• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

When to spay and neuter my female and male puppies

H

HelenV

My puppies are rescues and we are contractually obligated to spay and neuter them. We have the added complication that we definitely want to avoid an accidental pregnancy. Our contract states that they are to be spayed and neutered at 6 months of age, which is October 23. I have read all of the thread on the risks and benefits that Dr. Jeff provided. I am looking for some sound input to help make this decision. We can delay for maybe two months but I think that's as far as we can push it.

With Theo still recovering from the demodex mange, I'd prefer to delay her while I work on re-balancing her immunity and overall vitality. I also don't want her to go through her first estrus cycle either. I appreciate your perspectives and input. Thank you so much.IMG_0814.JPG

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
OMG, how beautiful/handsome they are!:)

He looks regal and she looks a bit mischievous!

Are they great fun and wonderful companions already?

IMHO the very best way to learn the real pros and cons and current science about neutering is from @Dr. Sara's great course about it that you'll find in your HA! resource center when you log in at the main site.

I agree 100% about waiting to subject Theo to any surgical stress.

No worries about waiting to spay her.

It's actually now known that waiting is healthier for her.

H

HelenV

Lol Dr Jeff you nailed it with both of them. Theo is our adorable, little, butt wagging mischief maker. She keeps her big brother in check. He is just the most affectionate, loving, sensitive creature I've ever met. I am honoured and humbled to be their human guardian in this world.

Thanks very much for pointing out Dr. Sara's course. I will absolutely take it and make my decision based on what I learn.

Again, I can't thank you enough for your prompt response. You radiate such goodness and non judgement. I am so happy that I found this forum :)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
?

H

HelenV

Dear Dr. Jeff,

Thank you so much for pointing me to that Spay/Neuter course. It was very helpful for us in making our decision. We live in Toronto, Ontario. There is breed-specific legislation in Ontario that prohibits anyone from owning a pit bull or any breed that closely resembles a pit bull. It is draconian and prejudicial but it is our reality.

Our beautiful Apollo is a majestic beast. He is indeed regal and has the gentlest, sweetest disposition. He also has incredible vitality and bounced back from the demodex mange quite quickly after a couple of doses of Silicea 200CH. To keep him safe from any outside influences around this breed-specific legislation, we believe that the best option is a complete neuter. HE has a homeopathic mom who will stop at nothing to get him to his optimum level of wellness and vitality.

As for our Theo-dorable, she is more delicate physically and is the smallest pup of the litter. Although she more than makes up for any size difference in her mighty attitude and spunky disposition. We have opted to go with the ovary-sparing sterilization for her.

If you have any additional feedback you think I'm not considering, please let me know. Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Helen and I'm so glad you watched @Dr. Sara 's wonderful course and made such fantastic decisions!:biggrin:

Please keep us updated on how your dynamic duo does with their neuterings and homeopathic care throughout their long lives.

H

HelenV

I will definitely keep you posted Dr. Jeff. I absolutely love this site. I'm so pleased that I came across it through one of my other favourite web sites, Dogs Naturally. I have many other homeopathic patients that I treat who would also be interested in this site. I will recommend it to them as well.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks so much Helen! ?

How did you find HA! through Dogs Naturally?

H

HelenV

Yes, I was reading a number of articles in Dogs Naturally magazine and came across your name. I liked what you had to say so I went to homevet.com, and came across Holistic Actions.

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
I am glad you found my course helpful, Helen. Your decisions are well thought out, and with you for his mum, I have confidence that Apollo will mange the full neuter just fine. Do try to wait until his growth plates have closed for joint health, though I am sure you have already considered that! Best regards,
Sara

H

HelenV

Thank you so much Dr. Sara. I appreciate the personalized comment. For Apollo, we will be neutering at 6 months since we are holding off on Theo's ovary-sparing spay until after 6 months. We can't afford an accidental pregnancy.

G

ginnyw

Is there a reason you would not consider alternative methods of prevention such as vasectomy and ovary sparing spay? These can be safely done at an earlier age, and will not compromise hormone function. Any decent vet would certify that the animals are now infertile, for licensing, etc.

H

HelenV

Is there a reason you would not consider alternative methods of prevention such as vasectomy and ovary sparing spay? These can be safely done at an earlier age, and will not compromise hormone function. Any decent vet would certify that the animals are now infertile, for licensing, etc.

H

HelenV

Hi Ginny, thanks for your interest. You'll see my reasons in the above thread. They are very well thought through. I appreciate your concern.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom