• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

What to do About Blood in a Cat's Urine?

JaniceJ

VIP Member
Registered
I am needing holistic support for my 14 year old female cat who has had a UTI for at least 6 months. The practice I go to has different sites and I have been directed to different ones during this time to get treatment for my cat. She has been prescribed at least 3 different antibiotics. The last antibiotic given is Amoxicillin. She has been prescribed this again after a 3 week span of administering this medication. She started passing blood in her urine yesterday, so I had her seen yesterday. I have been told various things by all the different doctors. One doctor told me the medication she may need actually could cause me to have a low blood cell count. We took my cat to the ER on Christmas day as she was not defecating and throwing up. That doctor was the one who said the amoxicillin would be the antibiotic for the bacteria that was found in a urine sample. That doctor told me that that was wrong information and if I wore gloves I would be ok with administering the medication. Previously I was told the bacteria found was treatment resistant. But then I was told amoxicillin was the right medication.

I have been doing alot of research online and know that she needed probiotics which I asked for, but I am running out of these. When I took her into the Vet yesterday they told me they could not get urine - which I find hard to believe as she is going all the time. I was supposed to go back for that today but both me and the cat are too stressed out to continue treatment there.

She is eating and drinking water. It seems she wants to get better. I need some advice as to homeopathic treatments. and whatever else can be recommended. She may have neuropathy issues as her gait is not normal. She may have fallen off a cat tree, her leg seemed to be hurting- that is why she was taking to the Vet in the summer. They discovered the UTI then and she had her first antibiotic then.

They are not treating the whole system - what is the best food to feed her, what herbs or homeopathic remedies can help? The answer is so much more than antibiotics, but that's about all that has been recommended.

Please help!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Janice, and welcome to HA! Thanks for making your first post. ?

I'm sorry to hear about your kitty's UTI and other physical symptoms.

Yes, "antis" are not the answer. Working with her body and her natural healing ability is.

How's her BEAM (Behavior, Energy, Appetite, Mood) been in the past 6 months?

Has she had prior episode of urinary issues?

What does she eat?

Sorry for the many questions, but getting the full context of her condition will let us interpret her symptoms holistically. That will help you gain better control over her health and clarity about what to do next.

We'll sort all of the questions and answers out in this thread and when we talk today.

I'll also come back to this thread later today between appointments...

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Welcome Janice,
You are so wise to realize that the whole cat needs treating, not merely one symptom or another.

Certainly grab a probiotic for your kitty. If she liked the one you got, get a refill of that. Another you can order on-line that most cats tolerate is Mitomax.

If she is eating dry food and canned, stop the dry and just feed the canned until you have read some more here at HA! about fresh food feeding.

You can also order (unless you have a wonderful local pet health food store) the herbal combination Tinkle Tonic from Animal's Apawthecary/Animal Essentials. While you are working out your next steps that may help.

Dr. Christina

JaniceJ

VIP Member
Registered
I will order the Mitomax, dealing with Piper Vet in Middletown is very difficult to say the least. Its so hard dealing with all the different doctors and their perspectives which are not similar with what she needs. We brought her to the ER on Christmas Day as she had not defecated in days and was throwing up. They were able to help her and in fact those doctors at the Hospital part of Piper were great. I made an appt to a different Vet for Saturday in Higganum for Saturday am. A urinalysis had not been done in the past month. Do you think I should go ahead with that?

We do feed her canned food. She loves the probiotic. She always has been a good eater, bu she does get bullied by the two male cats in the house. They are two amigos, like to rough house with each other. We have 8 cats in total. The other 5 cats are in their own separate rooms. I have been her person as I have cared for her the longest - 14 years. She has had other urinary infections.

I will also order the herbal tonic.

Thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for the great HMDM call today Janice! It's wonderful that you will be starting to activate her natural healing abilities.

This post is a reminder of what we discussed and for general info. and in case any other HA! community members whose kitties have similar issues.

To add context, it's helpful to know that this condition (feline urinary issues) were initially called "FUS" (feline urologic syndrome) secondary to hypothetical "causes" like eating food with fish, magnesium, crystals in the urine, etc. his same syndrome then became called FULD (feline lower urinary tract disease) and FIC (feline interstitial cystitis) and just IC (idiopathic cystitis).

Now it is known as "Pandora" syndrome because of the wide variety of symptoms and triggers.

The reason I'm sharing all of this is that it's a splendid example of the progression of physiologically based veterinary medicine. The energetic basis however has not changed at all. Like any dis-ease (imbalance) it is a reflection of the body's response to some external stressor.BALANCE (2020).jpg

Here, it is your kitty's response to the emotional stress and conflict created by bullying from the other cats.

The best way to deal with this conflict is by avoiding the stressful situation, but that is not always possible. So instead, environmental enrichment and especially adding hiding places is super important (see #6 below):

Avoidance of stress (or a virus, toxin, etc.) is wonderful, but is less than 1/3 of how you can help when you use the HA! ASC method. Exactly as you did Janice, we should all "ask" what more you can do when the conventional methods aren't working.

S=support the body while it heals and we discussed using pheromone diffusers, essential oils and increasing cellular energy with fresh (and especially raw) food.

C=cure the underlying imbalance which is the most important thing we can do IMHO.

Let's discuss this further below. I look forward to hearing how your addition of boxes (hiding places) and raw food works for you.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom