• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

The Tragedy of Gracie Lou

JodyLT

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Hi Everyone - @Dr. Jeff suggested I post this part of a post I wrote in 2015, after being contacted by a pet parent in Michigan as he was losing his beloved dog. The rest of the article includes all of the research I did back then on this disease and the vaccines being given for it. Happy to pass that along if anyone is interested. It may be somewhat dated, though, and I know you have a lot of resources here on this platform, as well. Now, on to Gracie Lou and my friend, Gerritt.

THE TRAGEDY OF GRACIE LOU

It all started when I got an email from Gerritt. He'd been advised on Facebook to reach out to me for help in connecting with an organization that might assist him with his really high vet bills. His nine year old Jack Russell Terrier love of his life, Gracie Lou, was deteriorating rapidly at an animal hospital in Grand Rapids, MI., and Gerritt was very distraught and didn't know what to do. Just days earlier, he'd brought Gracie into his local vet for her vaccinations. At that time, Gracie was what seemed to be a very healthy, active dog. His vet, who will remain nameless, recommended Gracie Lou be given the new L4 vaccine to prevent Leptospirosis. Gerritt, trusting of his vet like many of us, said ok. A cursory examination of Gracie was done - a look at her gums, palpating parts of her body. There was no discussion of pros and cons nor of the risks involved.

Gracie was given the shot. Within a week, she was in renal failure, and rushed to a well-known veterinary hospital. Gracie rapidly became unresponsive, her lungs filling with fluid. After doing everything they could for her, a couple of days later, Gerritt made the decision to put Gracie Lou to sleep. Devastated he'd so suddenly lost his baby girl and frightened of the financial ramifications of what he'd just experienced (having to put $5,000 down on his credit card to begin treatment, with only a small Social Security Disability Insurance monthly allowance), Gerritt needed answers and he needed help.

How could this previously healthy dog decline so rapidly?

Gerritt agreed to let me tell his and Gracie's story for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, he doesn't want any more pet parents losing their babies to this vaccine. He asked me to inform people about this disease, the vaccine and to always ask questions of our vets. He wished he'd asked more of them. Also, and I offered this, I wanted to see if I could raise money to help Gerritt pay his exorbitant vet bills. Like us, he's a loving dog parent who's grieving and trying to cope with his very difficult financial situation. He still has no definitive answers as to why Gracie Lou got so sick, despite a necropsy and more post mortem tests the labs are doing. Maybe we can ease some of his pain…

Lepto-Gracie Lou collage.jpg

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
@JodyMY Thank you for sharing Gracie Lou's story :( I once questioned a vet (conventional) if all those boosters/shots were necessary...He said "yes, if you want your Koby [my pup] to live a long and healthy life." :confused: I trusted him wholeheartedly:mad: Lesson learned.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
@JodyMY Thank you for sharing Gracie Lou's story :( I once questioned a vet (conventional) if all those boosters/shots were necessary...He said "yes, if you want your Koby [my pup] to live a long and healthy life." :confused: I trusted him wholeheartedly:mad: Lesson learned.
When the vet asks if you are here for the vaxes today, just say "not today" and that puts the cork in the bottle usually. My dog had titers for distemper, parvo etc... and she was still good, protected immune after 9 years....

LilF

Community Member
Registered
When the vet asks if you are here for the vaxes today, just say "not today" and that puts the cork in the bottle usually. My dog had titers for distemper, parvo etc... and she was still good, protected immune after 9 years....
Hi Everyone - @Dr. Jeff suggested I post this part of a post I wrote in 2015, after being contacted by a pet parent in Michigan as he was losing his beloved dog. The rest of the article includes all of the research I did back then on this disease and the vaccines being given for it. Happy to pass that along if anyone is interested. It may be somewhat dated, though, and I know you have a lot of resources here on this platform, as well. Now, on to Gracie Lou and my friend, Gerritt.

THE TRAGEDY OF GRACIE LOU

It all started when I got an email from Gerritt. He'd been advised on Facebook to reach out to me for help in connecting with an organization that might assist him with his really high vet bills. His nine year old Jack Russell Terrier love of his life, Gracie Lou, was deteriorating rapidly at an animal hospital in Grand Rapids, MI., and Gerritt was very distraught and didn't know what to do. Just days earlier, he'd brought Gracie into his local vet for her vaccinations. At that time, Gracie was what seemed to be a very healthy, active dog. His vet, who will remain nameless, recommended Gracie Lou be given the new L4 vaccine to prevent Leptospirosis. Gerritt, trusting of his vet like many of us, said ok. A cursory examination of Gracie was done - a look at her gums, palpating parts of her body. There was no discussion of pros and cons nor of the risks involved.

Gracie was given the shot. Within a week, she was in renal failure, and rushed to a well-known veterinary hospital. Gracie rapidly became unresponsive, her lungs filling with fluid. After doing everything they could for her, a couple of days later, Gerritt made the decision to put Gracie Lou to sleep. Devastated he'd so suddenly lost his baby girl and frightened of the financial ramifications of what he'd just experienced (having to put $5,000 down on his credit card to begin treatment, with only a small Social Security Disability Insurance monthly allowance), Gerritt needed answers and he needed help.

How could this previously healthy dog decline so rapidly?

Gerritt agreed to let me tell his and Gracie's story for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, he doesn't want any more pet parents losing their babies to this vaccine. He asked me to inform people about this disease, the vaccine and to always ask questions of our vets. He wished he'd asked more of them. Also, and I offered this, I wanted to see if I could raise money to help Gerritt pay his exorbitant vet bills. Like us, he's a loving dog parent who's grieving and trying to cope with his very difficult financial situation. He still has no definitive answers as to why Gracie Lou got so sick, despite a necropsy and more post mortem tests the labs are doing. Maybe we can ease some of his pain…

Lepto-Gracie Lou collage.jpg
I was really saddened to read all this. Hopefully, spreading the word will indeed save other lives. Gracie Lou looks like a sweet, gentle soul....I can only imagine the loss......Tears....

JodyLT

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Thanks for your comments, @ChristineL Yes, I do rabies titers for all my dogs, too and just say no to the others outright. When my Sophie had an echocardiogram recently, they did blood work before and this vet as routine without me knowing tested her titer for parvovirus distemper. She said, Oh Sophie doesn’t need to get that now; her titers are high; she’s good. I told her Sophie hasn’t had a parvo distemper vaccine since she was a puppy. She’s 11. Her face was priceless and she said, some dogs have all the luck. Indeed. ?

JodyLT

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Thanks for your comments, @ChristineL Yes, I do rabies titers for all my dogs, too and just say no to the others outright. When my Sophie had an echocardiogram recently, they did blood work before and this vet as routine without me knowing tested her titer for parvovirus distemper. She said, Oh Sophie doesn’t need to get that now; her titers are high; she’s good. I told her Sophie hasn’t had a parvo distemper vaccine since she was a puppy. She’s 11. Her face was priceless and she said, some dogs have all the luck. Indeed. ?
Thank you for your comment @LilF. I never knew Gracie Lou but Gerritt has become a friend and he asks me to repost my blog post when spring hits every year. I hope it gets out there and helps others too.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Wow... great!!! Sophie DOES have all the luck---with you as her advocate!!! Titers are the way to go. Just thought of another thing some like to do and that is "update the shots while under anesthesia!!!" OMG, that is a disaster but something to beware of also. Don't want to find out too late.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Wow... great!!! Sophie DOES have all the luck---with you as her advocate!!! Titers are the way to go. Just thought of another thing some like to do and that is "update the shots while under anesthesia!!!" OMG, that is a disaster but something to beware of also. Don't want to find out too late.
Thank you for your comment @LilF. I never knew Gracie Lou but Gerritt has become a friend and he asks me to repost my blog post when spring hits every year. I hope it gets out there and helps others too.
Amen to that!!!

JodyLT

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Where are donations to be sent for Garrett?
You're a sweetheart, @JoanD. This article was written back in 2015. Since then, lots has happened but Gerritt is doing well now. Thanks so much for caring and offering. :)

JoanD

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks for letting me know. I was so sorry to read what happened and am glad things worked out with his bills.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom