• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Standard of care when using holistic, alternative, homeopathic, chinese medicine question

LilF

Community Member
Registered
This question came to my mind and was curious as to the answer. Medical boards in both human and veterinary medicine require a standard of care. That implies using a certain protocol for each disease. Like my vet as an example follows the standard of care for polycythemia and investigates accordingly suggesting x ray, ultrasound etc... and if that diagnosis is made there are certain standards like phlebotomy or the chemo drug to treat. If they don't do that, aren't they out of compliance. But in alternative and the above medical practices, the standard of care is not followed (or it would not be alternative medicine). I guess I am asking, if my own vet wanted to use something not in the standard of care to treat polycythemia is that ok with the med boards. Like I think one of my vets over the years mentioned CBD oil for a dog but would not sell or recommend that formally but holistic vets do that all the time, What is the difference as to how they can practice that way but a strict allopathic vet might get into hot water.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
in alternative and the above medical practices, the standard of care is not followed
Another great issue that you've raised Lil!

You're right regarding standard of care, protocols and "cookbook" medicine. However, it's super easy to practice standard of care (SOC) and then go far above it to achieve earlier detection of dis-eases, better proactive prevention and get better treatment outcomes by embracing alternatives ways to treat dis-ease at the same time as practicing standard of care medicine.

SOC is strictly based on the physical and physiologic paradigm based in "disease" management.

Any method that targets subtle and cellular energy production and flow is alternative.

Things like nature therapy, puppy pranayama (aka sniffing), positive emotions/unconditional love, etc. are known to improve mitochondrial function and decrease dis-ease.

However, these are also outside of SOC and are not commonly "prescribed" by vets (some human docs are starting...).

Walking the middle path and getting the best of both worlds is what we recommend here at HA! (as you know all so well!).

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom