• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Suspicion of Hemangiosarcoma on 7yo Dog's Heart

AnnaC

Community Member
Registered
Hello,

Hopefully I am posting here correctly (I'm a new member).

I had to bring my 7yo Potcake to the ER Tuesday night because he was in a lot of pain. They found fluid around his heart that they were able to successfully drain. They also were able to see a very small mass on his heart but they were not sure if it was a blood clot or hemangiosarcoma. They sent him home on Yunnan Baiyao.

They don't want see him for another two weeks, but in reading how aggressive this cancer is, I don't know that he can wait that long. Also, from what I can tell, when it's on the heart, they can't exactly diagnose it so they go by other factors.

I have I'm Yunnity Turkey Tail coming tomorrow and he will also start that as soon as it arrives. I also am switching up his homemade food to give him much less rice and will add in Dr. Harvey's Paradigm.

The only story of hope I've read about is a pit bull that is using YB, I'm Yunnity, and chemo and has lived for almost a year now (he also has on his heart).

If anyone can suggest other things that I should be doing right away, I would greatly appreciate it. I never in a million years thought I would be losing my dog so soon.

Thank you.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Anna!

I'm super sorry to hear about Potsie.

I see you submitted a new client form with more details, so I will take a look at that and get back to you.

Even before I do, I wonder what seems to bring him the most "cellular joy" (and make him the happiest)?

AnnaC

Community Member
Registered
Hi Dr Jeff,

Thank you for responding so quickly. We are grateful for any and all support!

I would say the things that make Potsie the happiest are seeing his favorite humans outside of the ones he lives with, wearing clothes, basking in the sun, cuddling with his little sister Birdy, and eating carrots and corn on the cob (although based on his possible diagnosis, I think those veggies probably need to be cut out of his diet).

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
YW Anna.

Would your schedule allow cooking/preparing lots of extra small "Happy Meals"?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi again Anna!

I just looked at Potsie's new patient form which shows:

Diet
Breakfast: a little Solid Gold kibble along with oatmeal and blueberries
Dinner: a little kibble along with a mix of ground turkey, vegetables, and rice
You may want to start focusing on increasing his vitality by transitioning him to a fresh food (no kibble) diet with minimal or no carbohydrates/grains.

Small Batch is a commercial raw diet I love which is not processed (and no HPP) and has lots of heart in it (heart is a high bio-energy food).

Perhaps also try sniffing games and using a snuffle mat with tiny bits of freeze-dried heart.

AnnaC

Community Member
Registered
Hi again Anna!

I just looked at Potsie's new patient form which shows:

You may want to start focusing on increasing his vitality by transitioning him to a fresh food (no kibble) diet with minimal or no carbohydrates/grains.

Small Batch is a commercial raw diet I love which is not processed (and no HPP) and has lots of heart in it (heart is a high bio-energy food).

Perhaps also try sniffing games and using a snuffle mat with tiny bits of freeze-dried heart
Thank you! I will look into Small Batch! I was thinking about avoiding raw and slowly simmering all of his meat -- what do you think is best? I started him on Dr Harvey's Paradigm vegetables today too to cut down on the bad carbs -- he didn't love it, but he ate it. I also just ordered beer liver and heart from a farm in MA; I should have that this week.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom