• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

The Worst Punishment Possible?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
This is another of my non-dog trainer tips. I'm sure that @jenbridwell, @beccak @jsqueglia etc. will have other thoughts and comments.

IMO, most dogs (and some cats) love being with and getting attention from people. Especially from someone in their family pack.

Attention can mean anything from petting, talking to them, or even just making eye contact.

Attention is great!

One popular and effective method of training and promoting bonding is keeping your new pup on a leash (I don't think this would work for cats).

Our own fearful rescue pup Archie was on a leash almost 24/7 for the first 18 months of his life with us.sitting on Nates bed.jpg

Attention can provide positive reinforcement for many behaviors.

On the other hand, putting a dog in a time out, and ignoring bad behaviors are often very effective ways to stop them.

Next time your pup is jumping on your leg, try looking away and not giving the jumping any positive reinforcement.

JoanD

All-Access Member
Registered
That is the cutest picture and perfect for illustrating your point!

JaninaL

All-Access Member
Registered
24/7 for 18 months?!
My puppy Wini loves to run very fast at times, sniff and wonder in the garden so I wondered if the leash would get in a way and she may get stuck somewhere too?
Could you please tell me a little bit more about it?
Many thanks
Janina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes Janina. If he wasn't in his crate, he was on the leash.

Being on a leash is a direct connection between your heart and your pup. It fosters bonding and helps prevent future dis-connection from you.

The idea is a constant communication between you two.

Your maintaining a visual connection or using a long lunge works similarly.

As with children, most dogs love being watched over and having boundaries, within reason, set.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom