• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

SQ Fluids - Putting dog at risk for CHF?!

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
I thought to post this question here re SQ Fluids in case others may have the same/similar question....

I picked up the SQ fluid kit from Koby's local vet today. I did not talk to the vet directly as she's off today. However, the tech relayed the message that I could be putting Koby (who has heart disease) at risk for Congestive Heart Failure if I give him SQ Fluids incorrectly. She said, if it's done at the vet's office, they'd check Koby's weight and bloodwork results first to determine how much fluid to give. However, per Koby's record, he's been given 100mL each time in the past.

I'd also reached out to Koby's cardiologist's office - the tech (not the vet) said if too much fluid is given, fluid may built up in lungs, which is something we need to avoid. That I understood, of course. But she did not have the answers to how to determine how much fluid to give based on weight and she's never heard of getting blood work each time before fluid is given.

Has anyone here heard of such SOP (weight, bloodwork...etc.) for SQ Fluids?
@Dr. Jeff @Dr. Christina ? Thank you.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.pdf
    201.9 KB · Views: 0

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great question Christine!

Yes, it is critical to balance the "ins and outs" (fluids going in, weight, urine production, even central venous pressure) for intravenous fluids given to pets or people with heart and kidney dis-eases who are at risk for fluid overload.

However, the risks of fluid overload from subcutaneous fluids are minimal.

I've also never heard of checking blood work before giving SQ fluids.

Since Koby is a small pup. you would only need to use ~75ml if he has fluid and electrolyte loss from recurrent vomiting, diarrhea, not eating or drinking, etc.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom