely something I can discuss with her. Boo has some 'lumpy tissue' (up to an inch long and not particularly hard or round so the vet ruled out growths) either side the more prominent middle vertebrae which seems to be more sensitive than other areas. Different lumps have appeared over the last year or 2. The regular vet seemed to not think they were related to her back pain at all but I wondered if this was some type of inflammation? Anyway, the t-touch or acupressure seems like a good call and something I can do straight away, thanks for the suggestions :)

AshleyS

All-Access Member
Registered
Just an update, Boo didn't eat any of her raw meat yesterday which is really unlike her. She did eat some of a mashed banana in the afternoon but that was it. She's not eaten any breakfast today (even with me trying to hand feed) and after a 10 minute play this morning seems to be more lethargic and feeling quite sorry for herself. I can hear her tummy gurgling every so often and she's having really smelly flatulence. Her poo from yesterday is quite small and dark...not sure if that's significant? (attached pics) I'm a bit stumped as to what to try...would a nux vom be a good idea? The only time she's been off her food before is when she's been really ill so I'm feeling a bit panicked.

IMG_0725.JPG

IMG_0726.JPG

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
I hope you're just watching and waiting, because it's just what I wanted to say all day. This is, I think, a perfectly acceptable stool considering what's going on. I wouldn't be in a hurry to give a remedy based on these symptoms, but, heck, I'm not the homeopath. I'd let this play out a bit, offer food but not bend over backwards trying to get her to eat. Water, broth if available, meat juice...but don't agonize over it. See if you can get her to indulge in some favorite things: ride, sniff, swim, play - and a nice belly rub to encourage motility. Keep us posted!

AshleyS

All-Access Member
Registered
I hope you're just watching and waiting, because it's just what I wanted to say all day. This is, I think, a perfectly acceptable stool considering what's going on. I wouldn't be in a hurry to give a remedy based on these symptoms, but, heck, I'm not the homeopath. I'd let this play out a bit, offer food but not bend over backwards trying to get her to eat. Water, broth if available, meat juice...but don't agonize over it. See if you can get her to indulge in some favorite things: ride, sniff, swim, play - and a nice belly rub to encourage motility. Keep us posted!
Thankyou Ginny for the reassurance, I have. She seemed happy on a walk and ate half her dinner. She did react (go to nip) to my husband when he stroked her stomach last night so she's obviously feeling very sensitive in that area. We'll keep going with your suggestions and see how she does :)

AshleyS

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi just checking in with an update. Boo's doing much better the last few days. She's now back to more normal sized meals without the obvious discomfort/pain and seems to have more mobility in her back too. I've bought the 2 books you recommended Ginny so have been doing reiki and t-touch on alternate days which seems to be helping, she has whined when I've been working on her mid-spine on a couple of occasions so I'm trying to go slowly in that area and respond to her cues. I noticed her sleeping on her back (legs in the air!) for the first time in months the other evening so I think that's a good indication that she's feeling more comfortable.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Wow, that's great to hear! I'd just keep up with the massage, etc. Perhaps you could get her some chiropractic treatment at some point, too. All those muscles and points between the ribs and vertebrae have an effect on stomach motility and digestion - some more than others.
Here is a link to some massage and therapeutic touch techniques:

This wonderful vet takes good care of my dog and countless others.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom