• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

What to do about symptoms of exuberant burping (exuburps) and reflux in a Border Collie

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Here's an interesting case and my reply to Cherie about her pup in 2013:

"My 14 month old Border Collie has had an on and off history of roundworms, SEVERE reflux esophagits, lots of gagging and regurgitation, low albumin and high neutrophils - finally blood work came back in ok range at age of 1 - and bad reactions to vaccines including HOD. I have gone the western vet route in ICU quite a few times times to save his life and get food into him, very alternative NAET and others approaches, tried Standard Process products - he couldn't tolerate them, medium alternative approaches with 2 different vets and lots of dietary explorations. In this last episode that we are still in, he has chewed off fur from tail and legs. Currently on Andanestron, reglan, pepsid, prilosec, sucralafate, aloe and gave him his first dose of Thuja today- though goofed and put in his food. I bought some great products from Dr Dobias and Standard Process including Canine Enteric Support, though I don't think he will be able to tolerate any of them right now.

He has been scoped 2 times though next time they want to go down lower and he has been screened for Addisons. I really believe it all started with an overload of roundworms and his DHPP vaccines. I only gave THuja once last year and didn't continue because of what was going on. Is it too late now almost a year after vaccines to do any good? Was gonna try it for 3 -5 days from my reading on the web. Any other suggestions? I have tried alot of alternative things like ginger last year which helped, and apple cider vinegar which I think hurt. I blend all his food for easier swallowing. He has had segments of time where he did well though after a month or more started having raspy breathing and roaring with heavy exercise over 5 - 10 minutes. Diagnosis in May for the breathing issue, was the inflammation of the esophagus. He is currently on Honest Kitchen Beef and starting Stella and Chewy's Beef and because he quickly gets a distaste for food after a few days of regurging, his old salmon canned Nature's Variety Instinct is what gets him to eat the other. I do want to get him totally on Stella and Chewys and off the potatoes and flaxseed though."

Dear Cherie-

I am very sorry to hear about the problems that your pup is having. He's very lucky to have such a dedicated human companion. I agree with you that the early history of recurrent roundworm infestation is indication that his gastrointestinal (GI) immune system is not up to snuff. The worms may also have predisposed him to future problems including his current dis-ordered motility. Recurrent parasitism is commonly seen in pets with other GI issues.

As you probably realize, all of his problems are interrelated. Even the HOD. Early age vaccination is a huge cause of problems in the patients that I see. Unfortunately, there is no one remedy that can address the energetic imbalance that may result from vaccination (or any stressor). For example, Thuja is not an antidote to vaccination. Homeopathic remedies are chosen by the individual's response to a stimulus. Not the stimulus itself. There are a few exceptions and these are often called "specifics". These remedies are used commonly in many similar clinical situations, e.g. Arnica after an injury and Ignatia after a loss However, not every pet develops a bruised sensation after an injury or feels grief after a loss so these remedies would not be indicated. In general, the sooner that an imbalance is treated, the better. No matter what the cause. However even years after a triggering stimulus, like a vaccine or injury, homeopathic remedies can help the body restore harmony.

But I digress. Most important is to improve your dog's quality of life. If his symptoms are currently well controlled on his medications, then the best place to start is with his diet. Fresh food and meat based. As simple as possible. No fillers. Ideally, gluten free (check the Honest Kitchen ingredients). I find eggs to often work wonderfully in this situation and many consider them to be nature's perfect food. If he can tolerate them that is. I suspect that you have already tried many foods, but novel proteins are often best. Rabbit, venison, pheasant, etc. Avoid foods with high histamine levels. This includes many fish like tuna, mackerel, amberjack, etc. Also avoid high fat foods that will slow emptying of stomach contents and may predispose him to reflux.

Physically reduce his regurgitation and aid emptying of his stomach by feeding from an elevated surface. Many bigger dogs can be taught to eat off of a baby's high chair. A dog named Bailey even had his severe regurgitation from a megaesophagus managed this way. It worked so well, that he helped design a feeding station that is named after him.

You've tried various supplements and some can indeed be very helpful. The liquid aloe vera that you are already using is a fantastic choice. Make sure that it is a pure, preferably organic, aloe vera juice. A good prebiotic/probiotic supplement is essential. There are many on the market. I use several in my practice including Rx Biotic and Nutrigest from Rx Vitamins for Pets. Other important supplements in management of GI reflux and sensitivity include deglcyrrhizinated licorice (DGL), marshmallow root extract and slippery elm. The human supplement GlutAloeMine from Xymogen can be very helpful and contains a synergistic blend of aloe, DGL and glutamine.

My bias is to treat based on his present and past history, laboratory findings and examination using Hahnemannian homeopathy. Homeopathic remedies like Nux vomica, Colocynthis, Phosphorus, Arsenicum and Sulphur are among many that may be very useful in the management and improvement of his signs and symptoms. Proper potency and dosing are as important as remedy selection. Ideally you would work with a vet who both is well trained in vet homeopathy/holistic treatment and understands pathophysiology and pharmacology.

Be well

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom