• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Struggling with chronic rhinitis diagnosis

LaurenS

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi! My dog's name is Rosie. She is approximately 9 or 10 years old and is a neutered Puerto Rican street dog (breed mix is hard to tell) of about 17/18 lbs.

Her behavior is naturally quiet...almost a bit lethargic with short bursts of energy/play now and then. She is soft natured, but knows what she likes and doesn't. (Likes: me, food, a few select people. Dislikes: rowdiness, puppies, exercise)

She is very food motivated. She had been eating Fresh Pet but I am in the process of changing her to Honest Kitchen.

She was vaccinated with the typical vaccines, but I did not vaccinate her for Parvo. She had a seizure before on flea and tick meds so I give her topical Revolution now.

PRIMARY PROBLEM: Rosie started having thick snot come out of one nostril 4-5 months ago. It has progressed now to coming out of both nostrils and seems to be much worse in the morning or anytime she has been lying down sleeping for some time. It is really affecting her quality of life as she cannot breath well and often has to open her mouth to breath. It is worse in the air conditioning and she can't do much play or exercise because she starts sneezing and hacking. Her nose/sinus area is hot to the touch so is probably pretty inflamed. I did find out the house I was living in at the time had mold, so I wonder if this could have been a trigger?

She was diagnosed with chronic rhinitis after a lung wash, nose culture, and CT scan. Anti-histamines did not help. Antibiotics helped a bit, but not much. Prednisone also helped a bit, but not much. They want me to try an immune suppressant now, but I am hesitant to do so. The thing that seems to help the most is having a warm mist humidifier by her bed all night.

I am hoping to find natural solutions and answers. I'd like to know why this happened and how I can help bring down the inflammation in her sinuses.

Other health issues she has: She was very sick as a stray when I found her on the street when she was 2 years old (starved/mange/broken leg). She has permanent incontinence due to an issue she was born with (manageable). She also has latent viral meningitis that has flared up a couple times in her life. More recently she had a bout of bronchitis/pneumonia they think happened from aspirating some of the phlegm she constantly has due to the rhinitis.

Any advice would be welcome! Am open to lifestyle, food changes, supplements etc. Thanks!!

Lauren and Rosie
620BE66E-715E-4146-8896-64865B8530BB.jpeg

Last edited:

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Wow, Lauren, Rosie was blessed to find someone who is now looking for holistic help.

Because of the multitude of serious problems I strongly suggest you immediately select a homeopathic (or chinese medicine) veterinarian to help rebalance her energy field. Unwinding the many symptoms her vital force has created in trying to get balanced may take several years, so using Holistic
Actions to learn patience and understanding how we become ill and heal will be very necessary.

Step one - schedule your 15 min call.
2 - Take the holistic health for pets 101 class. In Lesson 5 is a link to finding a holistic vet to work with (or go right away to HolisticActions.com/select).
3 - Go to the resource library and click on the homeopathy box. Even if you do not use homeopathy, you will understand a lot more about health.
4 - Start keeping a Healthy Dog Journal for Rosie.

Dr. Christina

LaurenS

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Dr Christina,

Thank you for your message! I should specify that the only issue she is facing now is the chronic rhinitis. The other things happened over the course of her life.

I will definitely take the course and find a holistic vet.

Any advice on what to do to help the rhinitis in the meantime?

Thanks!

Lauren

aruna

Cat mom
Administrator
All-Access Member
Hi, Lauren,
So Dr. Christina covered a more long term approach - and all the references are amazing for you to understand WHY Rosie is experiencing symptoms (usually there is nothing "wrong" with the nose, it's a deeper internal imbalance and a big picture approach can help her relieve of it and other symptoms). SO by focusing on improving Rosie's vitality (and getting support from a homeopath), you are supporting her body so it can heal (Pet Health 101 course is all about that).
However I understand your desire to help Rosie immediately since she is struggling - did you have a chance to look at our respiratory section yet? It has some great resources for more immediate relief solutions as well as long term health approach. And if the mister seems to work right now, keep using it! Best of luck with Rosie!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Lauren!

Maybe start with the 3 thing we discussed during our HMDM call:

1. Introduce some fresh foods into her HK diet

2. Use freeze dried hearts to play the outside Hunt for Treats game

3. Try using:

LaurenS

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you both. I have started the sniffle game, started adding fresh food. and ordered the supplement above. I also am waiting to hear back from a holistic dr in my area for an appt.

I was wondering what your opinions are on colloidal silver. My holistic horse vet in Europe recommended giving it to her in a cool mist nebulizer with water. Thoughts?

LaurenS

All-Access Member
Registered
Hey Lauren!

Maybe start with the 3 thing we discussed during our HMDM call:

1. Introduce some fresh foods into her HK diet

2. Use freeze dried hearts to play the outside Hunt for Treats game

3. Try using:

I was wondering what your opinion is on colloidal silver. My holistic horse vet in Europe recommended giving it to her in a cool mist nebulizer. Thoughts?

LaurenS

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi, Lauren,
So Dr. Christina covered a more long term approach - and all the references are amazing for you to understand WHY Rosie is experiencing symptoms (usually there is nothing "wrong" with the nose, it's a deeper internal imbalance and a big picture approach can help her relieve of it and other symptoms). SO by focusing on improving Rosie's vitality (and getting support from a homeopath), you are supporting her body so it can heal (Pet Health 101 course is all about that).
However I understand your desire to help Rosie immediately since she is struggling - did you have a chance to look at our respiratory section yet? It has some great resources for more immediate relief solutions as well as long term health approach. And if the mister seems to work right now, keep using it! Best of luck with Rosie!
Hi, I was wondering what your opinions are on colloidal silver. My holistic horse vet in Europe recommended giving it to her in a cool mist nebulizer with water. Thoughts?

aruna

Cat mom
Administrator
All-Access Member
As far as I know, colloidal silver is a great antimicrobial - kills virus and bacteria - so if that was the cause of Rosie's issues, it would definitely help. Which I doubt it is. The respiratory tonic that Dr. Jeff recommended actually supports the body - the mucous membranes, tissues and organs so that they can do their job better. But colloidal silver is pretty safe to use and won't hurt if you want to try.

LaurenS

All-Access Member
Registered
As far as I know, colloidal silver is a great antimicrobial - kills virus and bacteria - so if that was the cause of Rosie's issues, it would definitely help. Which I doubt it is. The respiratory tonic that Dr. Jeff recommended actually supports the body - the mucous membranes, tissues and organs so that they can do their job better. But colloidal silver is pretty safe to use and won't hurt if you want to try.
Wonderful thank you.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom