• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Tetanus for horses

AngeleL

All-Access Member
Registered
good evening,
I don't vaccinate my horses, and they have been very healthy for many years. The only one that I usually keep every 2 years because my vet says so is the tetanus shot.

Why is it that we human can get the shot every 10 years and horses 2? it doesn't really make sense to me, i would appreciate your input on this. :)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Why is it that we human can get the shot every 10 years and horses 2? it doesn't really make sense to me
Yes, it's hard to understand (especially for a non-horse vet like me).

It may be a question of the horses increased susceptibility and potential exposure to tetanus.

Hopefully, someone with more horse experience than myself will also reply. @Dr. Jean Hofve @Dr. Christina @Dr. Sara

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
The horse tetanus vaccine is not the same as the human one, if I remember correctly it is tetanus toxoid for horses, for which the immunity is not as robust. But it's been a long time since I had a horse, and I haven't kept up!

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Dear Angele,
The Veterinary Partner site has information regarding animal infection. Horses are far more susceptible to tetanus than dogs; cats are extremely resistant to tetanus. I have seen tetanus in a horse and a dog, and it is quite a frightening situation.
https://veterinarypartner.vin.com/default.aspx?pid=19239&id=4952625

The CDC publishes statistics on human infection with tetanus. Globally, tetanus is a serious problem in people, as wounds are often not treated promptly, and sanitation can be problem. Tetanus is present in the soil, and in many countries the soil has a lot of tetanus organisms. In the US, there is a high rate of tetanus immunization, and a high level of sanitation and cleaning of wounds. In the US, virtually the only human infections are among intravenous drug users and people who have had one or no tetanus vaccinations. However, humans are less likely to have neglected wounds than horses. Many horses are not observed daily, and puncture wounds of a horse's foot are easily contaminated with soil bacteria.

Both humans and horses are given the tetanus toxoid for tetanus prevention. It is questionable if horses that are observed and examined daily need the toxoid any more frequently than people. My own horses did not receive the tetanus toxoid once they lived with me, and they did get wounds, which were promptly and holistically treated. However, your horse's needs depends upon your unique situation and comfort level.
I hope this helps,
Dr. Sara

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom