• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Vaccinations are required in order to fly with cats

RadikaT

Registered
Hello,

We are moving from USA to Costa Rica with 2 cats(females) one is Siamese(4,4 years) second I don't know we adapted her around 3 years. We called the closest veterinary and there's bunch of thing that needs to be done in order to take our cats with us and of course we need some vaccines I am very confused what should we do or not. Anyone here traveled with cats what did you do? any experience will be appreciated

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Radika-

That sounds like a super exciting move!
Anyone here traveled with cats what did you do?
I've never moved out of the states with cats, but have helped with quite a few who have.

Every country has their own individual requirements. Almost all of them require rabies (CR requires it 30-365 days prior to the move).

And they also require the other annual vaccinations within 30 days of the move.

There really is no getting around this.

The best for the kitties is to make sure they are well balanced 6-8 weeks before giving the jabs and for a few months afterward.

Working on the kitty's vitality and balance, with a trained vet homeopath is very useful.

You may also want to read and watch the HA! 101 course and vaccination ebook and other resources.

In case you haven't already seen this;

RadikaT

Registered
Hi Radika-

That sounds like a super exciting move!

I've never moved out of the states with cats, but have helped with quite a few who have.

Every country has their own individual requirements. Almost all of them require rabies (CR requires it 30-365 days prior to the move).

And they also require the other annual vaccinations within 30 days of the move.

There really is no getting around this.

The best for the kitties is to make sure they are well balanced 6-8 weeks before giving the jabs and for a few months afterward.

Working on the kitty's vitality and balance, with a trained vet homeopath is very useful.

You may also want to read and watch the HA! 101 course and vaccination ebook and other resources.

In case you haven't already seen this;

Thanks so much! Any recommendations on the animal hospitals that can do that? We are in Connecticut Fairfield county. Called 5 animal hospitals they do not do international passports..

Also super anxious about what to give to cats while travelling with the plane the Siamisse cat is very sensitive to changes. So afraid to loose her.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks so much! Any recommendations on the animal hospitals that can do that?
I think my friend Dr. Lazarus is USDA certified to issue international travel papers. He's also a great guy and great vet (and surgeon):

Also super anxious
So afraid to loose her
She'll do fine. Cats (even super sensitive ones) usually do fine with plane rides.

When you first move, you may want to keep in your room in the new house and not let her wander. This will help her feel more sure. Flower essences can also help like:

@Dr. Jean Hofve may have other suggestions.

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
You need an accredited vet who is authorized by USDA to write international health certificates. (That reminds me, I have to renew my accreditation by the end of August!). The State Department may also have some good information for you pertaining to CR. I also have an article somewhere on LittleBigCat.com (I can't access it right now but use the search box at top right for "Traveling with Cats." It's an older article but may have some good ideas for you. Best wishes on your move!!

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
While we encourage limiting vaccines, your mindset is important. Only some cats are very susceptible to vaccine damage. There are many things our bodies successfully resolve on a daily basis. To give an occasional required vaccine is not to be worried about, especially as you follow the suggestions to maximize health and vitality, which is important fot he stresses of the move as well.

Again, for all the stresses - plane, vaccine, new living - your positive thinking will make a huge difference. Listen to Bernie Siegel and Anitra Frazier's talks here and on you tube to underline the power of love and good thoughts.

And maybe get Stress Stopper from Jackson Galaxy - for cats and people. Have a wonderful move - Costa Rica is a lovely place to live with caring loving people.

Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom