• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Transition puppy from rural CT to New York City

StephanieC

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello all, My first post so quick intro. Lengthy post with two main question 1) periodic days when he doesnt want to eat anything till end of the day….and then back to regular schedule, 2) taking him from rural CT to NYC has been socially fun for him but challenges with bowel movements (now back to normal).

Intro:
Our puppy is Cooper. Shichon, Male, 5mo, 9lb. The sweetest thing we could have asked for. Very resilient dog. Easy going temparament. Rarely barks or whines. Loves social interaction. Very playful. Not very excited by food or treats. We typically feed him soft boiled egg in the morning, and chicken or beef fresh meal from Farmers Dog or homemade boiled chicken with some veggies (2/3rd protien 1/3 veggies). Our little fella struggles with biting kibbles and now doesnt really go for them.

We got him at 2mo and he has been in rural CT for the last 3mo. We are now taking him down to our place in NYC.

Question 1:
He generally keeps a regular schedule but every so often (say 1x/week) he has no desire to eat in the morning…..and then just rests. Can be partially active but generally restful. Doesnt eat anything offered. Then around 3-4pm he will begin to eat and by end of the day would have eaten normal quantities and back to full self. This happens every so often and we dont understand why? Any feedback much appreciated.

Question 2
He absolutely loves NYC. He is so social that he loves meeting new dogs. Every time we step out he is meeting new dogs/pups and he wants to play with big dogs, small dogs, pups and older dogs. Super super social. Doesnt want to go back home. We call him “Mr Mayor” who loves to greet his constituents.

After first couple days in NYC he developed an issue with his bowels. One night he woke up and wanted to do his big business and had 3 visits in 4hrs. Not well formed bowels. He stabilized thereafter. We kept him hydrated. We also have him Arsenic Alb 30 by crushing a pill and also putting another in his water. That helped him and by end of the next day we fed him some boiled chicken broth and then he also ate some boiled chicken. He was back to normal the next day. But the following night, repeat of the same issue. Again by end of the following day he started to eat and back to normal. We are back up in rural CT and he is back to his schedule and finally had regular bowels.

we suspect he may have picked up some virus/bacteria from another dog or licking stuff on the sidewalks. But the surprise was, he felt like normal after a day later but then back again to the bowel issue and then normal after another dat. Any feedback? Particular advice for NYC? Arsenic 30 or do you suggest something else?

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
thank you for making your first post, Mike. You were nice and specific.

As you read the fundamentals, and other posts about BEAM, diet, and the holistic mindset, you will begin to look more at the overall quality of life and see any symptoms in that context - and you have an outgoing, playful pup.

Keeping a journal is a very good idea so you can, on the future, remember what was working the best for your pup.

some questions about the not eating that may help you see the trigger for it.
1. Does the not eating and resting day come after a very busy, fun, stressful, full of newness day?
2. Is Cooper really out of it when you say resting, or will he totally perk up for a walk or play?
3. Is it related to anything happening with the people in the house?

In the wild, dogs definitely fast, so just not eating is not a problem.

It is fine that he does not want to eat kibble. There is no need to feed kibble at all, since it is processed. It does not help keep teeth clean. Chewing on big hunks of meat or chicken backs/necks, etc (raw) will help the teeth.

There are several options for you about the diarrhea.
1. Become a patient of a homeopathic veterinarian now, to maximize health and longevity.
2. Carefully list every symptom associated with the diarrhea and urging to defecate. Time of night. Way it comes out (all at once, or lots of straining and tiny amounts). Way is looks and smells. How is he about it - fearful, no big deal, super tired after or energetic after? Then see if Arsenicum album materia medica (in at least 4 or 5 different books) still seems to fit. If yes, give 3 doses of ars alb, in water, shaking 20 times or so, about 10 minutes apart. This is to give a bigger push to the vital force.
3. Unless recently checked, I would have the stool checked for parasite eggs, then post the result before deciding on treatment.

Dr. Christina

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
I also think it's no big deal for him to skip meals - and egg alone just might be a contributor to looser stools, in any case. Wild dogs don't even eat every day, and fasting has great benefits.So I'd like to see him ideally move towards one meal daily. I agree that how he feels when he poops has a lot to do with it - if he just poops it out and goes on with life, it's just a mechanical issue of wet stuff going in and coming out. If he acts ill, or has two or more loose movements in a row, one might be more inclined to treat - but even then, dogs are really good at just disposing of stuff and getting on with it. We don't have to treat for everything:) In any case, fasting is a good response, and won't hurt him any. Don't feed if he isn't eager to eat....but keep us posted:) He's going through a lot of changes, but will learn to deal with them. Be easy and upbeat, and don't worry.

StephanieC

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks @GinnyW and @Dr. Christina for your thorough responses. Love this forum already.

Will keep diary. Your feedback is re-assuring.

On the diarrhea will keep notes for future reference. Also, Cooper had been diagnosed with Giardia in March but after some medication from vet we did another stool test literally a few days prior, and he was cleared of all parasites.

As for his diarrhea, it was 4:30am, 6:30am one day and 1:30, 2:30, 4:30am next day. No fear or anythjng out of ordinary…just matter of fact. Small quantity. Started from mustardy/smelly less formed bowels to cow pathy mustardy/smelly to mustardy/smelly puddle like. All small quantitites (Cooper is a small dog). So it wasnt like he was loosing lot of liquid. He was still very social and even at night wanted to stay on the sidewalk longer (he is Mr Mayor afterall). Will back check Materia medica but he is back to normal now.
Thanks again

StephanieC

All-Access Member
Registered
Also, Cooper is so social when he was out for his walks in NYC, that its possible he was getting overly activated. Next time we are in NYC will also try to keep that more in check. He is so eager to meet other dogs and in NYC if you sit on sidewalk outsiderl our building, 10 dogs past in 30min. The hyper activity may also be too much for him so will keep that in check as well.

StephanieC

All-Access Member
Registered
Update on Coopers meals. Having spoken to @Dr. Jeff and seeing feedback from others including @GinnyW am not concerned. But wanted to out out there on the forum to see if we are missing something.

So feels like Cooper has shifted to one big meal closer to 4-6pm (a boiled chicken thig /veggie) and then a small meal around 7-8pm (small bowl of farmwrs dog fresh food). He almost eats nothing in the morning and ocassionally will have a small treat. BEAM is good. Bowels are typically 2x per day. But from a 3 meals a day puppy he has very quickly graduated to this pattern. This whole week with all days of varying activity levels, thats been his meal pattern. Am following his body’s rhythm. Pls tell me if we are missing something.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great, Mike!

Consider feeding more of a raw variety at 4-6pm. Perhaps rotate Rawganics, Darwin's other frozen raw blends, other whole meats, organs, glands, etc.

Variety, variety, variety...

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Just what I would have said! Raw food is natural food - perfectly designed for the body to utilize. At, what, six months of age, he is perfectly suited for both variety and raw, and these will ensure that his system is flexible and capable of absorbing nutrients from a variety of foods.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Thanks for commenting Ginny! Awe-some that we agree.

Interesting article! Well worth a bit of perusal, although it gets a little predictable and scholarly in the main text. I highly recommend reading the Executive Summary with which it starts!
So, it begs the question: Do our pets feel awe? Yes, I believe so, although it will be different with the species and personalities. The closest Yuji has come is likely a huge, drippy, greasy neckbone: "ALL that for me, Mom????" Will it make him feel diminished, or closer to me? Not a chance:)[/url]

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I agree about only needing to read the summary of the article (in addition to some of the references).

What do you mean here:

Will it make him feel diminished, or closer to me? Not a chance:)[/url]

I don't know about our dogs feeling awe, but they definitely get happy. A lot!

Archie starts his day with super exuberance. Is it because he got an extra big handful of Wisdom food or an extra large raw egg (his morning snacks)? Maybe, but I think it's just plain super, happiness from getting any treat...:dog2:

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
I agree about only needing to read the summary of the article (in addition to some of the references).

What do you mean here:

(....)

I don't know about our dogs feeling awe, but they definitely get happy. A lot!

Archie starts his day with super exuberance. Is it because he got an extra big handful of Wisdom food or an extra large raw egg (his morning snacks)? Maybe, but I think it's just plain super, happiness from getting any treat...:dog2:
Yes, precisely that:) One of the conditions of awe was supposed to be feeling somewhat diminished, "in awe", in other words - or to feel an increased closeness to others.... So I would not imagine my dog feeling that sort of self-consciousness. Definitely "Oh, WOW!" though, when given extra pleasure. If my dog isn't happy whatever he's doing, though, we fix it. Start happy, get happier...

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom