Watch a puppy grow...

Dana

Your own Dr. Sara Fox Chapman did a fabulous job breeding, whelping, and raising this litter of 10 Bernese Mountain Dog pups.
Sara also gave us all detailed weekly updates. It is my intention to try to continue updates on 1 of these pups so we can all watch a puppy grow...

Murphy came home to Greenwich, CT on Mothers Day, May 12. He was 1 day shy of 9 weeks old.
Just to catch you up... @ birth on 3/11/19 Murphy weighed 0.88 lbs, on 5/9 - 14.2 lbs, on 5/14 - 18.1 lbs, on 5/23 - 20.4 lbs.

BEAM...
Behavior: Very mellow most of the time. Murphy is cautious with new people and situations. Given coaxing and time, he becomes playful and loving with everyone. Attentive during training and seems to understand easily.
Energy: As with most puppies, Murphy's energy comes in bursts. He takes a long nap in the morning and another in the afternoon with additional short naps after romps. Bed time is around 9 and he is up at 6:15.
Appetite: Exuberant! I have never seen a dog that loves his meals so much. He is eating 8.5 oz of Oma's Pride frozen RAW 3X/day = 1.6 lbs per day... He LOVES all the varieties; chicken, turkey, beef & rabbit. + Fish oil @ breakfast, pumpkin @ dinner time.
Mood: Seems happy most of the time. He is timid but that seems to be improving as he builds his confidence.

Symptoms: The only symptom at this point is that Murphy gets the hiccups after eating. We have tried to feed him in a larger bowl to slow him down.
IMG_1757.jpg
5/12/2019 going home to Greenwich, CT

IMG_1866.jpg
5/13/2019 9 weeks old

IMG_2027.jpg
5/20/2019 10 weeks old meeting our yoga instructor

IMG_2093.jpg
5/26/2019 11 weeks old (almost)

Dr. Sara

Veterinarian
The phrenic nerve that leads to the diaphragm is not completely mature in puppies, kittens, and human babies. This is one reason why immature animals are more likely to get hiccups. Eating too fast can be another reason, though even when they eat slowly, the little ones can have 'exploding' bouts!

Dana

Week 12: LOVE this pup!!
Weighing in at 25 lbs. Murphy is becoming quite the social animal. He now loves meeting new people and dogs... The timidity seems to have passed.
IMG_2259.jpg

BEAM...
Behavior:
Murphy is learning quickly... he knows sit, down, stand, stay, come, touch and we are working on "wipe your feet". We cant seem to understand the bells on the door yet. He is still a placid boy who enjoys company and his playpen.
Energy: I would not say he is high energy but he does have his moments. He is still taking 2 long naps per day and goes to bed around 8:30.
Appetite: Murphy loves his food! This week we had a chicken wing which was very tasty! so much so that I decided to put 2 wings (the single bone) in his lunch and before I knew what happened, they were gone. We had a bit of diarrhea that afternoon :sick: . We also got a raw bone, broccoli bones and he enjoys the base of a head of celery as I am drinking the celery juice.
Mood: Murphy is a happy guy.
IMG_2135.jpgIMG_2156.jpgIMG_2210.jpgIMG_2222.jpg
IMG_2245.jpg

Dana

Week 13:
Murphy is growing up fast... he is now 28 lbs
BEAM...
Behavior:
Murphy is happy to go anywhere... yoga, the high school, out to dinner, the fire house... he correctly believes that almost every new person that he meets will give him a treat. Murphy gained a new level of confidence when he followed a fellow Berner into the water.
Energy: remains the same
Appetite: he still seems ravenous even though we upped the amount of food to 10.2 oz of RAW food 3X per day = almost 2 lbs per day!! This is in addition to his treats. We introduced him to corn on the cob this week.
Mood: Happy guy (still not sure how "Mood" differs from "Behavior"?)

Symptoms: tiny bits of dark brown sleepies in the corner of his eyes in the morning.

Last edited:

Dana

Week 15:
I figured you did not need an update EVERY week :rolleyes3:
Weighing in at 33.4 lbs

We have been participating in 2 different puppy classes every week. The first is at PetCo where we thought we would get to play with other puppies... as it turns out it is just Murphy and his sister Siren :confused: but we are getting ver good at sit, down, stand, come, stay and touch in a controlled environment. The second class is with a wonderful trainer, Sarah Hodgson. She works more on socializing skills. This week we were at the Apple store with Siren, Zeus (a 13 week old BMD) and Finley (a labradoodle who is staying with us for 3 weeks while my son in in Italy). We worked on "under" to have the dogs sit quietly under the counter.
BEAM...
Behavior:
Murphy is eager to please and a perfect angel.
Energy: naps are becoming shorter and his stamina is growing.... but when he is done, he is DONE!
Appetite: Murphy BOUNCES at meal time. :dog2: While his weight has gone up, I cut to 10oz of RAW per meal 3X per day. The recommended amount for his weight is between 7.125 & 14.24oz per meal. @ 10.2oz I thought he was getting a little chunky and he does get quite a lot of treats. He now has a nice waist line.
Mood: Happy puppy!

Symptoms: nothing to report
IMG_2435.jpeg
IMG_2399.jpeg
IMG_2494.jpg
IMG_2415.jpeg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, thanks for sharing these adorable pics Dana.🙏

We'd all love to see more Murphy pics!

You can keep all together by posting them in a media gallery album.

Dana

Happy 4 month Birthday Murphy!

Weighing in at 39.4 lbs

We graduated puppy class at PetCo this week... see picture below. It has been a bit of a rough few weeks for training... Finley, my son's dog was with us and I also had my 2.3 year old grandson with us all last week so needless to say, my attention was elsewhere. I did not realize how much my telling the child "NO!" (which happened A LOT) would effect Murphy. He regressed a bit as far a house braking and the fear issues I mentioned in an earlier update came back. This week we are back to a more regular schedule and on track.

BEAM...
Behavior:
Murphy is frightened of some inanimate objects... the white compost pale, the bells on the door which he is supposed to ring to go out, the "smart toy" that he should use his nose to open and get treats.... We are working on "touch" with the hope that he will eventually touch all of the offensive things and move on. Murphy love to give hugs. It is really cute but I am not sure how well it will be received when he is 100 pounds.
Energy: Murphy has more energy now. He enjoys zoomies in the morning and has just discovered the sprinkler which is a BLAST!
Appetite: His lust for food has not changed. We are feeding 10oz of Oma's Pride, alternating between chicken, turkey, beef and rabbit with the occasional chicken wing and/or organ thrown in 3X per day. I have been juicing celery for myself and Murphy loves the base of the celery stalk. He also enjoys carrots and broccoli bones (the stems).
Mood: Cautious but getting braver.

Symptoms: The occasional eye boogie. Murphy has an itchy neck quite often... I look for ticks, burrs or any other irritant but have found only 1 tick.

IMG_2537.jpgIMG_2542.jpgIMG_2544.jpg
IMG_2752.jpgIMG_2809.jpgIMG_2823.jpgIMG_2861.jpgIMG_2873.jpgIMG_2886.jpgIMG_2888.jpg

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Congratulations on your graduation Murphy!

I bet you were the cutest in your class.

Yup, you're right Dana. 100 lb. hugs are not so cute.;)

Continue the great socializing and training.

Pups go through temporary fear periods, but with love and continued exposure to new places, sights and sounds, over time (probably well before he reaches 100#!) he will be fine.

Keep an eye on his eye discharge and neck itchiness. With his great Vitality, these too should resolve over time.

Keep us posted.

Staff online

Members online