• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Yowling and wailing

RichardG

Registered
Hi
This is my first post, so please excuse me if I've not followed the protocol correctly.
This is about Bear.
A male 21 month old Maine coon.
He's neutered.
He's recently been rehomed by me six weeks ago. And I'd just moved into a new home and was getting stuff moved in daily.

He's had recent diet change and will be changing again as he's stopped eating his current brand but is still eating chicken broth and treats.
His current diet last few days has been chicken broth with his untamed wet food on it (which he's now been leaving most of) with bonemeal probiotics and kale or kelp. He's not drinking much water.
He's had some issues urinating, he wasn't urinating well, but is currently urinating a good amount although it's in the bath, his stools seem ok again in the bath. The vet prescribed him cystaid and Loxicom. I've since stopped those treatments and he's responded well to CBD and kidney support from petwellness.
The vet said it's likely a kidney issue not bladder as his bladder was empty and he did a scan and said his bladder is fine.
He's also had some respiratory issues with his breathing a bit heavy and some sneezing, he's been on lung support from PW for this.
There's also digestive gurgling sounds from his gut in the last few days.
He started wailing a bit a few weeks back at night and meowing before he goes to the toilet.
Now he's wailing in the morning as well and evening. He's goes in the garden and wails, he stops when I come to him and sometimes wails inside. It sounds like he's in pain when he wails but he's still purring and playing like usual.
I've got a appointment with a holistic vet of 23/6/23 which is an outcall. Getting him to the vet is difficult and so would rather avoid another visit unless essential as he's been quite a bit lately.

Any idea on possible causes? I've also got to move house again on 28th June.

Thank you
Rich.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Rich!

Welcome to HA! Thanks so much for making your first post!! ? :snowman:?

I'm sorry for the challenges that you're having with Bear.:confused:

From where did you adopt him (e.g. a shelter, a private home)?

Do you know anything that you can share about his life and medical history prior to 6 weeks ago?

Have you tried feeding anything fresh other than the chicken broth? If you have, will he eat it?

You mentioned not drinking, so I wonder if he has been a big drinker?

Is the wailing at any specific times or associated with any specific triggers (like mealtime)?

Perhaps start right away with the Happiness Protocol and promoting playing and purring as the happiness and parasympathetic activity (from the purring will help activate his natural healing and, over time, improve the wailing).

It is also helpful to focus on (and visualize his being a super happy, frisky and hungry kitty.

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Hi Rich, welcome!

Your post was very thorough, thank you!

First thought is to stop the kelp. It's a good source of trace nutrients, but too high in iodine. If your cat was 21 *years* old, yowling is classic signs of hyperthyroidism. It's unheard of in cats less than 7 years old, but excess iodine is known to cause problems in people. So just for now, don't give it.

A "scan" of kidneys is not able to tell what is going on inside, that takes a biopsy (not necessary at this point!).

Good that you have a holistic vet appt coming up. This is a complex case despite his young age... but then again, his age means his vital force is most likely strong and will rebound when he's treated properly!

Meanwhile, I would start him on flower/vibrational essences. Take a look at Jackson Galaxy's Holistic Solutions and see which one you feel fits his personality and total symptom picture the best. https://shop.jacksongalaxy.com/collections/solutions?sort=best-selling

RichardG

Registered
Hi
Thank you both for your replies.
I adopted him from a private person, he had previously lived with two other Maine coon makes. I'm planning to get another MC male around sept/Oct.
I did order his medical history, but they've not sent it over yet.
Only the broth so far, purrform raw food is arriving today so will try mixing that with his tinned food.
Is the broth okay to feed him twice a day everyday?
He's been drinking enough I think, plus with the broth twice a day.
Wailing has been less frequent and the sound itself less intense recently. It's on the morning when he goes outside. And in the night around 10pm ish. And before he goes to the toilet (in the bathtub).

I'll stop the kelp then, have been giving him a lot of the supplements from Anitra Frazier's book as well as different herbs. Do you think this could be too much at once especially with a diet change coming my up?

Thanks I'll check out some Bach remedies, JG doesn't deliver to auK I don't think.

Thanks for your help
Richard.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom