• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Vitamin B12 Deficiency

LaurenZ

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi, I'm looking for support around addressing low B12 levels in my 11 year-old tuxedo cat, Oliver. My conventional vet recommended B12 injections (0.25 ml) beginning with 1x per week, tapering to every 14 days, then monthly from then on. I was nervous about giving him the shots and felt awful when I had a vet tech do it and Oliver hissed when it was injected. I emailed Dr. Jeff who suggested Rx B12, an oral tincture: the bottle recommends 1 ml per day. I've been trying to add it to his food but he's a picky eater to begin with so isn't consuming the required daily dose that way. Not sure if it's better to force a dropper full of it in his mouth everyday or have the vet tech give him the injections. Also, I'm not sure how to even determine the proper RX B12 dose based on prescribed injection dose of 0.25 ml. Thanks for any info and support!

G

ginnyw

Well, I'd want to know the background on the determination that B12 is needed. What's going on with the kitty? Is he eating an adequate raw-based diet? I think I'd syringe the oral med into his mouth, and follow with a treat of some kind. That said, a sub-cutaneous tiny injection into the skin between the shoulders shouldn't be a big deal at all. You could "practice" on a stuffed animal with an empty syringe...

LaurenZ

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks so much for your reply Ginny. Sorry I'm late seeing this and replying. Your questions and suggestions are super helpful. I'm facing bigger issues now as my cat's been diagnosed with small cell lymphoma but he's getting B12 injections now (Like the idea of practicing on a stuffed animal; like your syringe into his mouth idea even better!) I'm pretty new here and am considering a raw-based diet and, for sure, asking more questions about the determination of low B12.

Keely Parr

All-Access Member
Registered
Based upon a vet's recommendation, I have been using Cobalequin for my cat and I crush the pill and put it in his food. It comes in chicken flavor. You can order from vetrxdirect or ask your vet to prescribe.

Regards,
Keely

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks Keely. Yes, the Nutramax formulation you mentioned is a very good one.

It may not be absorbed as well as the Rx B12 and definitely not as well as the injections that Lauren is using.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom