• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Super Barky and Demanding

novasimpson

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi! I wanted to discuss Tater Tot :) She is a 13 year old shih tzu -very sweet and super barky. Several weeks ago, she became over-reactive to sounds -loud noises on tvs, sneezes, loud cabinet door closing...

Her last remedy: sulphur q1 15/1 qtip, was giving daily x5 days then changed to twice daily x2 days, last dose 5/20 am. I stopped bc I wasn't sure if I was suppose to continue indefinitey and on 5/20 she started dragging a bit on her walks.

Since then, she still reacts to noises but doesn't seem as intense and when I sneeze she just pops her head up vs running away. She has had some deeper naps (she doesn't wake up as soon as I move around). Twice, she has started walking away from us when we are outside and moving toward our parking lot. And she more often will go out back on the patio and look in watching us. I do often have my two toddler nieces around that can be quite "rowdy"

She seems a bit over-energized? some nights she doesn't want to go to sleep and will smell around or whine/bark at me. Sometimes she wakes up during night and does the same -I usually let her outside to pee (or give her treats) and she will go back to sleep. In the morning, if she wakes up before me (6am and I am hoping to sleep until 7-8), she wakes up, shakes off and barks until I give her treats, get up or sometimes I can scratch/pet her and she will go back to sleep. When we are sitting in park, she will start barking to get us moving -she often wants to be on the move. When my nieces are over she barks most of the time! I have her snuffle and give her chews and attention and try to play but she is super barky. Throughout day if she isn't sleeping or out for a walk, she is often barking at me. I have been handfeeding Toshi and that gets TT really worked up at times!

She has been sleeping on the hardwood floor more, rarely goes into her den. She has been running hot and pants more. She gained ~1 lb over the last month (I think with the snuffling, chews and me trying to get my other pup to eat -TT has been getting extra food) -I decreased what she gets per meal and trying to get her walking longer! Toshi is in the stroller more often and sometimes TT will refuse to walk and wants to go into stroller too.

Her eyes which she has had issues with are back to almost normal -her right eye still is a bit dry at times. And her poops have been mostly good to really good (on scale of soft-formed, good, great, perfect).

How do I decide on next step with remedy? Should I restart the BID dosing indefinitely?

Thank you all! :)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Excellent question, Nova!

No, it's best not to use a homeopathic medicine indefinitely.

Ideally, any human or animal patient only needs to receive 1 dose, or series of doses. Continuing to give a remedy can be a clue to palliation or covering up of symptoms.

In Tater's case, look closely whether the remedy has helped her overall. In the past week of not dosing. If she continues to improve, then continue to wait. It also may show that a dose of a higher potency like Sulphur Q2. would be helpful.

These are tough decisions, so let's discuss them the next time that we consult about her.

novasimpson

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you Dr Jeff!

I wanted to ask too about "mirroring". We usually have Toshi in stroller and now Tater will more often drag on walks or stop walking and I will put her in the stroller.

TT would mirror Toshi when they were younger. If Toshi was scared of vacuum, Tater would "act" afraid of vacuum.

Has anyone else noticed this between their lil beasts?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes!

It is common for energetic and emotional states to be shared among individuals close to one another.

That's why it's helpful to stay upbeat yourself and to keep Tater occupied with fun things to do until Toshia is ready to interact with her more.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
There are certainly a lot of things going on in your household.

It seems that once you stopped giving the Sulphur, there was an improvement in several levels, such as the noise sensitivity. Patience is needed now, so maybe you can create a daily flow chart that will help you know when something new is needed.

Maybe once an hour you can take 2 minutes to record how much time was spent barking, how often she would not stop, if you know the trigger (kids, etc). Once you sort of know (and you may already), you may be able to just have a chart and make check marks or put in numbers.

Also, for the "often barking at me" and the barking with the kids are around - you may want to consult with Jennifer Bridwell for some behavior modification.

You may also want to begin, if you have the time, Tellington T Touch. I think that can be very useful with these behaviors.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Awe-some post Dr. Christina! Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts.

novasimpson

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you both for your input and advice!

I do think there is so much attention on Toshi (stroller, attention, special foods) and my level of anxiety is throwing Tater Tot off. I think some dedicated time with her would be helpful!

She is barky when we stop moving on walks and barky for more food :). She has gained some serious weight -like 1+ lbs (on a 10-11lb doggie) with all the chew toys and snuffle mats and new processed treats!

Thank you!

jenbridwell

All-Access Member
HA! Faculty
I have to echo Drs Jeff and Christina's advice- patience- but in a different way! Barking has paid off for her, and you have inadverdantly taught her that persistence eventually pays off, because you eventually give in and treat her. So, you can wait for quiet and reward that or you can find a way to interrupt the barking in a non- emotional and with as little personal involvement way as possible, like smacking a magazine or newspaper on a table, a shaker can or squirt bottle. What you pay attention to gets bigger, so avoid even telling her to be quiet- anything is better than nothing for a lot of dogs, so just getting a reaction can be "rewarding" for them. I'd suggest recreational bones when needed to keep her busy when the toddlers are there - and only at those times so they're novel and special.

Have you tried doing nosework vs snuffle mats for her? They require much more physical and mental energy and are more tiring, which might be beneficial in her case before bed!

In addition to TTouch, I'd also consider doing a body wrap for 10-15 minutes a day.

novasimpson

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you so much for your advice! Yes I have definitely encouraged this behavior. I have been squirting water at her (mostly just have to show the bottle).

Do you think nosework at home is useful? And bodywrap -is that part of TTouch or do you mean like a thundershirt?

Thank you so much for your help! ♥️

jenbridwell

All-Access Member
HA! Faculty
Here's a link-

TTouch body wrap

Yes, nosework at home (box drills/ hides ) might help keep her mentally occupied and help with excess or nervous energy.

Threatening is generally not advised. If you're moved to get the bottle, use the bottle!

Looking forward to hearing how it goes!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom